You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

All fresh threads on COVID 19 will henceforth be deleted.

Members are requested to please note that all COVID19 related threads will henceforth be deleted. It is disheartening to note that despite locking threads and passing on information that all aspects related to COVID 19 should be discussed in this thread opened for the purpose only, we have members posting separate threads touching upon the different aspects related to the issue. I hope members understand what we mean when we say 'all aspects'. It definitely means anything and everything related to the subject including details about the virus, effects, precautionary measures to be taken, action by the authorities, reaction of the public, lockdowns and its effects and so on. It should be noted that a single thread has been raised with a purpose and all are expected to respect the intention.

The threads that have already garnered some responses will now be locked and any fresh threads will be deleted.
    When every aspect of virus sharing brought in one thread, then surely it is defeating the real purpose of members raising the threads which need to be discussed as in single post hoisted by ISC discussions not taking place.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The thread has 44 responses. Who has the time or interest to read the entire length of the thread, to find something of value? I don't. Bits of information discussed in bite-size topics will get more readership and responses.

Wrong decision, absolutely.

One common thread for the Coronavirus is not a good decision. There will be so many aspects of this subject. It will not be interesting to discuss all the aspects in a single thread that will not have any continuity of a particular aspect. I hope the decisions of this type are not taken in the future. I am unable to understand the logic behind this.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Mohan, Juana, Neeraj and KVRR,
    I don't agree with you all. It is not hard but very easy to maintain all in one thread if we have the intention to track and follow it. One need not go through the entire thread responses again and again. An active member will know the thread permanently hanging on top and know the latest response he has read it and responded. Do what we do like in an active GD. Just put up your information related to COVID as a response to that thread and let the members read and post their responses. The only thing is that your response will not fetch more points.

All members interested in COVID related issue should visit the COVID thread very frequently and know what is happening with COVID.

If required, in the response itself, you can put up a title and follow it with a summary. And at the end put the phrase "Let us discuss"

Title: A thread within a thread
    I request ISC to allow the members to create a Title in Capital letters or bold letters or underline it in their responses.

Where there is a will there is a way. Let us keep COVID intact in one place and break it, Let us not allow it to spread as different threads. Let COVID not spread into the ISC forum.

Members, Your comments, please

No life without Sun

SuN
    Some specific information related to this virus spread cannot be explained in a common thread. For example, when Italy will be able to plateau this spread, How and where, in which country the epicenter of this virus is shifting, How this virus is formed/ created, naturally? Or artificially? How it cannot be a bio weapon? etc..etc.. cannot be discussed in a common thread.

Neeraj,
    Yes. Surely and certainly we can discuss anything and everything related to COVID in a single thread. My suggestion would help to improve the thread. We can put everything together and make a mountain on COVID. Net browsers who are really interested in COVID would go through the entire thread and understand it well.

I would say that in the forum section, the discussion is not taking place. Only information is being posted as a message and response. It is like a question and answer forum. No serious discussion takes place on the subject. It is only the active GD where valuable discussion and real argument takes place.

Members should not be selfish to post their own information only. They should also have the patience to read others' responses in the thread and respond accordingly.

I have raised a sub-thread within the COVID-19 thread. Just get in and respond.

No life without Sun

When the country is facing the serious threat of viruses, the ISC seems to face the threat of space it seems. I bet many might have not gone through the responses given in the main thread. We are not doing the group discussion here, we are talking about something affecting the country and people and each area is having some news or the other. And the net users are staying put at home and browsing for every information, in that case, ISC has the edge of covering the happenings across the country by virtue of having our members pan India. Therefore I feel like tieing down by hands in this matter
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    No life without Sun

don't feel any problem in discussing all the parameters related to a particular issue in a single thread. If we have no time to read all the posts we can quickly have a glance and mention our point in our response. But this problem is not very common and once in a while only comes. So we can try this as having multiple threads will lead to the repetition of the subject in many threads.
    But sometimes what is happening is some of the threads are missing the attention of the editors and they are continuing. This thread is causing a problem to the authors whose threads are got locked.

drrao
    always confident

Avoid personal attacks.

As stated earlier, we raised the one thread as per instructions from the Webmasters. It prevents the repetition of information in similar threads. It helps us to monitor responses as well through the single thread and stop misinformation that may spring up in the text of threads and responses that otherwise may get overlooked. Please cooperate.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

It is the right decision that the author took. There is a solution that all members can satisfy. If possible, you can put sub-threads in the main thread related to Covid-19. I mean that you can ask number of doubts and can get answers from the same thread. The author gives chance to us discuss various points on the subject, so whether it is question or answer. Therefore, no need to worry to start separate thread on Covid-19 issue.
    I believe in a positive attitude. I like those who criticize me.

ISC,
    Since the main common COVID thread has been locked, very important threads that need the attention of ISC members should be permitted at ISC for discussion.

Such threads can be first kept in 'New Submission' and then approved or deleted. Such threads should be monitored only by the Managing Editor, not by any other editor.

The 'New submission' in the forum section is lying idle and unused. The section is not used after 2017. Let ISC make use of that section at this time of crisis.

Also, there are three forum threads in the "pending' section out of which two threads are 60 days old. Should ISC keep a thread for two months in pending status? ISC ME should do something. Either approve or delete. A thread should not be kept in the pending section for more than 10 days after which it is considered old.

No life without Sun

Members are requested to hold on. The matter of either re-opening the COVID 19 thread or starting a new single thread is being discussed with the Webmasters. Please refrain from posting anything on/ related to COVID 19 till a final decision is conveyed.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Dear Webmasters and members,
    Here are my arguments to have more threads on COVID 19 rather than a single thread. Why?
    (1) If we consider the single URL for all type of COVID 19 discussion, it will hardly fetch any traffic. What I suggest that ISC should allow separate thread (with separate URL) and this will increase the keywords in URL itself rather than single URL holding all the discussion. This will help with respect to SEO.
    (2) Users will jump to other pages or other websites because no one reads all the content of the page. Reader retention time will decrease.
    (3) With respect to AdSense revenue sharing, imagine the amount of contribution to each author who participates in the thread.
    (4) One can always link COVID 19 threads by backlinks to ISC pages only. This will increase the impression of ads also.

These are my points.

Dr. Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

ISC is an educational site, not an information bureau. ISC's forum section is a chat section of ISC where members discuss issues frankly in a casual manner. ISC doesn't want too many threads on one subject posted by various authors. Also, as suggested by you, one common thread would be difficult to go through. It requires patience and tolerance.

What I sincerely suggest is - Let members post their threads on COVID. Let ISC filter out the threads and select the appropriate threads for discussion.

No life without Sun

Dr. Paresh - the Webmasters have decided to re-open the one common thread and accordingly, we have unlocked it for responses. As was stated earlier, they wish to have a single thread so as to be able to monitor it. Multiple threads with multiple responses will be difficult to monitor.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Vandana Ma'am, according to me, it is not difficult for editor to manage multiple thread on COVID-19. Each thread will have its own essence and point. Members will abide to the rules set by the ISC. Final call will be up to the webmasters and editors.
    Dr. Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

Dr Paresh,

Please try to understand. First and foremost, this is the decision of the Webmasters and we have to abide by it. Secondly, they want threads directly related to it not to be raised separately (news, facts, suggestions, updates, etc), not indirect ones. You can see the indirect ones are very much active and are being responded to by members.

It is now experienced that the common thread is not interesting to many. There is no joy or seriousness in it. No one to discuss the corona issue there. During this emergency, it would be ideal for ISC to allow new threads on Corona. The whole world is behind corona and things are becoming serious, ISC is silent with corona.

My interesting thread "What if we lose a few to save a lot" has been buried by the editor.

Threads on Corona should be strictly monitored and handled by WebMasters only.

No life without Sun

Details have been shifted since the member is new- Editor.

• Sign In to post your comments