You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Who gave the police the right to beat the people?

The police department is there to help the people and keep law and order. These days we see many incidents of police resorting to beating the people mercilessly in the course of their duty. We have seen how the police behaved with Jamia students last year. When the public commits any mistake and violate the law, the police are required to arrest them and file a case. If the violation is of not serious nature, they may be counseled and warned not to do such a thing in the future.

The Government announced a lockdown to stop spreading of coronavirus and people are advised not to come out of the house. The people by and large following the directions and cooperating. There may be some instances where the public is forced to go out for necessities. We find many videos in which the police are beating the people with lathis with much force causing injuries. Who gave these people to beat the public? Why don't they first try to explain and make the people understand? The police excesses are to be controlled by the Government.
    It is time to handle the situation with iron hands. One person's lethargy could take away the lives of thousands and lakhs. This is not the time for counseling or rendering advice to someone. Everyone is made aware of the deadly virus and how it spreads. When the instructions are clear, people should go by it. Police has the authority to take charge effectively by any means. The carrot method won't work. Only stick method is the need of the hour.
    No life without Sun

I don't know about the other incidents but now the police behavior is very right. They are requesting the public to maintain the distance and not to come out without any necessity. But some people are coming out without any work for just time pass. They are putting themselves at risk and they are putting the other people at risk.

Police people are risking their lives and coming out and asking people to save themselves. Why these people are not understanding the risk involved. Telangana CM is asking police to be tough and take action.

I have seen on TV yesterday. One person came very fast and hit a check post and the police fell down and he had a head injury. For no fault of him, that police got injured. If we don't care for our lives then what for we will care. We should stand by the police. No way to stop this problem except keeping social distance.

drrao
    always confident

At times we hear about police excesses on ordinary citizens which is always deplorable but what we are noticing during this period is nothing like that. Rather, the police are tacking the situation with iron hand when casual people are violating the instructions of the government. The authorities are instructing people to stay indoors unless it is absolutely necessary and this lockdown is in force in a couple of countries. This lockdown is for our own safety and those who are taking it casually are facing the music. I have seen in my locality in WB that policemen are using microphones to alert people and instructing them to stay indoors, this exercise is carried out all over the country and when people are going out policemen on patrol are enquiring about the reason for venturing out. When they are finding casual people coming out for fun they are taking such punitive measures. But if police are acting in places where there is no clarity about the lockdown then I would say it's an excess, otherwise, I find nothing unusual in their activities of beating up violators.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

I have watched the videos of higher police authorities like DGP of some states requesting the public, with tear shedding from their eyes to be at home and avoid moving out on the roads without any reason. At this juncture, the police have the upper hand to deal with anyone in any manner. Let the public not give a chance to the police to check. Stay at home, play at home, eat at home, sleep at home, be at home and all at home. Never take your vehicle out of the home.
    No life without Sun

The basic point which I want to make is that when police resort to beating people, are they not taking the law into their hands? The person beaten may or may not be wrong. The present situation is very grave and strict adherence to the guidelines issued by the Government is to be enforced. Prior to resorting to punitive measures, the police are expected to find out why that person is moving on the road and then only take appropriate action. Leaving out the coronavirus situation, on many other occasions, the police are behaving in an excessive manner. The videos that are showing the beating by the police are so disgusting as they are using excessive force. The people are not doing anything violent. Then why such brutality is required? This excessiveness should be controlled by the Governments.
    One honorable Chief Minister violated the guidelines with more than 50 people accompanying him. No social distancing is followed. Why such people are not punished?

" Be Good and Do Good "

Police is facing a tough time. Besides other problems,which they have to tackle,there is a new situation for them. This is a period when there is a lockdown. This period prevents people to come out of their houses. Police also had made them alert not to come out,but people violeted the order,so police had to lathicharge.
    Service to mankind is service to God.

The toughest time is for the public who have to cope up with the lockdown. The NDTV has posted a news item vide" https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coronavirus-india-lockdown-e-tailers-complain-police-beating-up-delivery-agents-2200587?pfrom=home-topscroll", According to this news item, the police are beating up the personnel of E-commerce companies which are delivering the essential items to the public. The Government has exempted the online delivery of essential items to the public. Police with complete disregard to the instructions, obstructing and beating the personnel delivering these items.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Some videos have created this confusion. Some people are going as double or triple on scooters or bikes and just to tell them not to do it police is pushing them with a wooden rod. Police are just giving a push with the rod on their back and they are fleeing the place. It is not beating. We can say it beating when police takes their scooter and parks it at one side and then beats them for 5-10 minutes and then they understand their fault. I think we are confusing between pushing them softly with that of severely beating. Police never takes law in their hand. They only help the Govt in maintaining law and order. If we do not empower police with this much of little push then police is not required at all. Let people roam and picnic on the roads. They would be doing it on their own risk. Should we permit them to do so?
    Knowledge is power.

Lathicharge by police is very common to disperse the crowd. By looking at the lathi itself people fear and run. At this juncture, the police may warn with a lathi, not with a severe blow but a pat with the lathi. Police are also human beings and they know how to deal with the people softly and roughly as per the situation. There is nothing wrong if police beat up someone who talks back arrogantly with the police.
    No life without Sun

It is said when rule of law is superseded by rule of police then any action of police which can be measured as beyond proper limit is beyond any questionability however in democracy rule of law must be upheld at any cost .

Lockdown is a pre-emptive step to cope with the covid 19 and we must abide by the prescribed guidelines

As a respected member put it, the police may be pushing only with a wooden rod. The videos are so confusing. I am totally mistaken. Thanks to the member for enlightening me. Ours is a civilized society. How police can misbehave in such a civilized society? The police are angels who are enforcing the guidelines issued by the Government. Let us compliment them.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

The author is acting or he doesn't understand the seriousness of the issue we are facing at the moment. People in China and Italy who affected this illness, saying that we will come to know the difference of people who stayed at home and who gone out within the next two weeks. Those who lavishly gone out can get this virus and the video of who affected can view only with terror in the mind.

In such a situation our authorities requested to all people not to come out unnecessarily and we couldn't obey it. One man told that he came out to meet a Jyotish or astrologer that his marriage is not taking place and he needs to find a solution. So what to do with such brainless people? So the action from Police is right and they are not beating people who came out with a valid reason such as hospital cases and all.

So it is the need of the hour to stay inside our home and help to not spread this disease in our country any more. Countries like the US, China, Spain, Italy, Iran, France, Germany and the UK affected badly. As we know we are a country with more that 1.3 billion people and it is not a good view if anything bad happen here.

Regards,

Winners are too busy to be sad,too positive to be doubtful,too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.

This thread is of general nature about the police excesses and some excesses in the coronavirus lockdown are also mentioned. @691997 it was clearly asked how the police can take the law into their hands? Unfortunately, many members made this all about the coronavirus issue and responded accordingly. Let us discuss this aspect in a general manner. Do the police have the right to beat the people who are unarmed? I can understand police using force if the people they have to confront are unarmed or having an intention to create a violent atmosphere. This is what I wanted the members to discuss. For the Coronavirus, we have a separate and exclusive forum thread to discuss it.
    I have learned that for some beating is just pushing. The police force on many occasions is becoming aggressive and using excessive force. This is to be condemned and controlled by the respective Governments.

" Be Good and Do Good "

In simple words, I would say that the police would be soft to the polite, and would be rude and tough to the impolite. That's the reason why they are provided with lathis and guns. Unlike in the past days, the police are now our friends.
    No life without Sun

KVRR,

You did mention it in the context of the coronavirus in the text of your thread and hence accordingly members have responded.

I agree with KVRR. There is no call to beat up people. There are videos showing beatings, not just prodding, though if the video is not authenticated, it is hard to say if it is in the current scenario or not. Perhaps State Governments should take down their names and contact numbers and put hefty fines, which can be collected at a later date. Then again, this may be difficult as everyone caught will claim they stepped out to buy something essential. I feel people are just not getting the point that we need to control the spread of the infection and hence the lockdown was imposed. I feel the Prime Minister and Chief Ministers should address the public and explain the need for the lockdown more clearly. There are people who feel that only if they are in contact with a foreign-returned person they will get affected, that what's the big deal in walking outside when one is alone. I have tried to explain this in the article that I submitted yesterday, on basic do's and don'ts for COVID-19 lockdown.

If you are discussing it in a general manner, then, too, I feel that the police should not be beating up protestors. If they are genuinely breaking some law, let's say breaking a curfew or gathering to take out a rally without prior permission, then they should be booked/arrested. If beating up people is permitted, then why are rioters not beaten?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

When a rule is made and everyone is heeding to it, then why some people do not take it seriously and want to violate the law. The police have been telling the public not to venture out or else they would be dealt with. When the entire country is in shut down mode how come people take a risk and go out. And engaging verbal with police would cause further damage to them as the police have to deal with people for the whole day and anyone test their patience would have it. I do agree that when beating starts, the brutality from the police would be seen as they would take out vengeance from inside and the person faces the lathi charge would be bleeding. But police who caught the erring family riding on the motorcycle has called the person behind the jeep and beaten him rough and tough probably not to meet out punishment in front of the wife and children.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Police,who are equipped with whistle and lathi can use both or one of it to disperse the crowd or the person,who breaks the rule. But lathi blows should be aimed at back or hard portions. Delicate portion should be avoided. Especially head and upper parts connected with head should be avoided. Mumbai police restored to lathicharge on those people,who were out on road despite a nation wide lock.
    They were using smartly. But it is wrong to use it ,so that it causes injuries. Most of videoes, I have seen they used these on backs. Some times, they made mistake in using these on heads.

Service to mankind is service to God.

This is only the initial days of the lockdown period of 21 days. What happens on the first day would be remembered for the next 20 days. People will hear and fear the police control and beating the defaulters on the roads. It is a must, and police should ensure that they don't cause any injury to any erring individual. They should raise their lathi and beat slowly and softly. They should beat only on the buttocks where the thick flush can tolerate the beat.
    No life without Sun

Forget about the lockdown due to coronavirus and police action. Try to discuss whether police are justified in using force on unarmed people? Are they not expected to behave in a civilized manner? Can they take law into their own hands?
    " Be Good and Do Good "

I have often observed the author being driven by the emotions and so seems to be the scenario here. In the first place I object to few of the terms like,

1. Police resorting to beating the people "mercilessly". How come? Don't you get that if being "mercilessly" then what would have been the scenario?

2. "Why don't they first try to explain and make the people understand?". Dear Sir, from where they(public) have come from?

Few queries from the author as well,

Doesn't the author feel that the incidence comparing the actions of Jamia to that of current is completely irrelevant? Or then what the author is trying to accomplish the objective of by comparing this?

Instead of blaming the Police, why we couldn't have expected the far better intelligence & understanding from the public as well?

I don't get the ref. from the author,

1. "The people by and large following the directions and cooperating".

What do we mean by, "by and large"? As far as I understood then we also got a section of public who are not following the directions and cooperating. What kind of public or responsible citizens are they then?

Interestingly, in one of the videos, one of the girls got hit by lathis of the police. If by now we have started judging this whole episode then police action is unjustified and then we have human rights activists who got hurt of this hit but when we add with the remaining cut then she was seeing taking selfies along with her friend.

Whose fault in here?

The author in the main thread,

"The Government announced a lockdown to stop spreading of coronavirus and people are advised not to come out of the house"

Then,

"Forget about the lockdown due to coronavirus and police action. Try to discuss whether police are justified in using force on unarmed people? Are they not expected to behave in a civilized manner? Can they take law into their own hands?"

What we have been debating about then?

Mr. V.P. Anand:
    1. The public who are coming out is under a lot of pressure due to the lockdown. They need so many essential items to last these three weeks. Their anxiety makes them come out to get something or other that is necessary for the family. This is an unprecedented emergency and the police should deal with them in a manner such that they understand and not come out. Force is not needed.
    2. All people cannot fully understand the gravity of the situation. They come from various backgrounds. Some may understand and some may not. Even if some of them came out without any valid purpose, they should be properly warned. There is no need for using lathis and beating them.
    3. Jamia and many other incidents attracted the attention of the judiciary and one cannot forget what Justice Muralidhar observed in the Supreme Court. The coronavirus incident was mentioned as it is the latest. They are not compared but mentioned to make the point clear.
    4. The police is a law enforcing authority and they have powers that are to be used judicially. They are supposed to behave responsibly while dealing with the public who are not criminals.
    5. This is an unprecedented lockdown. The people of a vast country like India, are to be appreciated for accepting readily the call of the Government and following the guidelines. There will always be people who cannot appreciate the gravity of the situation. They need some more counseling.
    6. If you have time and patience, go through the content and also the response of Vandana. Try to understand with an unprejudiced mind.

" Be Good and Do Good "

People are going out in cars to fetch groceries. Nobody stops them, despite the fact that the social distance requirement is not maintained by them. That is, as per what was required, other than the driver, only two people should go seated in the back seat. Imagine five people in the car (including the driver). Even if it is the same family, what need is there for all of them to go just because the car is a big one? When all of them get out and go to the store, the entire point of caution is thrown to the winds. It is so exasperating! In my home, only one person stepped out on Monday (the day after the Sunday Janata curfew) to buy fruits and vegetables for this week. I understand that it is difficult for one person to carry a heavy bag. In that case, another person can go once the first person returns.

Now think of people who don't have cars, especially those living in the slums. What are they supposed to do? They will walk isn't it? Should the police beat them up or even tell them to go back instead of allowing them to buy essentials? As it is the poor have no earnings now with no work for daily laborers, maids, etc. They are struggling with no earnings. If they have a little money and they want to buy something at least for the kids, what are they supposed to do? Are they criminals to be beaten up?

It rests on the onus of each State Government to ensure (a) essentials can be delivered to those in need, and not merely residents of societies and apartment blocks, senior citizens, etc but also the poorest of the poor; (b) clarity in conveying the importance of the lockdown, that it is a must to stop it from spreading further, and not start community transmission. People need to be explained to and reassured in the proper manner, not with just bland speeches; (c) the police do not use physical means to maintain the lockdown.

Protestors are also not criminals to be thrashed. Rioters are.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

First of all Answer to the heading of this thread, "Who gave the police the right to beat the people?". The answer is - Government and Police Duty itself gave the police the right to beat the people who are causing any threat to society well being.

Police are also human beings, even they have risk of getting infected by this deadly Corona Virus. But still they are doing their duty in this hour of need. But some people just think of themselves very over smart and try to break rules. In Hindi language there is a saying "Laato Ke Bhut Baato Se Nahi Maante". This proverb suits the current situation perfectly. Police can not compromise law and order for the sake of such foolish people.

Government had allowed people going out for getting basic important necessities, such as medical help, grocery, milk, vegetables and medicine. Police are first inquiring the purpose of the person for which he/she has to come out of the house. Instead of co-operating with the government law and order, people are arguing with police and even fighting with them. which is utterly inhuman and foolish. Hence, I think police are doing their duty. We should help them instead of back firing them.

Life is God's Gift !! Appreciate Life !! Thank you Universe !!

Ms. Deepthi Shriram, you said that the " Government and Police Duty itself gave the police the right to beat the people who are causing any threat to society well being". Is it your assumption or is there any law about this? If there is a law quote it. They are unarmed people and are not criminals to use force by the police. They are not doing anything intentionally that may cause any threat to society. The people who are going out are also at risk of getting infected. What makes you feel that the people going out are there to break the rules? Can they not be going out on an emergency?

No one is blaming the police for their duty in this hour of necessity. What is expected of them is to behave in a civilized manner and give due respect to the citizens? The police are also beating up the personnel of E-commerce establishments who are out to deliver the goods. They have suspended their operations temporarily.
    It will be interesting to inform you about a news item that appeared in the NDTV. Mr. A.K. Tripathi, the Police Chief of Budaun in Uttar Pradesh offered his apology for the conduct of one of his officers who forced a group of people to hop along the main road with their bags strapped to their backs. One has to come down to the ground level and think of the difficulties of the poor people are facing.

It is not all about the lockdown due to the virus. At other times also the police are behaving excessively. How can we forget what Justice Muralidhar commented when he was in the Supreme Court about the Delhi Police behaving in a partisan manner? What about the police excesses with students? The police force should learn to respect the citizens who are not criminals.

" Be Good and Do Good "

KVRR,
    You should understand the situation. It is like a small little poison getting mixed to kill many innocents. One individuals negligence would cause many thousand deaths. So there is nothing wrong if one wrongdoer is lathi-charged to save many lives. What you have watched is a rare case that must have happened. Police are supposed to arrest and put them behind bars. Which is better - A simple lathi charge or jail life?

No life without Sun

Why members are unable to get out of coronavirus phobia? Why this topic is not discussed in a general nature? The incidents happening now are also strengthening my point of view. I have expressed my views. A further discussion does not yield any meaningful outcome.
    I request the editor to lock this thread.

" Be Good and Do Good "

I have been watching it on TV since this morning. Whoever does not follow the lockdown rules is punished. Until yesterday, the police had been well told. But young people in particular are doing such wrong things.
    I believe in a positive attitude. I like those who criticize me.

KVRR,
    We cannot be convinced. Police are the law enforcement authority and have the authority to deal with the situation in any manner. They have the right to chase, strike, beat, arrest and if required to shoot if anyone violates the law. Since it is very difficult to make you understand, I too go off from this thread and recommend a big lock to this thread.

No life without Sun

Don't we feel that unnecessarily we are exaggerating the things here?

If few of us are still not able to figure out about what the gravity of the situation is then its their problem and the others can't be made to pay on their silly performances. The author must understand that the individuals on the either sides are human being be this be the police or the public and therefore expectations from either side needs to be unbiased.

Today we have things under control because the police are being deployed outside or else we have the great personalities who are habitual of taking the things for granted and therefore they must be ready to face the consequences then.

In addition, I want author to stop spreading the untruth picture because as per him,

"The public who are coming out is under a lot of pressure due to the lockdown. They need so many essential items to last these three weeks"

Wherein the reality is that the essentials commodities shops including the medical shops are open on a daily basis including the mega stores like the "Reliance Fresh". Or in case what the author mention is the case then this is the results of the exaggerated rumours being played by few of us and the sad part is that these are never to be learnt by those.

Vandana,

You mentions,
    " Should the police beat them up or even tell them to go back instead of allowing them to buy essentials?"

Is it really the case that they are being beaten-up for buying the essentials?

Mr. KVRR,
    The whole world is watching this thread.
    Please understand that The Epidemics act of 1897 permits the police to resort to lathi-charge to prevent people from assembling. Remember, Section 144 is in force throughout India, and police can take any preventive measures.

Today morning, when I went outside to buy bread and vegetables, I came across a policeman wearing a mask and a small stick in hand. He approached me and asked in Kannada, "Where are you going?" I said, "I need some bread and vegetables." He said, " Okay, please ensure you keep 3 feet away from the public. Don't speak to anyone. Don't touch anyone. After reaching home, wash your hands thoroughly. You are old. You are prone to attack. " I said, " Thank you lot."
    This is what police behaviour here.

No life without Sun

One should not be judgemental.

The Government of India has decided the lockdown of the country under special circumstances with the powers it has. It is a welcome decision for the good of the country. This is not the subject under discussion in this thread.

One should be sensible while writing on a platform like this. Whatever incidents of police using force on the public have come in the news channels with videos. We have not discussed any classified information.

It was decided to stop this discussion as the topic was diverted due to some fault on my part while writing the content of this thread. What should have been a general discussion was diverted to some specific subject.

I have already requested the editor to lock this thread as there is no point in continuing with it. I hope the editor will take the action of locking this thread as there is no point in someone poking and trying to extend it.

" Be Good and Do Good "

If police is beating the lone people who are going to fetch some food or medicine then it is really a bad thing. On the other hand if police is beating the 3 boys on a bike and enjoying ride on the roads then instead of arresting them (as there is no place in jail also) a lathi on their back will give them a good lesson. These people do not learn without physical punishment.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

KVRR,
    It is your own good words
    "The Government announced a lockdown to stop spreading of coronavirus and people are advised not to come out of the house. The people by and large following the directions and cooperating. There may be some instances where the public is forced to go out for necessities. We find many videos in which the police are beating the people with lathis with much force causing injuries. Who gave these people to beat the public? Why don't they first try to explain and make the people understand? The police excesses are to be controlled by the Government."

The above statement of yours led to a serious discussion.

Now you are saying - The Government of India has decided the lockdown of the country under special circumstances with the powers it has. It is a welcome decision for the good of the country. This is not the subject under discussion in this thread.

Did you personally see what had happened for the police to use their lathis? What happened is known only to the police and the individual involved.

No life without Sun

If we take this thread as a general form, It is the duty of Police to obey what command they receive from the Government. All states in India have the same rule. Also at present, the Central government implemented Curfew like situation across the country. As we know what happened at the time of emergency imposed by Indira Gandhi. If KKR were in the streets, he should have enjoyed the lathi beatings. In Kerala, I remember the police killed an Engineering student Rajan and his body not recovered till now. It is a famous case between his Father Echara warrior against the state of Kerala. Father recently died without seeing his son's dead body. His demand for the court was as a Hindu, he need to do the last ceremonials of his son if he died and killed by police. Like that thousands of people struggled at the time of emergency.
    So the police have the authority to beat the common people in special situations. And now it is surely a special situation in India and if you don't want to agree that, please be calm and stay safe at home. If you want to protest and go to the streets, please do that and enjoy whatever gift you receive from the police

Regards,

Winners are too busy to be sad,too positive to be doubtful,too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.