You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread has won a Special Prize in the TOW contest for the week 10th to 16th May '20.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How to tell someone politely that their work is bad

This is something very important when you are in the deciding post. People come to you with ideas and sometimes these ideas are less than what's good. If you flat out tell them it is bad, it is gonna rub in a different way and if you politely tell, it is gonna rub in an entirely different way. You are not always supposed to entertain bad thoughts and reply politely. Sometimes harsh rejections are required, otherwise, valuable time can be lost in persuading. But this thread is about the times when you are not wanting to hurt anyone's sentiments.
    Whenever you tell someone that their idea is flawed right away, it hurts their ego and they feel you can't take them surpassing. We all love our creations of course. To us they are flawless. But when such lovingly crafted work or thought gets rejection, we show tantrums and moodiness.
    Here is what we can do to politely refuse bad or harmful ideas. First, after properly going through the entire work/idea, ponder for sometime before you give the verdict. This gives an impression that you are not biased. Then site the good things with the work or idea. If none, praise how the idea or work could have been presented worse but how it was not the worst now. Then finally cite properly, in detail about the cons in the work. Since you have established that you are not biased, impatient, indecisive or insentient, your words now carry weight. Rejection won't cause anger and rebellion. What do you think of this?
    Politeness is necessary to be kept while socializing or interacting with other people but if we're to check and supervise the performance of our subordinates pertaining to the task or work or assignment or responsibility or creativity or new idea etc for which we are accountable before higher authority in this situation caring about politeness is the trivial issue, but rather we should focus on how to make our working environment better as a team.

You are right. While dealing with a bad man or with a bad work or bad proposal or suggestion, have a permanent smile on your face. Initially comment as good even it doesn't. Thereafter use the words - This could have been better/ this would have helped/this would have been more pleasing/I suggest some change or modification is required/ Good but needs little improvement etc. Politely say that you expect something better. They would say - "You are right, Sir."
    No life without Sun

I think this is an art that managers must learn. People would come to the managers with myriads of ideas and plans and feel that they have told something novel and great and the manager would be obliged. In fact most of the times manager would be disturbed and like to annoy on this unsolicited plan and project presentation. But we are in a group and if one annoys and irritates one loses one's reputation and so as the manager also belongs to that group, the manager has to act as if he is listening the things with great interest. After listening the manager can cross question and find out the depth of the person suggesting that. Within a few questions the person would try to leave the scene because he has only things to present and he does not know how it would be implemented. Some shrewd managers go to the extent of politely suggesting the person to take charge of that new activity and get transfer to that place where that project is to be executed. This would be the last nail in the coffin and the presenter would leave the scene. So, good managers know how to politely deal with their subordinates.
    Knowledge is power.

Everyone expects the best appreciation for the work done and this is the natural reaction they want. But invariably we are not liking their creation or work and for that reason we have no right to say it bad. First try to appreciate small details of the work done and that would give the other person the feeling that some one has given attention to the creation. Then try to list out the flaws in such a way that the person should not get hurt. Tell in such a way that it would have been better to have presented this way or that. And lastly say that it is not that bad to criticism and have lots of scope for improvements.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

For everything there are ways as saama, dhaana ,bedha and Dhanda. The stages of intimating the others when their work is bad. Initially, we have to tell softly, second by warning, third by separating and fourthly punishing. If the doing person is of normal level he definitely adhere when we politely intimating the mistake or bad work. But some adamant persons normally do not admit their mistakes and their work is bad.
    But the pointing out person should also be cautious when pointing out the bad work whether the work is really a bad one.

True. These days really these skills are very important. Some times if the issues are small we may allow the person to do the way he wanted to do so that he will understand where the mistake and how to correct. It is learning for him. But the same thing can't be followed every time. Sometimes we have to reject certain issues. But we should be very clear in our mind why we are rejecting that and we should be able to tell the same thing very clear to the other person. I used to call the person whose proposal I have to reject and made him feel comfortable and then start discussing with him about the points which I thought there may be some problem. Then I will hear his explanation and try to tell him, where is a problem in that proposal. All the discussion will go one to one and in a very peaceful way and in a professional way. If that person got convinced about my argument and he takes my point he will accept. But if he has any other thoughts supporting his views he will come out. This is the best way one should adopt.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments