You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is Madam a word related to a woman's marital status?

As we all know Miss is used for an unmarried woman and Madam is used for a married woman but in movies where the hero calls heroine a Madam and even in some of the working sectors, an unmarried woman called a Madam. Is it correct? Can we call an unmarried woman a Madam? What is the difference between Miss and a Madam? Is Madam a word related to a woman's marital status? Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.
    What I feel that by referring as Madam we are actually giving the respect to the person and her personality and it also give the pride feeling for her. By referring madam it does not concern with martial status. When I went to shopping for MBBS books with my daughter, the sales person was referring as madam to her through out the explanation of books and shopping and that even baffled me. Here the sales person is giving the respect to the qualification through which my daughter is being recognized. Invariably I have seen even the intermediate level girls are referred as madam by the society when they participate in public programs or function. By the way the young girls feel overjoyed when they are addressed as miss and the married person would be happy if they are called as madam in place of addressing by Mrs so and so.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Modern English 'Madam' comes from Middle English 'Madame' (we can find such spelling in the works of people like Geoffrey Chaucer). Again, Middle English 'Madame' was directly borrowed from Middle French ' Ma Dame', which literally means ' My Lady'. Whenever you need to address a woman as 'My Lady', you can use Madam, irrespective of her marital status. However, since 'Lady' was an honorific reserved for women of high social status ( like the masculine 'Lord' or 'Sire', which later became 'Sir'), the word was usually meant for addressing highborn women. Nowadays, as feaudal hierarchies no longer exist and everyone is equal in a democracy, it is okay to address any grown-up woman, married or unmarried, as Madam. For younger women, who are usually unmarried because of their tender age, 'Miss' or 'Mademoiselle' (from French 'Ma Demoiselle' or 'My Young Lady') is preferred.

#696819 Your theory or analysis may be correct in one angle but it will not be true in all the scenarios hence it is not correct. However, I want to write something but the editorial team will not accept that I constrain myself.
    Probability a theory based on Assumptions and Negativity(Elimination). It is used in the evolution of atomic theory.--- Bhushan

English dictionaries describe this word as a polite way of addressing a women. Sometimes the young girls are also addressed using it in subtle ways. For example - 'I saw the little madam standing in the verandah'. In offices and workplaces it was generally used to address the women having some ranks or order in the workplace. For example - 'Madam was searching for you as where you had gone'. It is common to use madam for married women but the use of madam is not restricted to the married women only. Another interesting thing is if you do not know anything about a woman, her status or her whereabouts then the best thing to use to address her is madam.
    Knowledge is power.

Miss can be used to call any woman. There is no rule that we can't address a married woman like Ms A married woman can be called Mrs when you are adding her husband's name to her. You can call Kavitha W/O Krishna Murty as Ms Kavitha or Mrs Kavita Krishna Murty.

You can address any lady as Madam. There is no rule that only a married lady should be called Madam. When you want a day with respect you can call her as Madam. You can Kavitha as Ms Kavitha or Madam Kavitha even though she is unmarried.

If you want to show your respect to the lady you can call her Madam. If your boss is a lady you can call her Madam even though she is unmarried. Generally, lady teachers will be addressed as Madam.

drrao
    always confident

If a women is known to me especially in our relation or our ladies circle, I avoid calling her madam. It somehow looks formal or strange to use it for a known person. But when we visit a place and meet a lady for the first time we generally use the word madam.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Calling a lady by 'Madam' is just a practice word and have no meaning of married or unmarried. As the madam and mademoiselle are derived from French, we are using as borrowed words. In our side, we normally call other senior persons as 'uncle', which has no relationship.

I think we should think this concept joining with men's condition. We generally use word 'Mr.' for married males and usually we use the word 'sir' to give respect anyone. For example in official conversations we give respect to seniors that's why we don't use there Mr.,we use the word sir. The same case is with women. We use Mrs. for. married ladies,Miss for unmarried ladies and Madam to give respect anyone who belongs to female category.
    I think you can understand my statement easily. We should clear this type confusions on this platform.

• Sign In to post your comments