You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Interview for the post of a music teacher in a reputed school.

It was 9 am on a wednesday morning. The school had arranged the chairs in a circular form and many instruments were displayed in the middle on a few tables. Can you imagine the set up? Why have they set the chairs in circular form, will they play musical chair? It was all set and the principal walked from her office to watch the arrangements in the ground. She had a selected group of four teachers as she informed that today "we have an interview for the post of music teacher". The teachers then recalled the advertised date. The interview was at 10 am. All the applicants were asked to keep aside their certificates with the receptionist and join the group to be seated in chairs.

Each applicant was astonished to see such a set up. Every applicant were given one instrument to play for 2 minutes. There were five applicants, after the practical round each teacher gave their feedback to the principal and moved on. Mr. Sriram was one among the five selected applicants in the first round. All the applicants were redirected to office with their certificates. Suddenly a sound was heard "next". It was Mr. Sriram's turn now. May I come in mam, he entered -

Principal: Please be seated Mr. Sriram. I was happy to listen to your guitar and your skills in chord progressions. Would you be able to teach the electronic guitar? Are you aware that you would be teaching music to the students of grade 6 to grade 10.

Sriram: (started with a soft tone) I have experience in almost 10 different instruments amongst those I have explicit skills in instruments like violin, piano and electronic guitar as I was incharge of inter school music competition in my earlier school. I can give voice lessons too. I was working for almost five years in a high school. I am capable of handling the age group of 13 to 16 year students, well worsed with their physical and mental capabilities.

Principal: Let me know about yourself as music teacher? Where did you complete your degree in music honors?

Sriram: I am born and bought up in Gujarat. I completed my degree through Sadar Vallabh University from one of the reputed colleges in Gujarat. I was working in a college at Delhi for five years. Now, my family is shifted to Karnataka. I was in search of a job when I came across your advertisement for a music teacher. Hence my aspirations has led me to your institution.

Prinicipal: Are you qualified in SET exams?

Sriram: Yes, I have completed my exams and awaiting the result which will be announced within a fortnight. Given an opportunity I would work to the satisfaction of my students and the institution. Students will be ready for inter school competition within six to eight months of training under my supervision.

Prinicpal: I am impressed by your confidence level and you are qualified for the post. Congratulations, You are selected and can join from next Monday. Your time table will be mailed to you by Saturday. Hope it is fine with you.

Sriram: (with a smiling face)Thank you mam. I immensely thank you for providing an opportunity in your institution. I will join from Monday. (leaves the office)

This is my entry for the Academic Quadrathlon contest Event-3 campus interview
    Very nice. The result of the interview is immediately announced. Probably he is the only candidate. Hence immediately a decision has been taken. Otherwise, he may be the last candidate and the principal found this last candidate as the best candidate. A well-organized interview and I wish all the best to the author.
    drrao
    always confident

The atmosphere, setting for the practical test is very nicely portrayed in the opening. When we think of interview, it is normally a PI format for white collar jobs but yes, for teachers job, they do have to give some lecture on a topic and this set-up was good to display the knowledge and to know the depth of the job. Normally when you have such set-up for any interview, they actually try to have a vision on your gesture, attempt, confidence level and how you handle it. The interview and the answer provided by the interviewee was upto a satisfaction level and to his surprise had on the spot result.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.