You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Interview of a primary school Principal who ensured cent-percent attendance of students

I was waiting for the Principal outside his room when an elderly gentleman came out from the teacher's room and wished me. I introduced myself and told him that I had an appointment with the Principal. He guided me inside and told me to wait as the Principal had gone out to meet some parents. "Please wait, sir. He will be back any minute. Since you have the appointment, he won't keep you waiting', he told as he walked away.

In a few seconds, a short structured gentleman walked in smiling. I got up and wished him. Returning the greeting he said, 'I am sorry to have kept you waiting. Shall we start'? and took his seat.

Me: Sir, I consider it my personal honour to have been chosen by our editor to interview you. Congratulations to you sir for achieving this feat of getting every child of this village to attend classes daily. And what better it can be than to begin the interview by asking you how you managed to do it. Sir, it would be nice if you could include the situation when you joined here.

He: As you can see, this is a very small village and the people here are basically farmers. The total strength of this school as of now is 200 students. It was almost the same when I joined but the problem was that most of the students were not regular. I knew it was a difficult task to ensure daily attendance of all the students but I took it on as my responsibility, not to the school or to myself but to the society. I, with the support of other teachers and also our non-teaching staff, had to do a lot of homework and spadework before getting into the job. Making the parents understand the importance of their wards joining the school and attending the classes and convincing them was not easy. More difficult was to force the students who have been habituated to skipping classes to attend school without fail. The situation and circumstances were such that it could not be done in a day. I had to take steps to improve the infrastructure and facilities of the school first.

Me (interrupting): Sorry to interrupt you but I would also like to know how the authorities helped you?

He (smiling): To be frank, convincing the authorities was more difficult than convincing the parents and students. I had to contact so many people and had to go and meet them quite often. In the beginning, they were sort of amused at my enthusiasm and probably thought that I was trying to prove myself since this was my first posting as the Principal. It took a lot of time and efforts to make them understand that my aim was to ensure that the students who have enrolled in the school should not be refused the opportunity to learn. I met the DEO many times and forwarded letters to the higher authorities, including the State Minister for Education, through proper channel. I was lucky in that the local authorities and the MLA representing the constituency of which this village is a part grew up to be supportive after the initial hesitation. Once the infrastructure and facilities including filling up of teachers vacancies were put in place, I could manage to enhance the interest of the students as well as parents and the attendance rate gradually improved and today, as you all know, this is one of the few schools in such rural areas which has almost cent-per cent attendance daily.

Me: I agree with you, sir. Convincing our authorities is indeed a tough job. What is the attitude of the parents now? And how about the quality of students?

He: We cannot blame the parents. Most of them are illiterate. And since they are earning their daily bread through farming and other small chores they are not really bothered about the education part. They think that if they could live comfortably without education, their children can also very well do so without much education. Even those few who are aware of the benefits of educating their children think that it is beyond their capacity to send the kids for higher education and some even maintain that earning a job is not easy for people like them. So, our primary effort was to convey that their perceptions were wrong. We had to open the world to them to see.
    As far as the students are concerned, they never took school or studies seriously. For them, it was just a part of their routine. And I am sorry to say that teachers posted to schools like this are also to be blamed. Most of them consider their posting to rural areas to be punishments and do not show any interest in their profession. Lack of the sufficient number of teachers and those available making it a habit to skip classes do have negative effects on the students too. Only dedicated teachers and those who have a passion for this profession can actually tempt the students to attend classes regularly and to develop an interest in studies. My experience says that once the students start feeling that the teachers are serious and they are putting in efforts to teach them and that it is being done for their good, the students will naturally become dedicated. See, it is like a chain. Teachers and staff of the school, parents, students, the local authorities, senior citizens and all of us have a role to play. You have to ensure that it does not break in between.

After a few more questions I thanked him for sparing his valuable time and bid him a good day. Before saying goodbye he reminded me to put a photograph of the school along with the interview when it is published.

(Entry for Academic quadrathlon contest- Event 3)
    Well expressed interview by the author initializing on the present situations in government schools. The basic key is the infrastructure which is still lagging behind in a few schools and can come up with the continuous efforts of the principal and the teachers together. Students will be able to uphold their creative abilities with the support of teachers and parents. The disciplined principal can enforce quality education and build better citizens.
    Lead the leader

A different interview. The active personality who is responsible for the cent percent results of the school is interviewed. The difficulties he faced in achieving the results were well explained and the interviewer is able to get the answers in a very nice way.

This interview made me remember the interview I have faced in my house by a journalist in which he covered almost all my professional and personal achievements. The same interview was published in a daily newspaper in Telugu with a photograph of mine and my family.

A well-conducted interview and I wish all the best to the author.

drrao
    always confident

The post actually reminded me of two movie that I have seen and have such a story.
    The first one is a Malayalam movie "Manikyakkallu" of 2011, Starring Prithviraj Sukumaran, Samvrutha Sunil, Nedumudi Venu, Jagathi Sreekumar and directed by M. Mohanan. The story is how a young teacher tries to change the attitude and nature of the villagers and students and gain 100% result to the school 10th std. batch and prevent it from shutting down due to lack of strength.
    The second one is 2019 Tamil movie "Raatchasi" starring Jyothika in the lead role, written and directed by Syed Gowthamraj. The story is how a newly appointed headmistress transforms the poorly managed village school to compete with private school and become one of the best in the state with the help of teachers, parents, students and authorities.

The interview and the question framed by the interviewer was well framed and asked whereas the answer was both practical, logical and true. The post has the element to be in the winning list. All the best.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.