You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What are the differences in daily routine meals preaparation in different parts of India?

In south India a variety of dishes are usually prepared in every meal. For normal daily occasions in a meal cooked rice, Toordal made item, a curry made with different vegetables, a chutney also made with different vegetables or coconut, Sambar or Rasam, papad, curd etc. So it takes a lot of time to prepare all these items daily. I have little knowledge with regard to details of the meals prepared on routine daily basis in different other parts of India. So I wish to know members from different regions of India to give details about the meals prepared daily in a routine way only.
    Being a housewife, I have to manage this area and we have a typical North Indian cum western food pattern in our house. In breakfast we usually have bread/ cornflakes/ parotha/ fruits/ milk etc. In lunch we have Chapati, Rice/ Pulao, Dal, Vegetable, salad, and pickles. Sometime we would add Raita/ Curd also in lunch. In evening, we would have tea and some readymade snacks or sometimes home made bhajia etc. Then during dinner we would have Chapati/ Parotha, dry vegetable, vegetable curry etc. Sometimes in place of curry we would go for dal also. This is the usual pattern but once a fortnight or so we would plan for idli/dosha or chinese noodles or pasta or chokha-bati also.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Any type of cuisine has variety. Those who are familiar wit different cuisine and recipes wil try different items.
    In our home we try both the North and South Indian items.
    It all depends on the avaialbility of time and materials.
    Gujarati items ned a lot of time and prparation, but in the end they are very much relished. Comparatively most items in common South Indian meu are relatively easy and needing only few ingredients.
    So it will be Idii, Dosa(different varity too) , Pongal, Puttu, Seva etc for breakfast/dinner . Sometimes breakfast will be just corn flakes and milk. Upma also comes in emergency.

Lunch will be Roti(Chapathi) with suitable dish, rice meals with Sambar, Rasam, semi dry side dish, Poriyal, curd, fried papad, pickles etc. We also cook poori, pepare Medu Vada,sweets etc too. The course may contain more or less items as per time and material availability. A few days we skipped breakfast or lunch also as one of the time food was taken at a wrong time. Jack fruit ,mangoes and Tapioca recipes showed their presence on many days.

So it is all subject to conditions.

My meal:
    Breakfast - Idly/dosa/Pongal/Upma/puri/Appam/Idiyappam (With chutney and sambhar or kalamkari) with 2 boiled eggs/Omelet. Bread-jam-butter and cornflakes with milk.
    Lunch: Rice with Dal, one Vegetable fry/Chicken curry and fried chicken/Fish curry and fried fish/Egg curry - Papad and pickle. (I don't like Chapati during lunch)
    Dinner: Chapathi/Rice /Kanji with Dal and vegetable fry.

Note: Menu - As per the availability of items.

No life without Sun

My Breakfast daily with one of these If Upma (vermicelli upma or Godum (wheat) Rava Upma or some times Bombay Rava Upma)
    If Dosa: Ordinary dosa, onion dosa
    If Pesaratuu: Ordinary or Pesaratuu Onion with ginger and green Mirchi
    If Idly: with chutney flavors, most of the times (Tomato stored pickle/Temporary stored Tomato pickle) a few times with coconut mixed groundnut chutney
    If Uthappa and with chutney
    My wife will smoothen the top of the pan by pouring an oil rub with a raw banana top or with a Bottle guard top(while making dosas).

Lunch: Rice with curry and a pickle, curd, and Pappu (with different flavors like Tomato Pappu, Mango Pappu) and sometimes Sambar or Rasam

Dinner: Same above the lunch items as curry will get replaced with the fried item of the raw banana or Potatoes(in many of times)

Chapati / Poori are very few times we used to eat at breakfast or dinner. All our Food eating habit are in South Indian(s) styles

Veg. Biryani occasionally we eat at lunch.

Probability a theory based on Assumptions and Negativity(Elimination). It is used in the evolution of atomic theory.--- Bhushan

I belong to a remote place in the state of Uttarakhand and now after settling in Mumbai my ways of food habits have changed drastically but in my home town the pattern is still the old one except in some families which have gone there to work from outside states. I would like to narrate that pattern which is a dominant one still in that part of country. The day starts with tea sometimes in form of bed tea also. Then, after an hour when people have freshened up another round of tea would be in offing. Being a cold country schools would generally start at 10 AM and by that time the morning food would be ready. It is something like a substitute of Breakfast plus lunch. Items would be the standard rice, dal, sabji, chapati/ parotha and some little salad. So people would eat a bit of it and take a part of it to their offices or schools for lunch time. Housewives would take their meals only after everyone left. In the afternoon and the evening when family members come back then there would be some snacks of general nature like semolina haluva, upma, poha or some readymade snacks from market like samosa, pakoda etc. Then in the night the main meals would be there consisting of chapati, one dry vegetable and one curry vegetable. In many houses the local vegetables are preferred.
    Knowledge is power.

What I feel that preparing North Indian items or the food elsewhere prepared across the country except South India. While the author detailed the routine south Indian dishes prepared as meals daily, for the others in the country they prepare either Roti, Phulka, Chapathi or Bhature along with Channa dal or the dal fry. While the preparation of the Roti and Phulka and other varieties also not that easy, and the house holds want to serve them hot, they invariably start preparing the items half an hour before the lunch or the dinner. And when South Indians prefer complete the meal with the curd rice, I have seen North Indians prefer to end the meal with Lassi and that is good for health too. When I had been to Varanasi, I had this practice in place and having the strong curd after the meal is something more satisfying too.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Over a period of time, our food habits changed a lot. During my early days in our house, everybody used to take a big full glass of coffee early morning. And the second time after one or two hours. No breakfast those days.Lunch around 11 AM as our father used to come from his office at 11 AM. The meal was a traditional south Indian meal. Some snack around 4 PM and again meals as dinner at 7 PM. traditional south Indian meal.
    Over a period of time, there is a change in the pattern. Young generation not got habituated to coffee. They go for Breakfast and mainly south Indian but once in a while some different item. Elder people started taking breakfast and their lunch was getting delay and around 1 PM is the lunch. Children like north Indian dishes. So ladies have to make different items for young and old members. In the nights stopped eating rice. Chapati and curry or some other tiffins only in the night and that will be delayed and only after 8 PM only.

drrao
    always confident

Not only the items but eating style also differs well. When we seven tamil people went to Hyderabad we stayed in a resort near Moinabad,outskirt. For dinner we arranged through a known person from Secunderabad. He also did the items well. But the quantity he supplied as of those people eat that is less side dishes. Our ladies served gents first but gent emptied all side dishes and ladies adjusted remainings. As there was no side dish we discarded plain roties to cattle. Next day we told the dinner supplier about this, he replied that people of that area used side dish small quantity but south people soak the roties in side dish and next day he supplied more quantity of side dish.

When we travel widely, we can taste different dishes of that area and as I am interested in cooking, I learnt to cook also from them. I differently noted in a Karnataka hotel fry of thondakkai which I have never tasted. Similarly in Orissa, I have tasted the fry of potels which is similar to thondakkai in different manner. In south India, we can see the small small brinjals prepared by fry with powder prepared by fried and grinded mixture of dhania,chilli, gram dhaal. In Bangalore once I have tasted full capsicum fried by soaking in gram flour after filling potato curry inside.

• Sign In to post your comments