You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Good at English and Poor in English

Here in ISC, we had enough discussion on ' Good at English/Good in English'. It was discussed at length. All agreed that 'Good at English' is correct. So, 'Good in English' is utterly bad English.

What about the poor or weak English. Should we say 'He is poor in English or poor at English?
    Which is correct and why?

1. He is good at English (or) He is good in English
    2. He is poor at English (or) He is poor in English
    3. He is weak at English (or) He is weak in English
    4. He is good at Science (or) He is good in Science
    5. He is good at Maths (or) He is good in Maths
    6. He is poor at maths (or) He is poor in maths

Confusion...confusion..confusion. Why 'at' for good and 'in' for poor/weak. English experts, please clarify.
    I am poor at English is the correct expression. This is what I understand from the literature. But Grammarly says ' in' is to be used in place of 'at', Many say using In is also correct. But the majority of people use at only.
    We think in our native language and then translate from that language into the English language. The influence of our local native language will be high on our English language. But I feel it is better to say that my English is poor or my English is weak. Then there will not be any controversy.
    Your knowledge of English is weak but not you. So instead of telling, I am weak at English or I am poor in English, You can say that my English is poor.

drrao
    always confident

My previous thread was corrected by an editor suitably with appropriate words. In that thread, the phrase 'good at English' has been edited and corrected as 'good in English'. Now I corrected it as 'Good at English'. There is no footnote from the editor that my thread was edited.

I would appreciate if the same editor comes up and explains the right use of AT and IN with English.

No life without Sun

ISC being an educational institution, I feel pity to see no expert editors or members coming forward to solve my query about Good at English/Good in English.

The editor who edited my post as "Good in English" should have been present here to respond. I also invite our ME Madam to sort out this issue.

No life without Sun

As far as my views are concerned he is good at English is the right way of expression and writing and he is good in English does not seems to sync in with the sentence.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I am highly disappointed to see no response from the concerned editor who edited my response or the Managing Editor who is the authority to teach good English at ISC. May I know why they are silent despite their active presence at ISC since the time (24th May) I raised this thread.

Since ISC is an Educational portal, it should solve the queries of the Members. The concerned editor should have the decency and courtesy to come forward and respond with a positive note or a sorry for the mistake.

No life without Sun

I have never claimed to be an "authority to teach good English at ISC" and do not wish to be labelled so. It would be good not to direct such requests to me as I will respond in a thread if I want to, isn't it? Also, I will especially not do so if I am too unsure, rather than giving some uncertain, vague, or inane reply.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Vandana,
    Since ISC is an Educational portal where we claim to learn good English, I feel that ISC ME should be an authority to check and correct the members' English. I remember, long back, we had a discussion on 'at English or in English' and agreed and concluded as 'Good at English' is the right one.

If the editors are capable of editing someone's English, they should be ready to justify their correction. That was not done by the concerned editor in question.

Let it be. Keep aside the things. Let us know what is correct English - Good at English or Good in English.

No life without Sun

Sun, you said in your response above that the point about 'good at English' and 'good in English' was discussed earlier and it was agreed and concluded that 'good at English' is the correct usage. If that be the case, why (why) did you raise this thread? Should your repeated reference to the editors in this thread be taken as an indication?

Please note that English is a very flexible language and there are so many areas where a definite explanation cannot be provided. Most of the words and usages in English depends on the context it is used and so to make an affirmative statement that good at English or good in English is the correct usage without reference to a context would not be prudent. But that does not, again, mean that one can speak or write in whatever way he wants to.

“It is better to change an opinion than to persist in the wrong one." – Socrates

Saji,
    As an editor, he (maybe You) have corrected the correct English ''Good at English' as' Good in English'. Let it be at or in, but the editor should come forward to respond when a member raises a question about the correctness of the words used. It is the moral responsibility of the editor concerned to say what he feels about the word used.

I felt awkward when my good language was corrected by an editor who is expected to be sure of his correction. If the editor is confused and not sure, he should not have attempted to correct the English of a member.

No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.