You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Keep one percent of your earning to help the unknown and strangers

Members,
    Just try to save one percent of your income to help others. Rather than being selfish, we should be generous to help others, especially the needy poor unknown or strangers.

Supposing, your total annual income is Rupees 5 lakhs, save Rs. 5000/- for this purpose. You will be pleased and satisfied. Please accumulate this if you have no opportunity to spend it. Let it grow. Keep it safe and spend it as and when someone requests you for help.

Never say 'No' to a person seeking you for help. Donate generously to the genuine fundraisers. It will be helpful during the crisis that we are facing now. It will be great money that will make you feel happy.

While you move outside, keep some coins ( Rupees one, two and five) with you. Offer one or two rupees to a beggar who comes to you. You both will be pleased and blessed.
    Good message. I fel that most of us woud be doing so in one way or other. Many will be doing for amouts more than one percent also.
    The idea is a feasible one for whatever be one's earnings. All our ancient scriptures extoll charity. Dharma is always associated with Dharma and a person's virtue and duty is to do Daana Dharma.
    We owe a lot to others. Ther are many whom we do not now but would have heped us in some way. Hence we also have to help others who are in need. Charity satisfies that inner guilt of not repaying our indebtment to the faceless unknown pople or even to nature.

Humanity stands on generosity. It is already in our culture that we give alms to the needy. Spending money in buying costlier fantacies does not give much satisfaction than giving the same to the one who can make their living and in return we do not expect anything from them, they just satisfy us by speaking a few words of blessings. This blessing comes in disguise when we are in trouble from another stranger. This is the give and take policy in the humanity world.
    Lead the leader

The cause and the thought process of the author is good but when the life becomes challenging and the earning is not even met fully for the dire needs of the family, thinking of keeping aside one percent to others may be difficult. And the shashtra says that when you are content and fully happy only need to donate to others and not at the cost of keeping the family in poverty and helping out others. Though this kind of rules are present in the Muslims as they use the part of earnings as the Zakat during their Ramzan festivity, Unfortunately in India many people are living with hand to mouth existence that means they are not able to save even one rupee for their own future and how can they think of others to help. But those who have the income and has the excess amount than required , they must set aside one percent to help others.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is a benevolent thought presented by the author. It is very correct that it is our duty to appropriate a part of our earnings for good causes and only thing is we have to contribute for genuine good causes only as there are many fraudulent practices being done by people to siphon off money from the simple and gullible donors. In some of the close knit communities there are instructions from their religious or political leaders to contribute at least 10% of their income to the community fund which would be utilised for the benefit of poor and destitute. As that is a common centralised fund the leaders would be using that as per their prudence. It is said that such centralised funds are also popular in some communities and help in providing relief or medical help to the needy.
    Knowledge is power.

Good advise and everyone should follow. Help others as much as possible. You may not be able to donate very high amounts but do whatever is possible. As mentioned by the author everyone should decide what help they can do and keep that amount separately and when someone asks for help you can help that guy.
    In almost all the temples free meals programme is being organised. If we give some donation to those schemes the amount will be utilised in a better way. There are some NGOs who will be helping the needy. We can donate money to such organisations also as a help to them,
    By donating food to the person who is hungry, you are seeing that one person is out of his hungriness. He will bless the donor and those blessings will help the person who donated the meals. That way by giving a donation to a person who is needed, you are getting the blessings of that person as well as God.

drrao
    always confident

I really appreciate your thought of helping a needy with own savings. In present situation this has become even more important, but few questions do come to mind when you think of helping needy people. First is are they really needy and the other that the help should be monetary or in kind?

Presently, due to lock down and economic activity slump many people have become jobless and many left without food. The local authorities are doing their bit and one NGO also coordinated and brought together all nearby societies to help the hungry by contributing 4 chapati from the afternoon meal cooked at home.
    I, as well as around 100 families from our society contribute 4 chapati each from their home and all of it is collected before 4 pm and then distributed to needy people in local vicinity. The local authority is making around 25,000 to 30,000 chapatis daily and around 50 societies contribute another 25,000 chapatis. In total, daily approx 50,000 chapatis with other food item is distributed.

Although this is a need basis help but if this becomes a habit to each of us, as the author suggested then for sure we will be able to help many needy people in their testing times.

Now coming to monetary terms of helping, there is always a big risk factor involved. Until and unless we help someone directly whom we have verified to be needy, there is always a chance of misuse of the fund we will be giving to an unknown person.
    In this testing time of COVID 19, many people have defrauded so many innocent people who contributed for sake of helping others by creating fake UPI and other means and even yesterday I came to know of something which really pained me. I will let you know the case but will with hold the name of institutions involved.
    It is something which my ex colleague working in that organization shared with me on promise of confidentiality.

This open fraud is still going on wherein a national level news channel and local office of an international NGO is involved.
    The channel is openly collecting money from common people who wish to donate to fight Covid19. The channel has entered in contract with the NGO to donate the money collected with by with holding 50% of the sum collected as its commission. So as of now it has collected around Rs. 3.5 crores and will be donating 50% of it to the NGO and the NGO will in turn provide it a receipt of the complete amount.
    Now the NGO will also book its expenses and indirect expenses and fees and spend around 40% to 50% of the sum received and the complete money will vanish.

I know how it is done but will not go into details. It really pains me when people out of compassion and good faith donate money and the organized criminals loot the money and whitewash everything.

I would agree with author on helping needy out of your own savings no matter how small but ensure the credibility of the person to whom you are going to offer help whether monetary or in kind.

Live before you leave.

The idea of the author to donate 1 % of earnings to the weaker sections is definitely a noble idea, but due to various factors associated with the senior citizens having low incomes after retirement, they are not in a position to oblige for the weaker sections.
    We can undertake other noble deeds such as distributions of old clothes to the needy, donating the old texts books to such students whose parents cannot afford such expenses. Donating some time for the up gradation of knowledge of the unprivileged children after formation of a group for their teachings in the different subjects would be certainly helpful if undertaken twice in a week for a fixed time slot. Hence helps are of varied forms, we should have the will to spare our timings and the form of helps for the needy.

Manoj,
    I appreciate your long response. We should always help directly and avoid middleman or fundraising organizations. When in doubt, we can simply pay some negligible sum without saying 'No' and disappoint them. It is always better to help them in kind than monetarily. If a person needs food, don't give him cash, buy food and give him. If you want to help a student, give what he needs, not money. But never help a person who needs money to settle his loan.

No life without Sun

Sheo Sir,
    Even if the income is very low after retirement, keeping 1 percent aside won't be a problem. If a person earns Rs. 100/- a day, he can also be satisfied by offering Rs. 1/- to a starving beggar on the road. Many such single rupee alms to the beggar will help them to have some food.

No life without Sun

Eleemosynary is taught in every religion but very few practiced it. It is also written in the bible, Gospel according to St. Mathew, Chapter 6, verses 2:5, "So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

As mentioned by members in their comment that we need to try to help people directly when dealing with cash as otherwise, it never reaches the needy but vanishes as described by Manoj Chaurasia in his response. There are times that we feel to help but when we think of the fraud or scams that take place, we hesitate. We all can try to help in our locality so that it reaches the correct people in terms of cash, commodities and even with other help like helping to shift, giving shelter during flood, etc.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

Some ladies in our area made volunteer group and provided food and tea etc to the stranded labourers and some other people who were trapped in the town after losing their jobs. We have joined them and contributed our bit for that good cause.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I appreciate the author for opening this thread. Undoubtedly, Charity is the great virtue of human being but - Can you ever imagine of it being a criminal act ?

I am dejected to watch two news. Now I'm questioning to myself- Can charity ever be a crime ?

* FIR has been lodged against 112 people for distributing the packets of food among hungry passengers (labourers) when the train was stopped at Baroni crossing.

* A train which left Surat (Gujarat) on 16th May reached Bihar on 25th May i.e. after 9 days. 7 passengers died of hunger.

(According to 'National Dastak', a YouTube channel)

I'd like to quote this poem of William Shakespeare for concerned authorities.

The quality of mercy is not strained;
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest;
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
    'T is mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
    The throned monarch better than his crown:
    His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
    The attribute to awe and majesty,
    Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
    But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
    It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings,
    It is an attribute to God himself;
    And earthly power doth then show likest God's
    When mercy seasons justice.

(The Merchant of Venice, Act IV, Scene I [The quality of mercy is not strained] William Shakespear e-)

• Sign In to post your comments