You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Balbir, the great hockey player, is no more.

It was August 12th, 1948. Still, 3days to celebrate the first anniversary of Independent India. The Olympic games were going on. The hockey finals were played on that day in London between India and Britain. Indian team played well and won the gold medal and that way they made India proud by defeating the country which made India suffer under them for long.
    The Hero of the match was Balbir Singh, Senior. He is the greatest hockey player belonging to the first generation players of Independent India. Under him, India won gold medals hattrick in Olympics and he is the greatest star of Hockey India ever produced.

Yesterday he died in a hospital where he is undergoing treatment. He is 96 years old. My condolences to the family of the deceased. and I pay my respects to the departed soul.
    Deeply moved to know that Balbir the pre-Independence greatest hockey player is no more who brought laurels to the country by winning gold medals for the country in that era. First of all surviving at the age of 96 is itself a great achievement and shows his health fitness given at that age and secondly he brought medals for our country by winning the hockey against the Britishers under whom the country was made slave for 200 years. Our country is indebted to such a great player who has elevated the country prestige to the International arena at the time when the prestige of the country was at stake.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

There was a time when the hockey team of India was renowned in the world and there were many players who excelled in this game. Balbir Singh was one of them. I also pray almighty for the peace of departed soul.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.