The first thing that comes to mind when we have to wit is our mobile phone. As mentioned by members, earlier, we had fewer options like newspapers, books, or magazines to kill time and few who were interested in talking to strangers would be able to manage without any hesitation. As we have internet and latest smartphones, we can use it to surf, play games, view movies or videos, listen to music and speeches, use the app to learn new things, or even fill required online forms. I found similarities with the things that Venkiteswaranji does when he has to wait in the list above in the post.
As per the list where we wait-
1. The airport lounge waiting for your flight - Normally check the delay timing, have a cup of coffee, move around the lounge or duty-free shops and even view the flight landing, take-off, and passengers around.
2. The OPD of a hospital waiting for the Dr. to arrive - If its a normal visit, I check the magazine available, keep an eye on the screen and track the number of patients, doctors available, their timing, facilities available, etc.
3. The waiting room of a clinic, awaiting your turn to meet the Dr. - Will be constantly looking at the screen or the attender an other people around.
4. The railway station platform waiting for your train to come - Will buy a coffee, a magazine or newspaper, check the notice board, resertvation chart, train timing, people around, their action, attaire, luggage, walking or sitting style, etc.
5. Any queue, such as at a counter in the post office or a bank - Will check on the staffs, bmanager, working timings, Forms and schemes available, count the people before me, listen to music, etc.
“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz