You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Should there be a Comma before But?

This is just to know better English.
    Whenever I type a sentence with but after a comma, Grammarly checks it with no comma before the word but.
    For e.g. I type - "I wanted to go out during the lockdown, but my wife did not allow me to go out."
    Grammarly corrects it as - "I wanted to go out during the lockdown but my wife did not allow me to go out."

English experts, please throw some light on this subject 'Comma before but/no comma before but'
    The comma is required. Refer Use of punctuation.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Thanks a lot, Madam. In certain places, Grammarly is wrong in checking and correcting our English. This is one good example to prove it. Not to go by Grammarly 100%. We need to apply our own sense and write good English.
    I was worried about the use of comma with but, but but with a comma is said to be right, and Vandana has cleared by doubt.

Note; Here, a new invention of using conjunction but consecutively thrice. The word but has been used consecutively thrice. Am I right or wrong?

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments