You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread is the winner of the Thread of the Week contest for the week 07th to 13th June '20.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

"I don't know" is a doorway to possibilities.

A simple sentence "I don't know" used so loosely, has such an important meaning, when observed closely. For me, when I say "I don't know", it means, I have no knowledge of something and this realization opens a doorway to learning new things, its a gateway to a new opportunity, a new opinion, a new dimension, a new possibility, a new skill. Its a never ending doorway.

Although, this will depend upon individual to individual, as saying "I don't know" and actually meaning it is totally different. An individual can use this for his benefit and that can be either positive or negative.

An individual can use this sentence to deny helping other, for example in office a colleague may not help other colleague by saying "I don't know" how this is done. Alternatively, an honest person actually means to say that he does not know something, then, he will strive to learn something new when the opportunity strikes.

A conscious person who does not know something, will use the opportunity of learning something new, but, an unconscious person will think of short term benefit and may deny helping other and self by deliberately saying "I don't know" something.

What do members make out of this sentence "I don't know" and have they ever faced a situation where the negative thing proved to be a new learning opportunity.
    A good thought by the author. True. We can easily say, I don't know. But if we are really serious to convert the above sentence as I know we have to spend some time. But when we don't have that interest to learn the new aspects we will never take that sentence seriously. We will just say it and forget it.
    Sometimes I have seen some people who are not interested in helping the other person will simply say I don't know, even though he knows the issue well.
    I have faced a situation when I have to say I don't know to my son when he asked some doubt about his homework when he was in high school. Then instead of telling him, I don't know, I have opened the book and read the subject and I understood the subject and then I have clarified the doubt of my son. Like this, I learned new subject 3 or 4 times to teach my son.

drrao
    always confident

@ Dr. N.V. Srinivasa Rao
    So good to hear your experience. When you said "I don't know" meant you worked upon it and transformed it to learning a new subject for your son.

So you would agree that "I don't know" is a doorway to possibilities.

Live before you leave.

" I don't know " is a sentence we often use in our lives. I have been the corporate world and here people frequently use it.

In corporate world most of the people don't like to shere their knowledge with others. They think their worth will reduce if they will tell others so they usually say I don't know. I don't think that the person who says it is keen to learn it because he/she already knows it whereas the person who is stuck definitely has a scope to learn new thing provided he is curious to lean it by some other means or by some other person.

Sanjeev

" The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

I don't know can be a genuine statement seeking knowledge on something. In that sense it can open a possibility. But if the other person does not want to give you the knowledge then it is not an immediate possibility. Possibility for getting knowledge can open only if the person makes an earnest effort to learn it from other sources also.
    Some say "I don't know ' to shirk responsibility and task. So it is not a possibility, but a shutting down of possibility.
    I have got opportunity to know when it is actually I don't know. It happens when we sincerely admit our lack of knowledge and express desire to learn it

Situations decide on the words, as to when and where to it has to be used in a positive way.
    I don't know " what"? This depends on the situations. Sometimes we will not be able to learn everything linked with our physical and mental abilities.
    If I am asked to type a content using computer, I can do it but if you ask me to check the software or hardware of the computer, I can't.
    As you have suggested there are many people who don't want to help their colleagues at office. For few things we need to speak the truth itself.

Lead the leader

@Sanjeev, true. Corporate world is so competitive that we rarely find a helping hand who would sincerely help us. But again, if we are receptive, then learning whatever needed is not an issue. It may sometimes take time but it never goes waste.
    Live before you leave.

@Venkiteswaran, indeed the sentence is a two way road, it depends upon individual which way he/she walks.
    Thanks for sharing your understanding.

Live before you leave.

Many people would never say 'I don't know'. They would put it in a different way as if they were knowing it but right now they are not able to recollect it. Actually it is a human tendency not to show that they do not know something. So, if a person exclaims that he does not know about something it shows that he is an honest guy and has shown his level of knowledge in front of everyone. It is good gesture as it relieves the other person to guess whether that person really knows or just telling that earlier he was knowing it but now forgotten. Another aspect that the author has brought up is regarding acceptance of not knowing and then converting it to knowing. That is a hard path and if someone can pursue that, it is commendable. Personally feeling we must try to learn something which we do not know today.
    Knowledge is power.

"I don't know" is a simple sentence but can work wonders at times. The formation of the sentence will depend on the person, situation and people around him. Many times, we may not be aware of the things that are asked or told to do, at this point, "I don't know" may be a saver as it will help our senior to allocate to the known person. If we are interested, we can make an effort to learn it later but for the time being, the work needs to be completed on time and a straight reply may help us. Sometimes, we are in a fix and we do not know how to solve it but have to complete it before the deadline. We will make an effort to ask others and even google it and learn about it. In this case, it is a doorway to possibilities and knowing new things. This may help us now or later but is worth knowing or learning. When in the workplace(corporate or small), some have the habit of loading work on others but a simple "I don't know" may help you to be left out of that work. Managers or bosses or supervisors have the habit of putting loads on a worker who completes their work on time or never complains even if it is not his work or profile. When others are free, this guy will be working hard to complete the load. At this point or situation, it is always better to utter "I don't know" and be focussed on your profile or job description.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

• Sign In to post your comments