You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How much important is religious and historical knowledge?

What is the importance of religious and historical knowledge today? Is today's and upcoming generation going to be devoid of the learning of values, culture, etc that previous generations acquired through the epics, Holy books, historical texts and the like?

The children of the 90's generation were typically taught and showered with the knowledge of our old religious books like Bhagwada Geeta, Ramayana etc and other historical events like those of Maharana Pratap, Revolution of 1857, and other such historical events by their grandparents and parents. The knowledge of these not only showered some important aspects of our traditions and history but also inculcated in the children the feelings of love, truth, forgiveness by the various stories which defined our great ancestral rulers.

Talking about the generation of 2000s we are having nuclear families and usually the grandparents aren't residing with the kids. And the parents are also working. In such conditions the children aren't taught about the different colorful traditions, culture and stories of valour and gallantry of ancestors. Result is that the kids of this generation aren't aware about our customs and about our holy and religious books which would certainly make the upcoming futuristic generations of the next years of 21s and 22s completely unaware about all these. They won't even know about such historical and religious importance of our culture which isn't good for us.
    What do you think should be done in order to preserve this and how much important for us is this knowledge? Kindly share your thoughts.
    Actually every Indian must take pleasure and pride to accept the fact that our country is rich in history and religious tradition which everyone need to know The culture of South religion is different from the North. For example the huge and gingantic temple towers of the South could not be found in North and needs to probe the same. Likewise every big temple in the South has one big tree attached to it and we should know the significance of the same and that is called vatavriksh of the temple tradition and culture. Likewise the festivities, brahmotsavams being celebrated as the annual rituals in big temples of South could not find place in the North though same deity is followed there, Therefore the present day students has to learn the comparison by visiting the places and knowing the importance of each temple, their prominence and reference in the history.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

K. Mohan sir,

I agree with the fact that the cultures and temples of southern, northern, eastern and western India are totally different from each other but in the middle of the heart all are an intense and integral part of our country's culture.
    I would appreciate if you tell us something more about southern temples.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

True. We Indians had a very good culture and history. We came to know these issues from our elders when we are Kids and we try to behave ourselves with that framework. But slowly the western culture started taking an upper hand, the young people started getting inclined towards that. If we advise such people, they will say we are orthodox and illogical. That is the most hurting part of this. Added to this, the history books never write the facts and they manage history and write more about other cultures and ways only.
    As mentioned by the author the main reason behind this is the nuclear families. Both the parents will go out for earnings and leaving the children to some children care home or a servant maid in the house. This is making all the difference. We should give more importance to bringing up the child. You need not give them a lot of wealth. But teach them the importance of Indian culture and history and see that they will also fit in the framework and behave within that framework. Otherwise, we may have to see nature's fury in many ways and a good example of this is COVID19.

drrao
    always confident

In many companies there is a program by the HR/Personnel department to the new entrants called 'induction process' through which the new entrant made aware about the company, he is introduced to the section in charge and the major rules, regulations and practices of the company. On the first day itself he well versed with the dos and donots of the company.
    Similarly the new daughter in law is told by the mother in law or sister in law about the family practices normally which is different from her's own.
    Similar to this our country has many ethics and cultures and they are based on religious and historical. We should at least to certain fraction aware about them. Many people do not know their own city famous by telling that they have no time to spare for such things.
    Though we do not go to all such places we should know something about them.
    Once Prince Williams asked by news persons when he would visit India. For this, Prince replied that ,"I should first know about my country and then visit others. If I go anywhere without knowing about my country fully it is shame to me and my country.

A very good and important thread by Ms. Monika Kushwaha. It is very important to impart religious and historical knowledge to the children. A society is known by his culture. So, to protect tour culture, it is very important that the our children also have knowledge of the religious books and history.

In our society ( Dawoodi Bohra), the children are taught about our religious books and history so that they can become a good citizen. The ultimate aim of every religion is to prepare a good citizen and a Nobel person. The wrong things are avoided and good things are encouraged in every religion.

We can also provide religious knowledge to our children at the time of different festivals. We can explain the importance of festival and the reason to celebrate these festivals.

Honesty is the best policy.

Yes, one must have the knowledge of history and culture of the country but the most important thing is the implementation of that knowledge. When the parents are well aware of the history and culture of our country what is holding them back to impart those things in their children? For example, in our custom people greeted each other with a 'Namaste' i.e. by joining both the palms together. Long ago people used to follow this but now we are used to shaking hands while greeting people. We learned it from our parents only. The present pandemic has compulsorily made us follow the old custom of 'Namaste'. The children of those parents who taught their children the significance of that form of greeting and also practised that form themselves are following it without looking for an alternative. History, culture, tradition etc all can be preserved by practice and this practice should start from one's home. If that is not there a time will come when we all will forget those things.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Our grand parents would visit piligrims and other tourist places like deserts of Rajasthan,Prayag of Allahabad,
    palaces at Jaipur.
    After they come back home after one or two years, they would tell the grand children the stories of those places which they visited but nowadays the grandparents are away and none to explain the historic events or the culture. Parents are busy in their work schedules earning for their livelihoods, being children left with receiving phone calls over mobile and watching television.

Lead the leader

The present generation derives its knowledge from Internet. In theory the present generation should have more knowledge than their parent generations. But Internet is like walking on a thin rope. Internet shows you what you want to see. Even if today's generation tried to get knowledge, they will be faced with variety of bombarding stories and theories.
    It all boils down to interest hence. Even in olden times not everyone could grasp the "knowledge". My paternal side doesn't know their religious and familial heritage all that much. I'm talking atleast 3 generations. My maternal side does have a sense of religious and familial heritage. One must be curious to obtain knowledge.
    Thanks to DD national, many of those folklores and epics are coming in contact with millennial kids who never knew about them. Most of my friends don't know the characters of Mahabharata or Ramayana. I am very interested in religion and history. So I like to delve into those things. Partly due to the influence of maternal side. You are right. Heritage and curiousity, both should come hand in hand to learn one's history and religion.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

If we lose touch with our religion and history then we lose our cultural heritage. It has happened in some western societies and the new generation is totally direction less there in this matter. Parents have a great responsibility in this matter and the children acquire what the parents inculcate in them. If parents themselves are neglecting and ignoring our religious and cultural ties then I am afraid the new generation would become uncontrolled and indisciplined because religion and culture are two things which keep us in some discipline as we are always afraid of the society in which we live and if we do not follow the social norms which are offshoots of religious and cultural principles only, then we would suffer.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

No race, tribe, community, group or country can prosper and progress if they forget their history and religion. How can a person detach from his heritage and background? It would be like removing the roots of a tree. If someone asks us who we are then what is the answer if we do not keep our culture intact. A person is known by his culture and religion. We must have this knowledge disseminated to our children in schools and colleges as who they are and which culture they belong to. We all belong to great Indian culture which united the Indian peninsula under so many great warriors and kings in the history.
    Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments