You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Test your English - Easy yet tricky

English has become an important aspect of our lives these days. Everybody tries to speak and write in English. From introduction to an interview, everywhere English is used. Although people speak and write English yet many are unaware of the grammar and minute details one should know before use.
    I am simply asking a few questions related to English Grammar. Let's check how varied and absolute answers we get.

1) A plural Abstract noun.
    2) A noun with no plural form.
    3) A noun that can be used as a verb. Write sentence telling their usage.
    4) Verb + ing form that can be used as Subject in a sentence.
    5) Statistics ________(is/am/are) not the same as earlier.

Awaiting the answers.
    1) Love
    2) Furniture
    3) Fire (n) Do not fire(v) at your enemy.
    4)Sleep (v) - Sleep+ing = Sleeping . Sleeping is a good exercise to remain in peace.
    5) Statistics are not the same as earlier.

I am not good at English. I am weak in English. However, I tried my best to answer your questions. I hope I will pass.

No life without Sun

My answers are as follows.
    1.A plural Abstract noun: Data.
    2. A noun with no plural form. : Sheep
    3. A noun that can be used as a verb. Write a sentence telling their usage: Pen is a noun. It can be used as a verb also. Let us pen this article. Another example is Book. Book is a noun. But sometimes it can ve used as a verb also. Please book a movie ticket for me tonight.
    4. Verb + ing form that can be used as Subject in a sentence.: Walk is a verb. If we add ing, we can use it as a noun.
    Walking for an hour in the morning is good for our health.
    5.) Statistics ________(is/am/are) not the same as earlier. : Statistics is a word which can be used as a singular and plural word depending on the context. Statistics is singular when it talks about theory and related methodologies. Statistics is plural when it talks about the compilation of quantitative data. So you can use either is or are based on the context.

drrao
    always confident

Trying is the best thing we can ever do.
    I am happy you have given the answers and most of them are correct.

#699809 Sun,

Love is undoubtedly an abstract noun but it doesn't have any plural form. If you apply 's' with it, it will become a verb. Furniture has both singular and plural however both forms are same. You haven't provided the sentence of fire as a noun. Leaving these other answers are correct.

#699815 Dr. Srinivasa,
    Sheep is a noun having both singular and plural same. Yet it has both forms. Statistics in this case has been used in which context hasn't been mentioned by you so your answer is still pending.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

News is a noun which is not having a separate plural form.
    Statistics are not the same as earlier. is the correct answer for this particular context.

drrao
    always confident

Srinivasa sir,
    Your answers are all absolutely correct.

Let me now discuss all the answers
    1) Jokes, Stories are plural abstract nouns.
    2) News has no plural form.
    3) Shoulder, present, surprise.
    There are many words which can be used as nouns as well as verbs
    Like, We should shoulder(Verb) the responsibilities of our family on our shoulders.(Noun)
    4)
    Smoking is injurious to health. Here smoking is acting as a gerund hence a subject.
    5) Statistics are not the same as earlier.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

Monika,
    Just add. Fire(n) Fire is God.
    I don't know what is in your mind.

No life without Sun

1. Patience
    2. Deer
    5. is
    Lingering for the nouns in the pages of the world. Let me take some time to come back on the other two answers.

Lead the leader

It is good to create worksheets but it is always better to give answers. Now we are awaiting answers to give more value to this tricky English test.
    Lead the leader

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.