You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Would you escape to the country?

Escape to the Country is a BBC show that I have been watching for about a month now. In this reality show, a couple who wishes to move away from city life to the countryside is shown various properties as per what they are looking for and within the budget they stated. Some will want a certain number of rooms, others a superb view, and yet others a garden or more than one garage.

Now suppose that you had the funds and wanted to get away from a city, move towards a place in a beautiful setting in our countryside. Mind you, this is a lifetime move and not merely a vacation trip. Would you do so? If yes, which place in India would you be eager to move to and why? What aspects would you look for in the home and surroundings?
    Frankly, now, I may not take that choice. Having lived in towns and cities, I had adjusted to that type of life. Today what people wish is peaceful serene green and pleasant outside environment, but with all modern facilities inside own house. That means people want a village with less crowd, but fresh vegetables, low cost, clean air, clean water, and all modern facilities like electricity internet, TV etc available at home without any interruption. One should be able to travel in and out as freely as possible without any traffic, good medical facility etc.
    That is what our former President APJ Abdul Kalam wanted to make=PURA=Providing Urban facilities in Rural Areas. But if that happens then there will be reverse immigration and that village also will become a city with all its problems.

If I want to shift for the rural life in future I would select such place which should have the following availability. There should be farm fields around, cattle especially the cows and the house should be middle of them. The farming should have the mixed produce of grains, pulses, vegetables and other commercial crops. The water should be plenty and there should not any other house near the vicinity. Of course there should a river nearby so that the bathing would done at the river front and the village should be at the reachable distance of some big city so that in case of emergency we may visit the doctors and hospitals. One thing is sure if we leave away from the city and amid the greenery and fields, surely we are blessed with much of the pure oxygen and that would keep us in good health and no complaints of new ailments.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I would like a calm, serene place surrounded by verdure, greenery and a beautiful orchard with a cascading water stream that would give me solace and inner peace. A place free from traffic chaos, away from every kind of pollution would certainly refresh my mind and refurbish my soul. A place fertile for all crops where I can get my day-to-day vegetables by growing them myself would be an ideal spot for me. l have never been interested in the metropolis which is filled with huge chaos and unrest due to the massive rush of people and automobiles. But then not every city is flocked, there are some cities with exotic places suitable for living. Ignoring cities altogether won't be fair. Though people like settings replenished with natural beauty, those who live in cities should also try to make them better for living. Rural and urban areas are part and parcel of a state, so, we can't ignore either one of them. Make efforts to make them elegant and beautiful!

I will not move to the countryside any more because I spent my childhood in the villages only. Politics entered the villages. Almost all the villages in India have two parties. Today's villages are no more 1980 or 90 villages. Almost every day, physical battles happen in the villages. For outsiders, villages look greener, peaceful and serene. But the real situation is not like that. Maximum corruption happens in villages while availing government schemes. In such kind of societies, we cannot live for more than 1 week.

I like these house hunting programs. In first world nations houses in country side are often very big, in a sparsely populated but a gregarious neighbourhood. I love those houses.
    In India, country sides look entirely different. Country life for a city person looks boring and relentless. But I think I would like to be in a country side in mild temperature. Maybe Pondicherry and Goa. Country sides in these two places look beautiful. And since the union territories are so small we will feel the tension between country and city life the least. Outskirts of any union territory will be good.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I would love to do that but there are some considerations which are impeding my interest and inclination. First is that as a place to go in vacation and have a picnic there is alright but living there for rest of one's life is a difficult proposition as one has already accustomed to the urban living. Many rich people have such facilities but they go there only occasionally for a change in the routine. Another reason why I am hesitant to shift to such a picturesque and serene environment is that of medical facilities and medical attendance that we get in urbanised surroundings. It is one of the important factor especially in old age. Incidentally I have a very lovely place in the remote interiors of Uttarakhand state and I am always nostalgic about it and I view the Himalayan range in the morning when I get up if I am there but I cannot shift there due to the various reasons as explained above. Young people can always exercise such options, if they have money to spend, to shift to countryside locales.
    Knowledge is power.

No. Why escape? I am already there in my village.
    As India is for Indians, Tamilnadu is for the Tamilians, Tirunelveli is for Tirunelvelians, SuN's village is for SuN. I don't prefer any other area for my stay. East or West, North or South, my own village is the best. After many decades of my stay in various places in India(Delhi, Bombay, Vizag, Goa, Kochi, Chennai, Rameshwaram, Jamnagar, Minicoy Islands), after my retirement, I have settled in my home village where I came out of my mother's womb and got introduced to this world. My home was a hut then. Now I have modified it and made it a beautiful semi-bungalow for me with all the amenities required for a peaceful stay. Villages in India are no more villages. They are mini towns, especially the village where I stay. When I was a child, I could see only one bus coming to the village. Now there are 40 buses available to the villagers on a day. What is essential for a peaceful life is - Availability of water, unpolluted air, communication and transport facilities. People can go to nearby cities and towns for earning and marketing, and return home in the evening to spend the night peacefully. In that aspect, I am very fortunate, I must say.

To make life more comfortable, I have my good old Padmini who takes care of my journey.

My district(Tirunelveli) is one such district that doesn't exist anywhere in the world. My district has all five land regions that exist in the world. (Kurinji(Mountain) - Mullai(Forest) - Marutham(Plain Agri Land) - Neithal (Seashore)- Palai (Desert) All in one district. A river Tamirabharani which is known as the southern Ganges which never goes dry is present in my district. Its water is the key cause for the famous Tirunelveli Iruttu Kadai (Darken Shop) Halwa, a sweet to taste and cherish.

If anyone has seen such a district in India or elsewhere, they may share it here.

No life without Sun

I have been to Gangtok with my family when I was in 6th standard. It was all beautiful and that time I expressed my interest to spend my old age days there. Gangtok is very beautiful with clean roads, friendly people and limited traffic. I do not the feasibility of staying there permanently but otherwise, I would love to be there. Being a hilly area, there will be issues related to the internet and transportation would also be difficult. I also like Mirik, a place full of nature and beauty.
    Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

I have the plan to shift to my native place from my city life. I shifted from my native place when I was 16 years old. From that time onwards I was staying in cities or towns only but never settled in a village. My native place is a village. The village is full of greenery and water canals and ponds will give special attraction to the village. Outside the village, many paddy fields, banana gardens, coconut gardens, cane sugar fields give a beautiful look. The river Godavari is just one kilometre away from the village. One walk there in the evenings and come back as walking exercise. No pollution and people are very cooperative. Now I am almost retired. My both sons are also staying with me and they are doing their jobs in the same place. That is I am forced to stay back here. But I think in another 3 or 4 years of time I will definitely shift to that village. I have purchased a plot there and I may construct a house also there. I have also purchased some paddy fields. My wife's place is also near and she had some paddy fields there. All these issues may help us to shift our place of residence permanently from Hyderabad to that place. But it will take minimum 3 to 4 years.
    drrao
    always confident

It is interesting to note that some of you already possess a place in the rural countryside of India and are either staying there off and on or are based there. I feel that most people do yearn for a quiet life with a lot of greenery and minimum noise, air, and light pollution. Yet, born and working in an animated town or city for many years will likely make them again wish to get back, not liking the too-quiet a place!

I would not mind shifting to the countryside permanently but the one thing that I would definitely look for is that it should be easily accessible to basic provision stores, services like that of a plumber and electrician, and a good medical facility. I would not like to stay in such a remote area that when the need arises I do not have these facilities.

Umar and K Mohan - you have not mentioned if there is any particular place in India to which you would be glad to shift to.

Bhuvan - I don't think all rural areas reflect the scenario you have sketched.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

• Sign In to post your comments