You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Was my dream trapped in the box?

At home due to the coronavirus lockdown, I was sitting beside my son. I was feeling a little lost and dismal since salary had stopped and I was pondering on my job and financial aspects.

My son was busy in his drawings and somehow my sight got fixed on his art. I was looking at his colour strokes. At his age, he was playing with the strokes and not worried about how they would go. He was simply enjoying it. He picked up a colour from his colour box and simply poured his heart out on it.

And those strokes took me back 25 - 30 years down the memory lane.

All of a sudden, I remembered the colour box I had. I had a small one with a palette. It had 9 watercolours. I used to love drawing the blue skies and small tick marks. The tick marks were my birds. I loved to draw the river in blue colours. The water used to flow everywhere.

It was like my dream in the colour box. I was free at that time. I had nothing to worry about, apart from my studies. I did not like to study.
    I asked my son, what he is drawing? And he said, "sheeeeneeeeriiiiii"! Well, that's the scenery and it made me laugh.

I smiled at his innocence and naivety. Or was it me being too sophisticated?

But I relived my dream with the colour box and the joy in expression. I had been connected to IndiaStudyChannel for some years but have been active only in recent times. But I had read about the article on ways to educate toddlers in one of the articles on this site.

Although I did a lot of painting and colouring, I followed the same for my son after reading this article. And also many few other activities. Maybe he will find his dream in the colour box, as I did.

This is my entry for the School Box Creative Writing Contest
    A good story. Really the acts of the kids give us a lot of recreation.

My son bought some colour pencils for my granddaughter and he also brought a colouring book. He has shown how to colour the sketch given in that book on one page and asked her to do in the other pages. She started doing but she coloured all over the page. Then he told her that colouring should be done only inside the sketch only. Then she did one more and came to show me. She asked me whether she did it correctly or not. She really did a good job for the age of 2.5 years. I remembered this when I read this story. The children will be very fair always as they don't have any different in the mind to what they speak.

Connecting the act of her son to her activity during her childhood is h good and a good entry. I wish the author all the best.

drrao
    always confident

Painting not only soothes us but also connects us with our souls. It gives mental peace to us and widens our thinking, the result is that we are able to recollect the forgotten old memories. When the memories start with the love and craze of a child they are wonderful. Children always are a copy of their parents. When they do memorizes us of our childhood. We live our childhood once again with our children.
    Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

For the artists, the color box surely has great meaning and their dreams has the definite purpose as they make the best out of their creative thoughts to bring in the naturalist in painting.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is so amusing to see the creativity of kids when they have got some colour pencils or colouring crayons. Then only we come to know how much observation these children have. They will be making some lines here, some circles there and if we ask what they are, we will be surprised by their answers. That time only we realise that we missed a lot of details.

The author has connected her dreams to her colouring box and expects her child also to have the same. Whatever be the change in time and lifestyle, there are certain basic elements which do not change. One such is the children's colourful imagination.

Very interesting narration by the author. We remember such things from our past that is especially childhood when we had some limited things in our school bag and we adored them much.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

It is said that parents see their dreams in their children and you too have seen the same. Many things that we left or were not able to take it forward, we try to fulfil it through our children. We may be good in dance, singing, acting, sports, writing, science, recitation, leadership but due to constraints or pressure, we left it or had to leave it for many undue reasons. When we become parents and see the same predilection in them, our inner self smiles and want them to burgeon on it and through them, we try to fulfil our long-lasting dreams. Many things that we left during our childhood is covered and consummated through them and we try to encourage them in every way so that they don't have to sacrifice anything as we had to.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.