You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is there any logic used in using prepositions in English language?

Prepositions are very important in framing sentences in English language.They help to form meaningful sentences. Using correct preposition in correct position in an English sentence is very important. Sometimes we get confused in using them properly. My question is there any logic in using prepositions? Or we use it according to the situation. If there is a logic in using them, knowledgeable members explain the techniques you know using them with proper examples. Members, please try to share or enhance your knowledge through this thread.
    It is very difficult to know the usage of prepositions. It is really difficult for learners as well as the teachers also I think. I feel there is no logic to decide which preposition goes with a particular noun, verb or adjective Same adjective will be used with different propositions. Another problem is when we convert the sentence into our native language what preposition we use there may not be used in English. In our attempt to use the translation word for the proposition used in our language we may be doing some mistakes. I feel we have to follow the literature available to understand what preposition we have to use.
    drrao
    always confident

More often I used to get confused with the prepositions ' at' and 'in', 'to' and 'for',' on' and 'upon', 'till' and 'until' .
    In one of the Bangalore local railway station, I hear the announcement - Train No, 123456 will arrive to platform number one.
    In another Bangalore railway station, I hear - Train number 123456 will arrive at platform number two.
    In another railway station, I hear - Train number 654321 will arrive on platform number three.
    God alone knows which is the correct Railway English.

Very recently I had a problem with "Good at English' and 'Good in English'. Even ISC being a study channel could not say what is correct.

This is what the fate of English prepositions. What to do? Use your own good preposition that you feel it good and sounds good.

No life without Sun

From the author post and the subsequent responses from the above members it is now proved that there is no fresh rule as to which preposition to be used and we can understand it either way.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Certainly. We have specific rules whenever we are using a particular preposition. Whether it is 'in' or 'at' or 'on' or 'over' we can't use them anywhere randomly. There's a logic and a rule behind every usage. Disagreeing here, with many of you I would like to add upon your responses, that every sentence written in English is fully rule specified and that includes the prepositions as well.

Coming to the questions posed by sun
    Train is arriving to/has arrived at platform no. 1
    Here, both the sentences are absolutely correct but are carrying a different meaning.
    When we say 'arriving to' it means that the train is approaching towards its destination.
    When we say 'arrived at' it means that either the train has arrived or within few seconds it will be standing at the platform. Platform being an open area we use 'at' for it. In case it has been a closed or a comparatively bigger area we would have used 'in.'

Coming to Dr. Srinivasa's doubt, I would like to say, every language has its own grammar and if you convert any language into other just by replacing the words of one language by other you won't ever get a grammatically correct sentence. For conversion we should have complete knowledge of grammar.
    I hope I have not been rude while answering to all my seniors. If you find rudeness, I apologize.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

Monika,
    You appear to be an expert in English. Can you kindly throw some light on "Good at English" and "Good in English" that is worrying me a lot since I joined ISC? Someone who agreed with 'Good at English" earlier is not ready to agree now.

No life without Sun

Thank you sun for your appreciation. I would be glad to clear your doubt.
    'Good at English' is used when you are talking about the action or the activity of speaking of a person. In other words when you are simply praising the speaking skills of a person you can use ' he is good at English' which simply means he is good at the action of speaking English.

When we use ' Good in English' it means that the person whom we are talking about has a good command on the English language. Here, we are praising his language not his action.
    Hope, your doubt has been resolved now.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

Yes, we can use this thread also for raising our doubts so that members like Monika Kushwah who have good knowledge in English can clear our doubts. Members can thoroughly discuss about the tricks of using prepositions.

Monika,
    So, Can we conclude that "Monika is good at English" means - Monika is good at speaking English, and "Monika is good in English" Means - Monika has good knowledge about English.

Good. A big doubt cleared. We will follow this" Good at English and Good in English." Very Many Thanks, Monika.

No life without Sun

There are some basic rules and logic for using prepositions in English language and one can find it in a grammar book very easily but the problem is we generally do not refer to the books or do appropriate efforts to find out the correct way of using a preposition and just use it using our experience and common sense which sometimes makes us to use it in a wrong way. Monika has given good guidelines for using the prepositions and also explained it nicely. This thread is becoming a good source of learning use of prepositions for all of us.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• Sign In to post your comments