You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Who should do it first?

Who should do it first? This is relating to the handshake. Of course, we have put an end to handshake now. Yet I want to know something about the handshake.

Whenever we meet someone, especially the educated, shake their hands saying hello. But there should be a custom practiced as to who should extend their hand first to shake hands. Few may not be interested to shake hands due to various reasons.

Who should be first to extend their hand? Is it the old or the young? Is it the senior or the Junior? or is it the Boss or the subordinate? Is it the host or the guest?

What is the protocol for the handshake?

As a stranger, when we visit an office for an interview, who should extend their hand first? The interviewer or the candidate.
    It is not about the subordinate to the boss or young to the old, shaking hands also starts with the worth and respect.
    A person always extends his hand towards the worthier person; worthier to him not to anyone else.
    When we are going for an interview we should extend our hand because the person who is taking our interview is certainly worthier than us.
    But when a person gets a job finalization, the interviewers extend their hand to the person because this time, for them that person is worthy of the job.
    So it's all about the worth.
    Talking about a young and old, here the young should extend his hand out of respect and worth for the aged and in case the old is extending the hand that's again only because of the worth. But the appreciation still lies in the fact that respecteds should always be considered worthy.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

Monika,
    I am not fully convinced by your response. Let me hear from others.

No life without Sun

Handshake can be made by the elder to the younger or even vice versa. The handshake refers to expression of welcome and acceptance of our attendance in front of him or her and it is the inner voice expressed through firm handshaking. Though the handshake culture has been withdrawn post Covid 19, still people feel that they miss the personal touch if not shaken hands or at least pat the person from back in conveying good wishes or just wishes. Still people are in shock as to how the other person would take the situation of handshake without others acceptance. But those who are close and now meet each other after three months do go for handshake coming as the natural response and that is happening without the notice. Even at offices the managers and subordinates do extend handshake as the goodwill gesture.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,
    My question is who should extend the hand first, or who should initiate the action to shake hands?

No life without Sun

As such there are no rules in this regard, as far as my knowledge goes. In the present-day society, it is a good habit to wish the elders and seniors when we meet them. Generally, we will say namaste and then extend our hand for a handshake. This is good manners.
    When we want to congratulate somebody we should extend our hand first.
    When a new person is getting introduced to us we should extend our hand for a handshake.
    In the offices, juniors will always hesitate to extend their hands to their bosses. They wish them only. In such conditions, the boss can extend his hand for a handshake if he wants.
    But it is always better to join our both hands and say namaste is the best way in my opinion.

drrao
    always confident

When I got admission in a diploma in AMU one of my friend was a senior student and he'd friendship with all the prominent personalities of students union like president, vice president, secretary etc and my friend would take me to this group, perhaps it was the reason that I would be taken as a very senior student by the most of students but reality was otherwise. I saw a protocol among students that the junior would pay 'salam' (vadakkam) and senior would extend his hand to shake with junior. And if seniors and juniors both were in any hotel, juniors after wishing their seniors would sit at a distance from them and seniors would pay their bill instead.

Moreover, also I noticed this etiquette that old people would extend their hand towards youngsters for shaking hands.

And I believe in it that the person of higher authority or age or seniority should extend his hand for handshaking, likewise interviewer and host will extend their hands towards interviewee and guest respectively.

I have heard that the senior should shake the hands first. The shake and grip should be properly firm and the other person should feel it as areal welcome and patronage.

Handshake is a friendly gesture and also a form of greeting others which means you have respect for the other person. Why do you worry about the protocol or the senior/junior things? When two persons are meeting for the first time they may be of the same age group and both of their job profile may be very high. Why wait about who should stretch her/his hand first? If you think you should greet her/him go and stretch your hands. It all depends on the type of handshake. You will find various people are shaking hands in various ways and it indicates their level of comfort. But during this period, don't even think of shaking hands.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Sankalan,
    Your perception about the handshake is wrong. There may be people who don't wish to shake hands. If a junior extends his hand, the senior may not like it. Then it would be an embarrassing situation and insult to the junior. Therefore, it is the senior who should initiate to shake hands. Junior will have to oblige. There is a protocol on the official level.

No life without Sun

Sun,
    If people do not wish to shake hands then why one should initiate? If I do not like something, it doesn't matter whether you are junior or senior, am I supposed to do it in any case even if you force me to do it? Rather than making it a junior-senior affair, it's better to think logically. There should not be things like 'you have to do such and such things because you are a junior'.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Sankalan,
    All won't like handshakes with each and every individual they meet. Especially, the bosses won't shake hands with their subordinates, if a subordinate extends his hand for a handshake. The invitation to handshake should come out from the boss. The protocol is - A senior or an elder or a boss or a host should extend their hand for a handshake. I would say that senior and junior plays an important role in handshakes.

No life without Sun

In western society handshake is common in wishing each other while we have Namaste or folded hands in India for wishing each other. So logically speaking same rules should apply to handshake as apply to Namaste in our country. We generally do Namaste to our elders or persons in higher rank and it is another matter whether they give response to our Namaste or not. There are some shrewd people who simply nod their head or just give a small facial gesture to the Namaste to others and actually these are the same people who do not shake hands with you when you try to do that with them. So , basic things remain same whether it is a handshake or Namaste.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments