You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Let us teach all epics to all children before five years of age

The present crisis of the virus has lead to some interesting observations. Since the parents are also holed up in their houses, they do not know how to handle the children, particularly in the age group of three to five. Since the children cannot play outside, they are given a smartphone each to keep endlessly playing the video games. Sometimes two or more children in the same gated community play such games on laptops and the parents are very proud that their children are happily engaged.

Really? The parents are really fooling themselves. They are so much part of their rat race that they have forgot the basics. Since schools cannot even reopen before Septemeber 2020 and only online classes will be on in most parts of India, it is high time to tell good stories. If not anything else, the grandparents who live in the same house, will happily do so and feel happy that they are making a useful contribution. Since the stories will kindle interest, once the child becomes involved, the grandparents can switch over to the epics like Ramayana and Mahabharatha. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with telling all the good that Jesus Christ did or the crux of his teachings. After all, a good balance between the teachings of all epics and Holy texts like the Bible can only add value to any child.

The most advanced research in psychology indicates that all learning takes place before the age of five. This is the right time to grab the opportunity and see the difference. Making children between 3 and five or even lesser age children play video games is no solution at all.

This is my entry to the
    I do agree with the author perception to teach epic to the children at the young age, but teaching all epics would confuse the child and everything forgotten, and even the parents does not know the greatness of all epics. One thing is sure that the epics teach us the great human values, moral values, administrative ethics and how to treat the fellow person. All these intricate characters are always available in single epic and if the parents concentrate on such a teaching before five years of age, the child would be groomed as the great citizen of future without any question asking.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

How can we teach all epics within two years? A child has to complete the routine works and it can not be expected from them to sit quietly and listen to us. Grabbing a child's attention can be possible with a change in actions not by sitting and listening. We may get a maximum of five to six minutes of attention. What can we teach related to the epics within this short span?

One shloka, if taught has to be repeated several times regularly every day for about fifteen to twenty days for a child to have a clear grip on the tone and pronunciation.

Lead the leader

I did not mean that we should teach all epics end to end within a couple of years; what I meant is that the main story could be told without frills; what I did not mention in the thread is that we could always supplement the story with videos that are now available in the market in so many languages. The child will be better placed to understand everything in his or her mother tongue.

As the child grows older, the trick is to revisit the epic with short anectodes.

It is rightly pointed out by the writer that in a child learning takes place before the age of five. We have even seen in the advertisement of Complan or junior Horlicks or Bournvita where they emphasis the same and would like the kids to get all nutrition so that they will become stronger, sharper, taller and wiser. Due to the pandemic, the children are forced to be indoor and use smartphones, laptops or desktops to pass their time. In tender age, they like to listen to stories and this can be used to teach them stories from the epics like Ramayan, Bagvat Gits, Quran, Holy Bible, etc. Every holy book has good and motivating parables that can be taught to children that will not only help them to learn new stories but will help them in the later stage. I am used to hearing RJ Karthik who uses such small stories that enlightens and motivates us. Itis not that we have to be behind them every time and not allowing them to play their favourite games on phone or laptop but some time can be devoted to share such epic stories and even learn the holy scriptures. This will help them to know their roots and even be close to God and knows the real values than thus blindly following it.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

What the author said is possible. As he mentioned in the response, many cartoons are also available in all languages.
    My son, who is 6 years old knows the story of both Ramayana and Mahabharata. In family, we talk more about these epics. I listened to Suki sivam's narration on Mahabharata when I was pregnant. I believe it has some impact in him. So his listening to the related stories did not surprise me.

Me as a blogger, want r d learn the history behind these epucs, so I was doing the related research for a long time. So when the videos and audios related to Mahabharata and Ramayana are much heard by him. When he ask any doubt, I happily discuss in detail with him

As I mentioned above, he get to know more about epics and other mythological stories from cartoon. It helped him to visualize the story that I tell him.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

Srimathi Madam has given the actual position. When very small children are repeatedly told the stories in a very broad way, they will automatically develop an attitude of listening to elders. Due to their patient handling of grandchildren, the grandparents are eminently placed to do the job; they normally relate the stories to day-to-day things that we see and, children in the age group of three to five pick up the connect very quickly. I have seen it happen.

Sharadha Madam's observations on slokas is correct. Children in that age group pick up the Slokas also very fast. The suggestion can be tried as well.

Teaching profession is no more sorry trade
    There are various children edition available. These epics are retold in abridged version as easily understandable to children.
    It is 'Catch'em young' everywhere. So in this case also the beginning should start from childhood so that it gets base.

It is not easy task to teach children below five years of age. In this age, they having much interest in outdoor activities. But it is true that we can handle them in different way. It is not good to engage them in electronic gadget only in lockdown period. Small children having more curiosity about learning anything. If we try to make learn sloka then definitely they will learn. I noticed that when Ramayan and mahabharat serial telecasted on television in lockdown period then many children took interest in watching this serial. Even my children too watched this serial with interest. Some children learnt sloka very well by watching this serial. It would be very nice to teach epic in this age because definitely moral value would be develop in children.

AB Sivakumar,

One has to consider the practicality of it. With ongoing work at home tasks, when both parents are on the job plus doing the housework together, how is it possible for them to have time to narrate epics? Before the current scenario, too, they were busy with their work and now they have even more to do. It is not in every home, either, that there are grandparents.

Also, aren't you jumping the gun and assuming that regular classes will begin in September 2020? How do you know this as a fact?

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Author's contention is that if we teach them our epic stories and lessons from them then that would have good moral effect on them and they would become a good citizen later. It is also true that those who are in touch with their culture would be better persons having good moral values.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

The author is right. In the years upto 1975 there was weekly thrice classes for Moral Instruction,in all class levels. In that periods the teacher explain about epics of all religions to students. Our all epics tells human how to live and how should not live. Now as there is no such classes in schools the parents should take a chance to make their children about the epics that too in tender age as it mentally streamline them in good path.
    When I and my elder brother was children till our seventh year our grand mother took us daily to the nearest temple where pravachan was going on epics.

i second your proposal. Children should be taught epics in their tender age. But as rightly pointed out by Vandana, we should not teach them as a classroom lesson. It should not affect their academic session.
    Such an epic should be taught as bedtime stories. The story should start just before going to bed. It should be in parts ending with curious questions. So the child is ready for the next day's bedtime story period.

I learned Ramayana and Mahabharatham when I was eight. After my mother's death, my father used to tell me a story every night before going to sleep. Not only the epics, but he also taught me many slogans and mantras that I still remember and practice.

My father's teaching made me to draw the figures of Ram, Sita, Hanumaan, Ten headed Ravan, Duryodhan and Dutchathan, Krishna and Karna. That helped me to become a good artist.

No life without Sun

It is possible to taught the epics to the children but it is necessary that he/she must have interest in learning. We can't force them to learn and can motivate them. However most of the children have interest in watching cartoons on TV and smartphone. We can motivate them to watch animated epics. They will definitely enjoy it and learn from it and it will add moral and cultural values.

• Sign In to post your comments