You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Happy to see that activities in our site ISC are increasing

I am finding that suddenly the activity level in ISC especially in forum section is elevated. There are many contests for which the results have been announced and now new ones are being introduced especially the 'Thread a day' contest which has awakened the members to post a thread daily for 15 days. Further, many members and I would say all the active members are benefitted with some award or other and it is a matter of great happiness that the site is getting good regular contributions from the members. Some new members are also doing very well. If the site becomes vibrant it is beneficial for all the stakeholders. In the capacity of a contributing member, I feel overwhelmed with this progress and wanted to share it through this post. Have you also observed this?
    Yes absolutely true that the forum activities has been tremendously increasing day by day and every few minutes, a new post is seen and that gives me great sigh of relief as many a time I found no threads to be answered and old posts are making rounds in the forum. Thanks to the initiative of Vandana, the thread a day challenge has awakened many members to raise at least one thread a day and I could see some members are adhering to the rules and writing some new posts which we have not seen in the forum so far. I am getting more exited with new knowledge and I wish this forum should continue the same way even after the the competition closes.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I want to make one more suggestion to Vandana that though the members are sincerely following to raise one post a day as challenge, but how many members are responding to others threads. That should be towed and noted. Because every thread needs the right response or replies otherwise the great effort of the author goes in vain. So ISC should also have the toe of members responding to others threads and stands good at such responses. Hope the author would also agree with my suggestion.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

K Mohan,

We've often discussed the aspect about responding to others' threads, that it is up to the interest of the member to respond on topics that they like. I agree, though, that we should not be so totally immersed in our mission to post a thread a day; it would be good if we did participate in other threads as well, and also not necessarily in only those that are entries for the challenge.

An additional thought - Let me see if I find time from my work responsibilities and find the energy to do so, to challenge myself to respond (of course with relevant content) to as many threads as possible, if not all, that are not over ten days old. That would be fun, too!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

With regard to this thread's topic - we've always had a fair number of activities each month and not only now. Yet, quite often we have got a poor response to them. The reason for the sea change, in my opinion, is that now we have more enthusiastic new members who are inspiring others as well to be in the thick of things. It is also good to see a few editors renewing their association with this section.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

There are 21 participants in the Challenge contest. A minimum of 5 responses (25 %) to a thread post is expected. We need not have only thread posts without any discussion on the subject. Then the thread may be termed as 'impotent thread' as it cannot deliver any response. Rightly said by Mohan and agreed by Vandana that the members post threads, but never responds to others' threads. That attitude should change, at least in this Challenging Contest.
    No life without Sun

I also feel that as a responsible member our duty does not end with the posting of a new thread. Responding to other threads is also an important activity and there is no point in floating a thread when so many are starving for responses. One way it can be addressed is to reduce the number of fresh posts a member can submit in a month. Of course that is a policy matter of ISC and has to be taken care after due diligence and deliberations internally. Let us try to response to at least some of the good threads that some members have already posted and more are in offing during the offered period.
    Knowledge is power.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I have also noticed that activities in the Forum section of this website are growing in a healthy rate which is ultimately going to be beneficial for all the members of ISC. As you have rightly observed, since so many members are posting at least one thread daily, the number of new threads in the Forum section has surged. However, what will be interesting to see whether we can continue to keep posting in the Forum section even after the challenge or contest is over; that is to say, whether we will be posting in the Forum section with the same vigor and enthusiasm once the pecuniary benefits being offered as of now will be withdrawn.
    Regards,
    Poulami Bakshi

There is more than one factor to the sudden surge in forum activity and participation. The first and foremost is the lockdown situation. Members get more time to spare for ISC forum discussions. The contests and the encouragement members get by more spread of prizes and cash credit also helps. This prompts and propels new members also into confidence and involve.
    Definitely new members have potential and they are more technically oriented to the modern day web content challenges. Many of us the old generation do not have the cutting edge on web related technical knowledge. But many of us are eager to know new things and hence closely follow the new members' threads and posts. Wherever potential is seen we encourage also. So it is a good blend of old, latest and midway.
    To believe that the current surge is only because of just one causative factor can lead to get stuck again.
    ( I would request again members participating in the Thread-a day contest to restrict to that one thread till contest ends, as this can enable members to respond to maximum threads posted for contest. Slowly I am seeing that slowly threads bear a stamp as churned in haste for the sake of contest)

I would invite the attention of ME to the following part in the Thread- contest announcement thread:

"Please keep in mind the point regarding following up your thread because that also is a criterion to decide the winners.
    Participating and non-participating members who post good responses will also be suitably rewarded based on the quality and relevance of the responses."

Venkiteswaran sir has said at # 701799 what I wanted to point out specifically. It may be noted. Follow your own threads as well as entries by others. That does count as already stated in the announcement thread.
    “It is better to change an opinion than to persist in the wrong one." – Socrates

I would also like to point out that why is it that we need to wait for a challenge like this or an activity that offers cash rewards to get involved with helping to develop the site? And why only the forum? How about considering it a challenge to contribute to other sections alongside? For example, contribute at least two articles each week, participate in 15 or more forum discussions each month, try to answer a few questions in the AE section, and so on. Put goals for yourself for each section, rewards or not, and improve on the previous month's goals - that would be the real self-challenge!

Normally I am posting 3-4 threads a month in forum section though I have many ideas which can be translated in shape of a forum thread but again we have to see the time available for it. At the same time I respond to many threads though my response are quite short as I do not want to devote much time in it due to personal limitation of time. I am also finding that suddenly there is a huge activity in ISC and after committing to the thread a day contest, I am finding it difficult to respond to the threads and may be I have to do it selectively. Anyway, I am happy that our site is vibrant with activities and that is the main thing which helps a site to grow in the vast jungle of internet.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Activity increased on the forum section due to the contest of thread a day challenge. Normal times also many members are not active on forum section but they will post threads for all contests. That means the activity will be more if some monetary benefits are there.
    Last three I am not able to see all the threads even though I am spending 5 to 6 hours on the site. It takes a very good time to read the thread, read the other responses and then respond. So very difficult to go through all.
    One suggestion to ISC. As this contest is 15 days, the members should be given a chance to respond to these threads which are for the contest up to 15 days instead of 10 days. That will give a chance for the members to read and respond to the maximum number of threads posted in this contest.
    As mentioned by ME, a similar type of contest can be conducted in all other sections also and see the responses for those contest.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments