You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Small Efforts towards Biodiversity Conservation

Travelling is part of my job. I have been traveled various places and observed that people all over India conserve and protect biodiversity in their style but unintentionally as part of their routine life or as their belief. They even don't know that by doing this they are conserving and protecting our priceless nature. I am sharing here some of my observations which I have noticed here and there in my journey.

In rural and remote areas, people are very close to nature. They love and worship nature and even think responsible himself for its protection and conservation. In Gujarat, people are used to hanging water pot for birds even in desert areas where water is scarce. Many temples have placed artificial nests using empty tin boxes in Temple premises. Peacocks can be seen making nests on Temple's roof at various places in MP. In Delhi also, people put water in earthen or steel pots tied with a tree through a chain and ensure water availability to wild animals, especially monkeys and birds. Similarly, in Mysore, I have seen that people don't cut Coconut trees even when it comes in between their roof or balcony in their Pucca house. They left a cut out for the survival of the tree.

Bishnoi community in Rajasthan and Punjab gives immense importance to wild animals. Animals can be seen very much familiar with them. They never barricade their crops and allow wild animals in their field and graze. I have also seen that in remote areas of Orissa, people used to hang baskets in their balconies to provide habitat for wild pigeons and believe that they will breed in these baskets it will enhance prosperity. Similarly, everybody can do something for the animals. For birds, we can keep water, food and make shelters. In the parks, saucer-shaped shallow water bodies can be made, which can act as a habitat for them.

Third Entry for the ISC 13th Birthday Special- A thread a day challenge
    In Kerala many temples have started the scheme of 'Nakshatra Vruksha'. This planting of trees related to one's birth star. There are twenty seven 'Nakshatra' or stars and hence so much variety of trees to be planted. A person has to remit the needed amount to the temple or the relevant trust or body and they will plant the relevant Nakshatra Vruksha in the temple land or land specially bought for this purpose. The amount remitted is used for maintaining the plants till they grow into trees and self manage.
    The same way people do not harm the Nakshatra Mruga / Nakshtara pakshi or the animal/bird related to their stars. These are all some inbuilt ways in our lifestyle and traditional habit in maintaining bio-diversity conservation.

Small actions continued for long will give definitely good results. One thing is sure that as mentioned by the author knowingly or unknowingly we are doing some good acts which are good for nature. If you see in Andhra Villages, some house will hang a bunch of paddy plants just in front of the house. Birds will come and eat those. We use mango leaves to decorate the house on special occasions. This will help to keep the house free from carbon dioxide and have more oxygen. Another point we are observing is that the plantation in every house is going on and people are getting more aware of the ecology.
    drrao
    always confident

Good to know that other states are also maintaining such kind of acts and rituals. Nakshatra Vruksha is a very good initiative started by temples in Kerala as information provided by Mr.Venkiteswaran. Similarly Dr. Rao informed that people in villages of Andhra Pradesh provides food to birds by hanging a bunch of paddy plants which showed the love and care towards nature by local people. But these kind of practices should not be limited to any area. Everybody should adopt and promote our traditional practices to conserve and protect our biodiversity.

• Sign In to post your comments