You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are you using RO & ACs wastewater?

Nowadays most of the people living in the urban area install RO purifier in their houses where the quality of drinking water is not good. During the water purification process, around 3 times more water gets wasted. That means for every litre of drinking water three-litre water comes out as wastewater. This wastewater contains very high TDS hence cannot be consumed for drinking purpose. But it can be used in several ways.

The wastewater that comes from RO purifier as rejects water can be collected in a Reject water tank which can be used for mopping floors, cleaning utensils, washing machines, toilets, gardening, car cleaning and air coolers etc. Similarly, water coming from the ACs can be collected and further be used for cleaning, gardening purpose etc.

As many cities are facing water shortage also, so it is the need of the hour to reuse and recycle wastewater wherever possible.

Tenth entry for the ISC 13th Birthday Special- A thread a day challenge
    My elder sister is quite strict and disciplined. She doesn't like wastage of anything whether it is water or electricity or anything else. She has a beautiful mind which she uses for preservation and conservation of nature every time.
    She has made a routine that the waste water of AC will be used for mopping the floor so that it won't get wasted. She filters it and then uses the water for mopping purpose and washing the stairs.
    The waste water that comes from RO is also stored by her in proper buckets and she further uses that water in watering the plants. Sometimes she also uses it for soaking the used clothes.
    Not only this she also suggests people and farmers of her area (as she is an administrative officer) to store the rain water and further use that water for irrigation purposes. She also tells them to go for drip irrigation in crops other than rice which need less water so that water should be conserved.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

What a coincidence! Today only I converted my RO water filter to a ZERO WASTE filter.

I am using an RO water purifier for last many years. A question titled Problem in Water purifying system querying on the water wastage from RO water purifier was asked in AE section. I had given my answer from my own practical experience to that question. At our home, we were collecting the waste water in a large vessel and using it for other washing and cleaning purposes.

I heard about Zero wastage RO filters and asked the technicians when they came a few moths ago. They told they can exchange, upgrade or convert the existing purifier to a 'Zero waste" purifier. Today I had to call the technician for some issue in that. Along with that I asked them to convert my existing RO water purifier to a Zero waste one. They said they have not brought the required connector as their office is not functioning and they were directed by phone call. But they gave an alternate suggestion. They can make it zero-waste water filter by passing the RO filter.

As my input water comes from the Municipal water supply and also from a well in my house, both soft water, RO was not a necessity to me now.( A few years earlier when we were residing in another place we were getting water from bore well too, and RO filter was necessary).
    So I agreed and he converted the RO water purifier to practically an ordinary multi stage -UV-water filter. I am happy now there is no wastage of water.

Regarding ACs we use AC only for a few days, few hours during peak summer. The wastage is just a few drops only. Whatever water drops, they drop on the flower pot kept below. So practically there is no wastage of water from ACs.

In fact, RO water is not good for drinking. It will not contain any minerals and no energy will come out of it. Some minerals are to be added to this water. If the TDS is high we can use a simple ion-exchange type water purifier. If fluoride content is more in the water then only we should go for RO filters. Initially, when we started buying water bottles they were selling them as mineral water. Those days the companies were adding some mineral to the RO water. But afterwards many companies stopped that and selling just RO water only. The best water is TDS less water. We can use the Ion-exchange type filters if necessary. Otherwise, candle filtered water is also Ok.
    The advice given by the author is good and should be implemented. I have seen many people practising these things with the wastewater coming from the RO plant. As mentioned by Venkiteswaran Zero waste filters are coming.

drrao
    always confident

It is good to reuse the water and must be used for cleaning floors and washing clothes etc. In the urban areas, we cannot waste much water, as water is more precious and it can lead to water scarcity in the near future. Always if it is electricity or water we must use it for needs without wasting it. Either we can place a bucket near the filter for filtering the wastewater. Now in the markets, we will zero waste filter which actually combines the whole process. I have seen that one of my relative at abroad, when he comes to our India, he always buys 50-litre can and he uses this for his needs. It is because he is used to can water at abroad and he pays money for it. He is not sure that the water which is available here will not be good or not.
    "Earning knowledge is by sharing it with ISC and we will rectify our mistakes."

Yes, Zero waste filter are available in market. They are quite expensive. But most of the people are still using traditional RO water purifier and do not want to replace them with zero waste filter. They can also save water by using small tips.

• Sign In to post your comments