You must Sign In to post a response.
Do you know the wide variety in the types of books that give us joy? Love riddles? Combine books and riddles and you'll have an exciting time, what with every participant being a possible winner! Send your answers by midnight tonight.
  • Category: Reward Programs

Test your book(ish) knowledge – time for some unusual riddles!

Many of us love books, some of a particular genre, others just any kind. So let's test your bookish knowledge through some unusual riddles. Unusual, because these riddles do not want you to tell the genre but the type of book (e.g. textbook, journal, etc). Intrigued? Quick, read the instructions and rules and send your entries before the clock strikes 12 tonight!

General instructions: The riddles are in the attached Word doc. There are eight easy riddles, with the number of letters mentioned for each answer to make it even easier for you. Only send me the list of answers (not the riddles) to the email ID that is given in the attached Word doc. Do not put the list of answers in this thread. After you send me your list of answers, post a simple response to this thread that you have sent the list. As and when I am online, I will acknowledge receipt of your entry.

Rules-
    1. Only one list should be sent in one email. If you send me a second email with changed answers or with answers that you missed out on, the second email will not be considered at all. Do not send the answers as an attachment.
    2. The answers should match the answer key and the decision on the entries will be final.

The rewards-
    There are no cash prizes, but all participants will benefit. Every correct answer will get one point and one cc. Those who get all the answers correctly will get two bonus points and two additional cc, which means that you can get 10 points and 10 cc. It does not matter if your entry is first or last, the afore-mentioned points and cc is applicable to everyone.

Closing time: Midnight tonight (IST).

Get your family involved, too, to help solve these book riddles!
  • Which Book Am I - Riddles (171537-1-Which-Book-Am-I-Riddles.doc)
    I have sent my answers to the given email id. Kindly acknowledge the receipt of the same.
    Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

That was really quick, Padmini! I have received your entry. This looks like a good beginning to this reward program.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Respected madam,
    I have sent my answers. Please acknowledge for the same. Thank you very much.

Honesty is the best policy.

I have sent my answers to the given email ID.
    “It is better to change an opinion than to persist in the wrong one." – Socrates

Vandana,
    I have e-mailed my answers to your e-mail ID at 1255 hrs. Kindy confirm receipt.

No life without Sun

I have received the entries of Hakimuddin, Saji, and Sun.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I have sent my answers to the given email id.

I have sent my entry by email at 1340 hours today. Kindly acknowledge.
    Knowledge is power.

I have just mailed the answers to the given Email ID.

Managing Editor, Thank you for the contest. Just sent my answers. Please acknowledge the receipt.
    drrao
    always confident

I have emailed my answer to the "Which book I am - riddle contest to the provided email id at 4:00 PM. Kindly acknowledge the same. I had forgotten about the announcement but later I remembered. Thanks for the timely updates.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

Hello Vandana mam,
    I have sent my answers a minute back. Please acknowledge.

Regards
    Rizwan

I have sent my answers just now.
    Patience and perseverance pays

I have received the entries of all those who have responded here so far, as well as that of Deepti Shriram, who needs to put in a response here otherwise the points and cc cannot be credited to the correct answers. So up till now, there are totally 12 entries.

[Dr Rao - I am not a Managing Director!]

Ma'am,
    I have just sent the answers to your email id. Kindly acknowledge the receipt.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Yes Sankalan, I have received your entry.

Vandana Ma'am, I have also sent my entry . Kindly acknowledge the receipt.

Madam,

I have e-mailed the answers for the riddles. Kindly acknowledge.

shampasaid

Sorry. Managing Editor, I have corrected my mistake. I regret the inconvenience.
    drrao
    always confident

I have sent answers to given email address.

I have sent my answers to said email address.

I have sent my replies for the riddles to the email address just now. Please confirm.
    Lead the leader

Managing Editor Madam, thanks for bringing out this interesting contest. I have just sent my answers to the riddles in the email address mentioned in that document. Kindly acknowledge the receipt of the same at your convenience.
    Regards,
    Poulami Bakshi

I have sent answers to the given email id at 11:39PM. Please Acknowledge.

I have mailed the answers for your perusal
    Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

I have received all the entries and it seems a couple of you have got all correct answers. Well done! Unfortunately, two entries may not be considered valid due to receiving the entry after midnight as per the time recorded in the email. I will reopen this same thread after the tally of points is confirmed and credit the points and cc to your responses. You may also then give your input on the riddles.

Thanks very much for the wholesome participation. 23 entries - wonderful!

The answers to the riddles are-
    1. Atlas
    2. Autobiography
    3. Encyclopedia
    4. Thesis
    5. Comic/Comics
    6. Picture Book
    7. Notebook
    8. Magazine

Reena and Venkitswaran got all correct and hence will get the bonus points as well. The rest of you have been given points and cc as per the correct answers. Note that either/or options should never be given for such puzzles as it means you are unsure and are basically requesting the organizer to decide which is the right one! So always give one and only one answer. However, typos have been given leeway since generally the answer was correct.

Jagdish and Ajai - your entries came in after midnight and hence will not be considered.

My heartiest congratulations to Reena and Venkiteswaran for scoring 10/10. I am happy that I could pass with 5/10. Let me think to comment on your riddles.
    No life without Sun

My heartiest congratulations to Reena and Venkiteswaran for scoring 10/10. I am happy that I could pass with 5/10. I could not think about Thesis and Comics. Picture book could be Drawing book or colours book. Any way, this puzzle is like a lottery too.
    No life without Sun

I congratulate both the winners for getting the bonus points and cc. I am happy that I managed 5 correct out of 8 questions. A good contest which is very clear and straight. Very well conducted and I thank Managing Editor for the contest and the way she has conducted the same. I expect more such contests in future. I hope both the winners will continue their good work and win many more contests in the coming days. I wish them all the best.
    drrao
    always confident

Congratulations to Reena Upadhya and Venkiteswaran for scoring maximum with the bonus. I am also happy that I also got 7 out of 8. I also congratulate all other participating members. It was a good riddle. And my favourite book, of course, is the fourth one i.e. "Thesis" as i have wrote 2 thesis- one for doctoral and another for post doc. Whenever I see my both thesis i really feel proud.

The riddle contest was quite interesting. I am happy about the seven that I got correct. Most of the clues were quite easy. However the clue for the 8th riddle confused me. I too was thinking on the lines of magazine, but was not sure of a magazine for gardening, architecture or cookery. So ultimately went for handbook, which matched with the first 3 clues, but not with news and movies. Enjoyed being part of the contest. Thanks ma'am.
    Patience and perseverance pays

My best wishes and congratulations to Reena Upadhya and Venkiteswaran for scoring maximum points and cash credit with the bonus. I am also appreciating those who got seven right answers and seven cash credit. Good going.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Congratulations to Reena Upadhya and Venkiteswaran Sir for all the correct answers. I missed it with one and I really regret for that because I actually wrote Comic as my first answer and then changed it. But no worries, I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it quite easy. I congratulate Vandana Ma'am for contesting this contest and would like to participate in such contests in the future also. Congratulate to all the participants as no one will be unrewarded here.
    Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

I am happy that my answers matched with the control answer with the quiz master (Riddle master). As SuN said even I was vacillating between alternatives in one or two riddles. Then I took the help of my family concluded the answers as per unanimity among us.
    Congratulations to all the participants.

Congratulations to the winners and all the participants.

It was a hectic day for me and I missed to see the announcement. While going to bed at 1155 hrs in the night, I glanced at ISC and tried to post a reply. It was just like the last over playing in a one day match, I could be able to guess 5 answers and stored in the email draft. It was 11 59 hrs then and sent the mail to 'iscmcontests@gmail.com' and failure of the mail delivery notification came. Then I realized the error and again forwarded it to 'iscmecontests@gmail.com' at 12.01 hrs. It was just like a run out by the batsman who was trying for a second run!

Anyway participation is more important than the win, isn't it?

Regards,
    Jagdish

I have submitted my answers by email on Sun, 12 Jul, 18:09 PM

Thanks for the interesting riddle.

Life is God's Gift !! Appreciate Life !! Thank you Universe !!

Deepti Shriram,

Only one answer was incorrect (we have accepted the incorrect spelling of magazine) and accordingly the points and cc have been credited to your response above since you could not put in the response earlier about sending the entry.

Not just for you, but for all participants, a request: Please read the instructions properly. It was clearly stated to send only the list of answers and not the riddles. There is a reason for this, as it then becomes easy to simply copy-paste the answers of each participant on an Excel sheet and tally the points. If more than 20 participants send all the riddles all over again with the answers, just consider how much more time gets spent to put the data together.

Jagdish - Indeed participation is important, but then so is the importance of doing things calmly, without haste!!

K Mohan - it would be nice if you participated in such activities.

Dhruv - there are magazines dedicated to a particular niche as indicated in the clue. We used to regularly hire magazines like Upper Crust, BBC Good Food, Inside Outside, Good Homes, etc. We really miss those now.

How many of you solved the riddles with family members?

This was an easier contest still, it gave me hard time at places. I asked my family members also to join me and help me but alas, they got struck at the same point at which I was struggling so they did not get the credit of even one more score. Anyway I thanked them for sparing their time. I thank the editor for bringing out a variety of contest for the amusement as well as learning of the members and I know how much time and efforts it takes to organise them successfully. I want to mention that contests are the main attractions in ISC not because of cash credits only but due to the inherent human aspirations to compete with each other. I hope we continue this practice with same zeal and vigour and enthral ourselves much with this action.
    Knowledge is power.

My congratulations to Reena Upadhya and Venkiteswaran for scoring a perfect 10 (that includes bonus points). The contest was interesting and the riddles were not much difficult. There was good participation and hope to see more such interesting contests in the coming days.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Next time onward I will sure keep that in mind. Sorry for sending answers along with riddles. I understand now that this should have caused you more time and energy. It will not happen again.

I answered "Drawing Book" instead of "Picture Book". I am glad that rest of the answers are correct. Thank you so much for the CC and points.

Congratulations to all the participants for CC and points.

Life is God's Gift !! Appreciate Life !! Thank you Universe !!

Thank you Vandana Mam for conducting the contest. I am eagerly awaiting the next one. My favourite riddle was the first one- atlas. I am glad that I got all the answers right. Congratulations to Venkiteswaran for co-winning and to all the other participants.

Congratulations to Venkiteswaran sir and Reena for getting all the answers correct! If not for carelessly jumbling up two answers, I could have added two more to my score. A word of appreciation goes to all the participants who made this Sunday riddle a success.
    “It is better to change an opinion than to persist in the wrong one." – Socrates

I extend my hearty congrats to Venkiteswaran sir and Reena for getting all answers correct and double credits in the test your book-ish knowledge riddles contest. It was an interesting contest and I am happy that I got 7 correct. I wish to see more such contests in the future.
    Regards
    Rizwan

Vandana Ma'am,
    My answers were mailed to you at 11:59 pm which was within the time limit provided( Although not all answers are correct). Still I guess they haven't been considered by you for evaluation. I am attaching the screenshot of the mail for the perusal.

Monika Kushwaha

Delete Attachment

Congratulations to the winners of the riddle contest, Reena Upadhya and Venkiteswaran for getting all the right answers.

It was really a wonderful riddle contest, only my son supported me for one answer "magazine" which turned outright.

I was also receiving the Good Homes 10 years back through my office, could read through it. I also hold my thoughts with Deepthi Shriram related to confusion in drawing and picture book as the number of letters too hold good with the riddle.

Lead the leader

Congratulations to the winners Venkiteswaranji and Reena for getting all the 8 riddle questions right. I would also like to thank all the participants as most of them have scored above 5 which is a good sign. Also taking this post to thank the organizers and jury for taking the effort to design and come up with such unique quizzes and ideas. Waiting for more and ISC is looking good with good participation from members. Keep up the good work everybody and Thank you.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

Monika - Thanks for the alert. Your entry is indeed valid and your answers were entered in the Excel sheet. Somehow I missed crediting the points and cc to you in this thread. Sorry about that!

About the picture book - It was with reference to the books that we give small children where there won't be text, but just pictures in it and they learn through those pictures.

The notebook is my favourite book as the thoughts which flow can be recalled once written on paper. Sometimes a small piece of papers made as a scribbling pad also would suffice. We are using these books through ages from our parent's childhood to future generations, grandchildren, still, it has not lost its value. Some have been resized with different colourful pictures yet the value is stable.

The picture book is really good for teaching kindergarten students as they can grab better than by only pronunciation of words.

Lead the leader

Vandana ma'am,
    Thanks for crediting the points. I have one more question - only the first answer of mine was incorrect rest all were correct yet my points haven't been credited accordingly. Kindly look into this matter.

Monika Kushwaha

Monika,

Please refer to my response #703813. Answers for such puzzles should be one and one only, not with 'and' 'or' options. For other participants also the same has been applied and points/cc not given.

• Sign In to post your comments
    Submit New Thread
    Return to Return to Discussion Forum