You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Work spirit - Before and After

The beginning of a new financial year brings a lot of joy, happiness, numerous expectations and a work flow spirit engrossed in enthusiasm in which each professional has many plans to discuss and put forth the bosses. The spirit of hardwork is overloaded with thousands of aspirations and plans and every professional is ready to give his best with an increased knowledge of everything he lacked in the previous financial year. From day one he starts giving his best not only to his bosses but also to his colleagues and juniors. The team spirit also widens with harmonious gestures towards everyone in the office.
    Then comes the day of appraisal, the day when increment, the most awaited part of a professional's life, is to be announced. With huge expectations and a positive attitude a person enters into the cabin of directors and leaves with the knowledge of appraisal. If the appraisal meets the expectations the enthusiasm to work and toil towards the work increases but the situation worsens if the expectations are more than what one receives.
    The spirit, the confidence, the hardwork even the positive attitude is soaked into the bucket of inferiority.
    Isn't it better not to expect? As the whole game is of expectations, if we don't keep any expectations we won't suffer and we might even get the rare feeling of satisfaction as well. Do you have any such experience with your appraisals? Do you really feel the working aptitude differs before and after the appraisals? Share what you usually do to avoid the stress.

This is my entry to A Thread A Day Challenge
    My personal experience was different. We were employed in organisations where there are set norms for remuneration and promotion. Certain number of years had to be completed to be considered for next elevation. The annual increment was a fixed one. As far as one has not cause any financial loss or loss of reputation to the organisation, if you have not indulged in indiscipline conduct and if you are not very below average in work-you are sure to get the annual increment regularly until the stagnation level.
    Nepotism or favouritism can be done only in a narrow band when the next level promotion is being taken up. For that also there were norms as the number of higher levels vacancies is announced. Only in the interview and final selection can something be done.
    So we ourselves can generally guess our results based on our past work and performance in interview. In the early few levels most will get n the first attempt or second attempt as per vacancies. But after a certain level vacancies narrow, and here comes the interferences, as 'my man' 'your man' etc.
    It was a common saying in our organisation that after such promotion process fifty get motivated and five hundred get de-motivated.
    Things were more transparent then. Hence demotivation and attrition were reltively less.

The secret of happiness is in this only. No expectations. In such cases, whatever comes will be satisfying. Another aspect is comparison. When increments are given people start thinking about the percentages others got. They try to say they work hard but another person who worked less efficiently than him got higher amounts. This will make them unhappy and they will be in that mood for a month or so. In my previous Organisation, we have 6 ladies working as officers. After the increments are announced they used to complain about each other. They try to explain to others that management has done a big mistake by giving higher increment to other lady and giving less to her. I feel if one is happy with the obtained benefits they can perform well and if they are deserving they will get a better offer in another similar organisation. If there are no expectations the person will be working with the same zeal before after,
    drrao
    always confident

Be sincere and perform your duty as normal without any showoff. You are sure to get what you deserve. I am an average intelligent guy. I do what I am supposed to do. And I am not a 'Yes Boss' man. I call a spade a spade. I work hard to my satisfaction. If I can, I would say 'Yes. I can and I will". If I cannot, I would say, "Sorry. No. I cannot."

I never failed in my life. I enjoyed life both at home and in my office. I got my promotions on time and retired on time. I worked sincerely without any expectations, and I expected my subordinates to work sincerely without any expectations. All my subordinates too got their promotion on time.

I don't get attracted by appraisals to change my attitude to work.

No life without Sun

Expectation plays a big role in the human mind. We all have some of the other expectation from everything that we do. When we do our work with full sincerity, we expect a pat on our back, some good comment and remuneration in the form of appraisal or position which is the driving fuel for all. When we give our 100% and wait for the correct day but our expectation falls, we are let down and many feel dejected, sidelined, etc. It is good if we can keep a positive spirit and not to expect anything but keep on doing our best but we are humans. We all have something to look forward and in our work or job, it is the position or increment that is the fuel. If the company follows a standard and the increment is same for all, even if we get below our expectation, we may not worry but if we see some favouritism or nepotism coming into play, we may feel down and it may affect our working aptitude before and after the appraisals.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

It is true that most people suffer the traumatic conditions after adverse increment received because of their expectations. And comparison with others adds a cherry to it acting as an acid reacting with a base. For self satisfaction comparison should always be avoided.
    Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

• Sign In to post your comments