You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Promote the concept of free child till 5th standard

We seem to be doing all the wrong things in our school system. There is overwhelming proof that the play way method is the best form of education until the 5th standard. To be sure, the play-way method is the nearest to promoting the concept of a free child. In short, a free child is someone who is allowed to be a child -- that is, with the spirit of inquiry, the same spirit of playing and even breaking things, that are very common to any child at that age. The child grows by asking any number of questions. The child is never taught only the syllabus. In many playschools, they are taken to actual places of work -- be that a railway station, or a hospital, or a shopping mall, and so on. Observation and asking questions is the surest method of learning. And this is the crux of the concept of free child.

Contrary to public perception, the play way method does not mean the children go on playing all day. It is just that they learn everything through play. They keep playing and understand each other. He human mind is capable of learning very fast in those formative years and there is ample record that the children, who are never allowed to be beaten in the play way method, turn out to be the most creative citizens in their later life. They are , more adaptable to change. The HRD Ministry should research this model and take it further. It should be implemented all over India.

This is my entry to the a thread a day contest
    Let the education ministry do research and study on the post that is raised by the writer. I am not that sure or heard about the concept of free child upto class 5. I support the concept of free child upto standard one as it is when children are playful and would like to run, play, ask a question and even learn. Once they cross the age of 6 or is in the first standard, they should be taught in school but one can eliminate exam and provide practical knowledge and projects that will help them to come up with a new and creative way of thinking and using their thoughts, ideas and theory.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

The title is slightly misleading .The author suggests teaching by play method till fifth standard. That is not advisable. Even from old times an age of five-six or maximum was taken suitable to start formal education. It is true that learning will be more effective when the practical 'see, hear, touch and feel' methods are used. Even in present day syllabus this system is sufficiently included. Children are familiarising in graded way on more technical matters including computers. Recently a fourth class student told me about computer most of which I learned only after I reached middle age. Does it mean that the child should also wait up to middle age to earn computers?
    Education has to be integrated with the ground realities and technical advancements. Technology can be used in teaching too. Is it possible to teach about Sun and Moon to a child by exactly visiting, or touching and feeling Sun and Moon? How will you teach a child about dreams? How will you teach that Earth is round or something is poison? Imagination and theoretical teaching is also needed and children of even lower ages can understand and comprehend that.

These days good schools are coming where this playschool concept is used. They make the student feel that he is not in a school atmosphere. They give them enough freedom and make them roam around and a caretaker will be taking care 7 to 8 kids. She will be clearing the doubts of the students. They will not take them to the railway station. But they will be shown them a toy train which will be running on the rails provided. They will show them the parts and explain them very nicely the whole concept. The teachers require good patience. There will not be any writing or reading. No homework also.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments