You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

The habit of forming spellings is better than learning them.

When it comes to spellings of words, students usually try to learn them by giving throat reading. They read a particular spelling again and again and learn them like this but when it comes to write them after learning they forget the spelling and write something else. Again when the correction work is given to them they do the same and are thus unable to retain the spellings for long.

Instead of repeating the spellings and giving them throat reading again and again if the habit of forming spellings by listening to the sounds is inculcated in the students they would be able to form the right spelling and won't be forgetting them.
    Like we can teach them the pronunciation of -at along with all the sounds of consonants and vowels and then if we ask them to write the spelling of cat, mat, rat, pat, sat they would be able to write them easily. And it will then become a game for them hence they will enjoy making new spellings. This habit of forming spellings should be inculcated in kids at a tender age otherwise they will develop a fear of learning spellings and will often commit mistakes in writing them which later on will affect their marks in examinations.

This is my entry to A Thread A Day Challenge
    I fully disagree with you. It is the practice that makes a person perfect in spelling. We don't commit spelling mistakes. There are words that we spell wrongly. Even the highly educated makes such silly spelling mistakes. My daughter used to write 'their'' as 'there' and 'there' as 'their'. I also have observed many educated people misspelling the word Trial as trail and trail as trial. There are many such confusing words in English.

Such confusing words should be repeatedly written as an imposition. I asked my daughter to write 100 times their and there. She is perfect with the spelling now.

I conclude saying that imposition makes them perfect to spell words correctly.

No life without Sun

I don't know how far it will work correctly? The spellings are very misleading. For example if you want to write the way you pronounce a knife will nife only. A Knot will be not only. Often will be ofen only. So it is not that easy to write the spellings by pronunciation. Some time 'E" and 'A' will be misleading us. But as mentioned by the author many spellings may be written by using the pronunciation. But in other cases, it may not be applicable.
    drrao
    always confident

Sun,
    Sir a student who knows to make spellings by listening to the pronunciation must be a practical student. It will then be easy for the teacher to tell him the difference between there and their and other homonyms and homophones.
    Dr. Srinivasa,
    Sir, a student writing nife instead of knife is a better version than not writing anything at all. He, if has learn to make spellings, would definitely learn the silent letters usage as well.

Let's enlighten paths with the ray of knowledge.
    Monika Kushwaha

When children are at a young age and forming of three-letter words can be considered easy according to the author. Children learn to enjoy and writing correct spellings. As they move on to primary classes, the syllables and blends should be added to frame correct spellings. Few learn through this technique whereas a few through the imposition only.

In high schools, they are using more than six-letter alphabets. The pronunciation and spellings are not inter-related so it can be attained through regular practice. They have to read more and add more words to building vocabulary skills than spelling.

Lead the leader

Monika,
    Take the word 'Education' . We don't spell it as 'Education' but Ejucation'. How the pronunciation matters here?

No life without Sun

Sun,
    Sir, do you agree with the fact that polishing a stone regularly makes it a carved showpiece. Similarly a child while forming spellings would exercise his mind to a level that it will start catching whatever he observes at a glance and will learn with a simple reading.
    I simply mean to say that this habit will develop his mind to catch things fast and retain in memory for longer time. Thus, throat reading won't be required again and again by him.

Monika Kushwaha

You may all be aware of the anomalies in English. Hence it will not be possible to correctly spell a word based on phonetics.
    The popular example is GHOTI for fish (the sound 'f' as in enough, the sound 'i' as in o of women.and the sound 'sh' as given by 'ti ' in ration.

We write PUT, CUT, but the U in each word sounds different.

As a slight squint, or a dimple on the chin sometimes adds to the beauty of the face, these anomalies only make English interesting.

Let it it be any language, all sounds cannot be exactly represnted by writtenword.

I think it was 'Pitman's Shorthand' that used sounds to a useful transcript.

English is a very interesting language and there are many words which are pronounced differently from the way they are written. In such a condition it would be difficult to write them correctly from the sound of the word parts. But yes if the students practice that way many times then an image would be prepared in their mind for each of the word and they might remember the correct spelling.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

A good note by the author about the habit of forming spellings is better than learning them. The children will be liking it and will ease their work or reading or byhearting word and spelling when they can easily form from its sound or pronunciation. My only concerns are of similar-sounding words or when it is not pronounced correctly. We know that in our country, the word pronounced in south may vary in the north, in east and west so if the word is correctly pronounced by everyone, it will be very beneficial. Nowadays, teachers are very good and do their homework so it may be easy to form a word.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

The habit of forming spellings has to undergo certain rules.
    Firstly the pronunciation of vowels and consonants at a tender age should be taught.
    Second stage comprises about telling the rules of silent words along with exceptional sound terms.
    Then the child should be taught about the basic phonetical symbols which also have the sounds similar to those of Hindi alphabets.
    Finally the rules of spellings with sh, Ch, x, es etc should be taught.
    Once the child learns these rules there would be no difficulty in forming them.

Monika Kushwaha

Somehow I feel forming spellings will be good up to 80% only. But the main problem here is once we decide on a spelling we can't easily correct it. Knowing silent letters is also a difficult issue. So one should learn or go through the dictionary and practice that word so that he will be perfect.
    drrao
    always confident

True, we often commit mistakes while writing the spelling of some words. This is the result of our negligence in course of learning words correctly in our childhood days. However, this was not the case with all the young practiciners. Correctness in respect of spelling has been achieved mostly due to the efforts of our primary teachers introducing repetitive writings of such words where the pupils have erred. Such a system was definitely helpful in ameliorating the frequent mistakes with respect to spellings.

I completely disagree with the author. It is not possible to teach spelling to childrens just by the pronunciation of words. If I spelt pronunciation according to you then It spelt "pronounciyation". I think teachers should prepare a list of words like grouping words together like with their family example "night" ght pattern. There are many similar words that you will find ending with ght pattern so prepare a list. Teach them those words which ends with like "Laugh" ugh pattern so there are many words are end with ugh like tough, rough, etc So this is the best way to teach spelling. Teacher should research on what words kids tend to use at different grade levels. First teach, let them practice and take pretest. This method of teaching will definitely help children to learn spelling.

Himanshu,
    Let me clarify there's a difference between 'ya' and 'ia' sounds and this could only be understood by correct pronunciation of letters, vowels, consonants, words along with phonetical symbols. A correct knowledge of these brings changes in pronunciations.

Monika Kushwaha

Monika, Thanks for clarification but what about "Pranoun" and "Pronun". The whole word should correctly spell. We cannot change the pronunciation of words then we have to start pronouncing this word with PRO which is not acceptable. As Sun sir also mentioned a word Education. Your method may be work for some words.

Himanshu,
    If we look at the phonetical arrangements of the words the pronunciation of pronunciation could easily be understood and this point has already been discussed by me in the above points.

Monika Kushwaha

• Sign In to post your comments