You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Which one is correct - What is in your mind or What is on your mind?

Members,
    English is a foreign language, and quite often we get confused with the usage of the prepositions. In one social media, I find this phrase "What is on your mind?". It sounds peculiar to me as I always used to write or ask, "What is in your mind?"

English experts, please clarify which is correct - What is in your mind/what is on your mind? and justify it.
    What is on your mind? What is in your mind? which is correct? I think both are correct and the usage should be based on the situation.
    in your mind is used to mean "in your imagination".
    on your mind indicates worry or preoccupation.
    This is what I read somewhere.
    Ex: I have many issues on my mind. I can't think about any other issue.
    I never imagined this situation in my mind anytime.

drrao
    always confident

when someone says something is "on my mind" they mean they need been pondering it plenty and doubtless want to mention something about it. "in my mind" could be a way more general and abstract phrase.
    it isn't really an expression in the slightest degree, but a literal statement that something may be a mental construct, as against existing within the planet.
    it's far more common for people to mention "in my head" instead of "in my mind," though they still mean it's in their mind, not physically inside their head.

Swati Sharma

Keep your Face to the SunShine

Technically speaking our mind is located inside the head and therefore what I feel that what is in your mind is right way of saying and even my school teacher used to say that.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments