Best friendship short stories - E-book 13-hour challenge contest begins!Now that we've got all our story writers (SWs) neatly lined up, with the much-loved friendship day approaching, let's begin our mammoth e-book of short stories on the theme of Friendship.
What you have to do: Select any two names (not more) for your story from these names: Peter, Jean, Oliver, Tom, Dick, Matilda, Alice, Kartik, Xerxes, Dorothy, Hermione, Nooni, Charlie, Alexander, Mowgli, Swami. These names were taken from the previous contest.
Now weave a happy creative short story of friendship between those two that you selected. The characters need not be children, but must be human. You may include other additional characters, objects, pets, whatever you like, and conversations between them, but the story should be a short one within the maximum word limit as stated in the rules. Each short story will be an independent one and does not need to be connected to the previous story or the characters of the previous story. Submit the story in a response to this thread itself.
The challenges in this contest: Firstly, each SW must begin his/her story with the very last word of the previous story. For example, if SW1's story ends with the word 'home', then SW2 must begin her story with that word only. Now, this may be tricky, because it cannot start with 'A home' or 'The home'. However, to ensure proper grammar, in case SW2 cannot come up with some suitable opening sentence with it, the word home can be incorporated within the first word. Examples: the story can begin with words like homecoming, homegrown, or homework. So the challenge lies in coming up with a good start to the story with the word given, making the first sentence in proper English. Similarly, if SW2 ends the story with 'foot', then SW3 cannot begin the story with 'feet', but must come up with something like 'footsteps', 'foot in the mouth', etc.
Secondly, the challenge for each SW is to come up with such an ending- word as to make it a challenge to the next writer to start his/her story. Similarly, it will be a challenge for every writer to begin the story with the ending word of the previous story.
1. Each participant must submit a story on the theme of Friendship in the exact sequence as stated in my first response below, within 13 hours of the previous participant's submission. If the time in the blue band shows even one second later, then the story will not be eligible for the main prizes. In case a participant fails to submit the entry within the stipulated 13 hours, the next participant in line will be expected to submit his/her story within 13 hours of the previous end time of the non-participant.
Example: SW5 submits a story at 7.35 a.m. on 29th July. SW6 does not submit a story by 8.35 p.m. SW7 must then submit the story by 9.35 a.m. of 30th July. Hence, all participants must regularly follow this thread to see if the previous participant has submitted his/her story.
2. Each story must have a short title of not more than five words, with the word 'friend/friends/friendship' included in it.
3. The story must be a short one in English only, not more than 313 words (those who got the advantage of more words can, of course, take advantage of that!). Once you submit the story, do not change it or the title or the names selected, but you are permitted to edit and correct English and minor errors.
Update at 2.55 p.m. today: While editing to rectify minor mistakes, please do not change the last word as the next SW may have seen it right away and started on his/her story.
1. The two best stories will get the first prize of Rs.130/- each.
2. The next two best stories will get the second prize of Rs.100/- each.
3. We may give up to two consolation prizes, and all participants will get enhanced points and cc up to maximum Rs.25/-, but if rules are not adhered to will get only a few points for participation.
4. There will be bonus points and cc for the best three titles.
5. After the contest closes, a separate thread will be put up to guess the Mystery Writer SW13. The first three who make the correct guess will each get 10 points and 10 cc.
Note: Please do not create a ruckus in this thread about somebody not submitting in time or out of sequence, or raising queries in between. All such problems can be raised in this thread and as the organizer I will deal with it when I come online.
So let's start this Friendship E-book!
[SW1 – your 13-hour time frame will begin from my first response below.]