You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

Third stump in cricket

Cricket is the most popular game in India. Although Hockey is considered as de jure national game,yet cricket is de facto. I don't intend to discuss what is our national game, rather I want to share an interesting incident about cricket.

You are well aware of wickets on both ends of cricket pitch consist of three stumps, the upright wooden poles with two small bails on top of 3 stumps hammered into the ground. In the beginning there were only two stumps and one bail instead of three stumps and two bails, used to be hammered into the ground. It looked like a small (wicket) gate. In 1775 A match was being played. A bowler, named Lumpy Steven bowled three successive deliveries to John Small through the gate without hitting stumps. This incidents confused all cricketers of that age and they found the solution of the problem and thus the third stump was introduced in cricket.
    I have some interest in cricket during the time of playing international matches only and up to the point as who won the match. So, this is really an amazing information though very subtle in its nature.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

A good piece of information is shared by the writer which many would have not known. I would also like to share some information about the most loved game in India i.e. Cricket.
    - It was in 1697 that the first eleven-a-side match of cricket was played.
    - It was in 1744 that the first laws of cricket were compiled.
    - It was in 1771 that the width of the bat was restricted to 4.25 (10.795 cm)
    - Three years later i.e. in 1774 the mass of the ball had to range between 5.5 and 5.75 ounces (155.92 and 163.01 grams).
    - The first recorded century(hundred) was scored by John Minshull (107) in August 1769.
    - Earlier, bowlers typically rolled the ball along the ground, what we call the underarm bowling. It was Tom Walker at Hambledon that tried the overarm bowling in between 1770 and 1790.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

Good information given by the author. When the gap between the two stumps is more and if it can allow the ball from the gap it will be difficult to the bowler to clean bowl the batsman. Then the think tank has solved this problem by introducing the third stump.
    Initially when the game was having only one format of test match the game is having importance for the technic and bowlers used to dictate terms. But to make the game more attractive oneday format and T20 version of the game has come. Then the bowlers are becoming helpless and batsmen are hitting the ball very easily and comfortably.

drrao
    always confident

The introduction of the middle stump was well explained by the author and generally, it looks odd to have them play with two stumps and a bail looking like a mini gate. In our gullies, we do not have the bails being kept on the wickets and thus some good bowlers among my friends used o bowl so near to the top of the wicket as the wicket would be fallen just to the speed of the ball and not actually touching it. Probably for this reason the bails have been introduced. But according to me the bowler who can rip apart the centre wicket without disturbing the other wickets is the best bowler because he has been bowling straight and the priceless wicket is taken. But even today the most confusing part of the game is the decision of LBW. Most of the decisions giving out on are not nearly leg before wicket but little off the same.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.