You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How much proficient we are in our mother tongue?

We learn our mother tongue by hearing our elders when they speak among themselves. Slowly we will pick up those words and we start speaking in that language. Once we complete our tenth class or intermediate we will stop studying the languages. So our knowledge in our mother tongue is limited only. We all can read, write and speak our mother tongue.

There are many epics written in various languages. These epics are available in all Indian languages as poetry and prose also. How many of us can read and understand those books? Are we proficient in our mother tongue to read and understand our epics? These days many of us will never have time to read these books. Even though we read we may not be able to understand them. Do you agree?

I request the members to share their views.
    I would not say that everyone is the same as many student do prefer studying their mother tongue and even their parents stress on taking their mother tongue for graduation or as an optional subject. Children who are bought up in their state do study their mother tongue or regional language and that includes reading, writing and speaking. It is true that after +2 or HSC, we are not in touch with our regional language but as we have studied it, we do prefer reading it in the form of newspaper, magazines, articles, etc. As more focus is given to English and Hindi language, many do not continue to read or write in their mother tongue but when you ask them, they would always prefer their regional language to be the first place. As there are very few job opportunities in our state that they have to leave it and move to other state or country and the touch with it diminishes. I have many friends who are working in another region of our country or even working in gulf countries and still read their regional newspaper and prefer a Malayalam news channel than another language. The love that we have for our motherland and mother tongue can never change and will be the same forever.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

Super point raised by the author. According to me we, many of us, not proficient in our own mother tongue, up to the expectation. Many of us do not know the basic grammar of the language even to the level of teaching our own children.

For me, my mother tongue is Hindi as in my family we used to speak Hindi only and I still have a good grip on it. I studied at Banasthali University, which follows Gandhi Ji's thoughts hence great emphasis was given on Hindi language. I used to be a wall magazine (for Hindi) editor during school days. I still remember one incident when I was in class 12th. I got 100% marks in Hindi and my father thought that how could one score 100% marks in literature or language. He went to meet my principle and Hindi teacher. The teacher shared my answer sheet to him and said that there were no points to deduct marks.
    Language is something that once we learn it, it is difficult to forget, especially our mother tongue.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

I do agree with the author that we boast of talking mother tongue fluently but in reality we use other languages in between to make the understanding perfect and in that process we are sidelining our own mother tongue and not interested to find the right words instead of using English in between. Likewise the pure language cannot be understood nor by-hearten and that is the challenging situation for many. For example when old mythological movies of NTR are shown on the television, there would be Padhyam which carries the story along and sang in the pure Telugu to which only few understands. In fact the war scenes would be less with warfares and more with the Padhyam challenging the opponent. Even In Tamil we cannot understand the poetic words of big authors and thus we cannot claim that we know the mother tongue fully well.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

No one is perfect in their mother tongue. Especially they do not know the grammar. As a Tamil, I won't be able to conduct the class and explain grammar in Tamil. The same is the case with other languages. Many may not be knowing the word equivalent for Verb, Noun, Adjective and Adverb in their mother tongue. Maybe the pandits in that language would know the words. Surely, they must be the language teachers only.

We know English grammar better than our mother tongue grammar. We might speak rightly, but won't be able to explain it or teach others.

Most of the Tamils and Malayalis doesn't know how to pronounce La, LLa, Zha, Ra, Rra. They are the peculiar words in Tamil and Malayalam.

For E.g. If someone asks 'How many alphabets are there in English?" the answer would be a quick 26. But if we ask others, the majority won't be knowing the number of alphabets in their language. In Tamil there are 12 vowels, 18 consonants, 12x18 =216 + 12 + special alphabets. Yet we cannot round up and say a definite number.

No life without Sun

My mother tongue is Urdu and I've good fluency in my mother tongue. While reading classical books, sometimes, Persian or Arabic deep rooted words are difficult to understand. Reading old and classical books is rather beneficial as it improves vocabulary.

But now I see that most of the young people like to be fluent in English. Why people like to have fluency in English is quite obvious but it doesn't mean that they should discard their mother tongue.

To be proficient in any language we need to speak, write, read, practice, be able to teach others. If we are able to follow all these steps for one particular language as specified by the author we can be proficient in our mother tongue.

We are living in a place where there are people from at least five to six languages. We speak and communicate to them regularly in their mother tongue so that they can respond easily but in the event, we tend to follow different pronunciation and vocabulary that finally it becomes a mix of languages when we speak to our family members.

Lead the leader

I think people have a good command of their Mother tongue as compared with other languages but at the same time, we know there is a big demand for other languages and English is the most common language which should be necessary by people to understand and speak. If I am talking about me my mother tongue is Hindi and I have completed my entire study in Hindi, when I was started pursuing MBA it was only an English medium this time I have to face some difficulties but after some time I became quite friendly with English as well. But still the perfection I have in my mother tongue would not be in any other language.
    Swati Sharma

Keep your Face to the SunShine

• Sign In to post your comments