You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Group Discussions

What is ideal - Three language or two language formula?

We had an interesting Active GD on NEP 2020. Though we discussed it at length, we failed to discuss one of the important aspects in detail. The NEP talks about three language formula which emphasizes learning of Hindi/Sanskrit. It says that two out of three languages should be the language of India. This would force the non-Hindi speaking states to learn Hindi indirectly. Tamilnadu is following a two language formula with Tamil and English. Hindi is left to the interested individuals to learn it through private institutions. If the southern states are forced to follow the three-language formula, Hindi/Sanskrit would be the third optional subject taught in schools. No one would prefer to learn Sanskrit, but Hindi.

Doubts and queries are many that are to be solved. But let us discuss.

Start your discussion with " I am for two/three language formula"
    There has been heated debate when ever Hindi has been given the fillip to be taught across the country and except for Tamil Nadu there is no problem from other state in learning the Hindi. Even in the NEP the need for learning three languages is mooted and this is the draft policy and the states can have their say as regards to the third language in question. But Tamil Nadu can give the suggestion of learning Sanskrit as the third language and even for that there would protest from the Dravidian parties which may not like imposing Sanskrit as the compulsory language to learn.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I always prefer three language formula. I studied in the same system. My languages are English, Telugu and Hindi. Up to the tenth standard, we studied three languages. In intermediate only two languages. Telugu and English. In degree two languages only in the first year. Telugu and English. From second year there are no languages to be studied.
    I feel Sanskrit is a good subject which will be useful to read and understand many of our old epics. Especially we can read and understand Vedas also if we are good at Sanskrit. In some foreign countries, people are reading Sanskrit and they are understanding the information given in various books and making use of that in their Research and Development activities.
    So in the three-language formula, Hindi need not be there. The three languages can be Mother tongue, English and Sanskrit. I prefer this combination.

drrao
    always confident

I would go for three language formula and many of us who do not want to take Hindi as the third language can go for Sanskrit. Actually we should not force people for Hindi or Sanskrit because by forcing they would oppose it. Let them opt it voluntarily. Many people have recognised the importance of Hindi and have already started learning it. There might be some political issues to oppose Hindi but those would slowly and gradually subside when people find that learning Hindi is beneficial to them in many respect. Alternatively what Govt can do is make two pools of languages. First pool would contain languages like Hindi, Sanskrit, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bengali, Assamese, Marathi etc while the other should be comprised of Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Oriya, Kannada etc. After that let the student choose languages but he or she can choose only one language from one group. This would help in the development of all the major languages of India. When a person from Southern states is ready to choose a language from the Northern group why a person from Northern states would not choose a language from southern states? If Govt does this the language problem and language barriers would dissolve away.
    Knowledge is power.

Though the objections and favours came through politics, the side from students will get acceptable if the third language hold no much importance in passing the examination. During the years before 1965, the language Hindi was in high schools but the marks were not considered for passing the class. Later in my school during that period there was free sanskrit classes after the school hours. Many students including me were attended as it was only for learning and not for examination purpose. But to my surprise I came to know later, that is after 30 years, that a friend who studied sanskrit with me working as a Sanskrit lecturer in a college.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.