You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Questioning superiors needs guts and also knowledge

When we question the superiors, we must be ready to face the continued bombardment from them because we have shaken their confidence level and seeking more information or clarification to which he or she already given much on the matter. Normally everyone sulks and would not ask even in the class room when the friendly teacher keep on asking us to clear the doubts. But some times we venture ourselves to question the speaker, or those giving speech on the stage to clarify his past promise or statements to which the speaker would face the embarrassment situation. Have you ever cornered someone?
    There will be two reasons when we ask some questions. If we don't understand the subject we may ask questions. We may ask questions to test the knowledge of the other person.
    Questioning somebody is different from asking questions. When we question somebody about their acts or talks we should have a proper understanding of the point we are raising. If we don't have a good understanding of the subject we may be cornered instead of cornering the other person. We should have a piece of proper subject knowledge and there is should be a shred of proper evidence with us to claim that the other person is not correct in his acts or talks.
    A superior may have more responsibilities than us. So the actions he may take will be in the overall interest and he will act keeping the other areas he is covering in addition to the area you are working. So we should think about a wider origin when we want to question a superior. We can question a junior person as his responsibilities are less than you and you know the complete area of his work.

drrao
    always confident

Nice thread by author. I have many times confronted my seniors, superiors and teachers and found that the response from them is totally dependent upon their own depth of knowledge and stability as a person.

First experience I would share is when I confronted my teacher when he was trying to explain us how to solve a Sudoku puzzle by drawing 27 rows and 27 columns on the blackboard. I actually stopped him midway while he drew the chart and showed him the solution within 9x9 box without any more addition of rows or column.
    The teacher was taken aback as none other student knew of Sudoku as it was avery new kind of puzzle. It was around 20 years back. Although, the teacher was mature enough and did not take the confrontation in negative way but he accpeted that the problem could have been explained in a shorter way, as I had explained.

The second experience is with my senior colleague in office I used to work. Here I had confronted him with his quality of work and the lack of update of latest developments in our filed of work, on his part. This had actually turned him against me and he started to tell wrong or false information to other colleagues and even stopped talking to me except for official works.

The lessons that I learnt were:
    1. Never confront any of your superior unless and until you have full knowledge about the thing you are talking about.
    2. Always have full confidence and also be prepared to face the consequences as all the person are not of the same temperament.
    3. Try to confront/correct anyone in the most polite way possible.
    4. Since, not everybody is equally mature, so many will turn against you, so be prepared to make some relations sour in professional field or play democratically.
    5. Many times experience triumphs over knowledge, so if a senior doesn't take your advice or suggestion seriously no matter how genuine it may be, don't let that impact you or take it personally.

There is no denying that our seniors have faced more challenges and taken more decisions than us so, it is in our best interest to share our opinion and utilize their experience & knowledge to get the best out of any situation.

Live before you leave.

It depends upon the situation and the way in which question is asked. If we are asking a question intentionally to test the speaker and show to other people that we know more than him then it is in a bad taste and make our reputation down rather than harming the speaker. But yes, if we are asking to learn from him something that is not clear to us then our tone and manners would convey him this and instead of feeling offended he would either explain or modestly say that he would come back on that later. So speakers make out the intention of the person asking question very easily. I have attended some conferences where the person who was asking intentional deep questions was ridiculed by the crowd.
    Knowledge is power.

Often, when we ask a question from a more knowledgeable person, sometimes people misunderstand it by knowing that we are asking questions to measure them and they may even start to understand it as their own insult because they are more senior than us. Knowledge. Often every person feels that he could not ask the question properly. Many people do not know how to properly communicate their questions or questions to their subordinates, colleagues or senior people. Many times a situation arises that you feel very uncomfortable due to this problem. We need to focus on our question. Because of this, one may have to feel uncomfortable in front of his subordinates, so there is a need to change the way of asking questions as a skill.
    Swati Sharma

Keep your Face to the SunShine

• Sign In to post your comments