You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

Why jokes from members get deleted?

Dear ISC,
    Mr. Pattabhi had been posting jokes to relax for many years. Recently, when he posted a thread with few jokes, it was deleted after one response. Why? May we know the reasons for its deletion?
    Is ISC against entertainment? Really wondering about ISC's present attitude.

Is there any change in the ISC policy? If yes, let the section 'Entertainment' be removed from ISC.
    It is going to be a day after posting this thread. No editor has noticed this thread and responded. Why?

Also, my post on astrology and my wishes and prayers to God on behalf of ISCian and for ISCia has also been deleted. Why? Are jokes and wishes harmful to any individual or the ISC?
    Such a deletion discourages members' participation at ISC.

Jokes and wishes are not liked by ISC in a chat-like Forum section. Why a sudden change in ISC policy?

No life without Sun

I second with the author that jokes also farms part of our site and we also need some break to enjoy and laugh and Pattabhi has been regularly contributing few jokes many a time. Such jokes should be retailed for few days at least for the members to see, ready and enjoy and even respond.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

If there is a policy change for forum posts, let ISC revive the policy and place it here as a new thread under the title - "New forum posting policy and guidelines".

First let us know whether Jokes and Astrology are fit for Forum posting.

No life without Sun

Generally. the post giving jokes by the member is not getting deleted. It got deleted this time means there may be a reason. The Editor might have mentioned that reason at least as a response to this thread. But nobody has given any reason here.
    If there is any change in the policy somebody might have mentioned that somewhere in this section. But nothing that sort is also seen. That means there is bo policy change. It will be better if the reasons for deletions are mentioned.

drrao
    always confident

If the jokes had no reason to get deleted, and if it was done by mistake, the concerned editor should apologize and put back the joke thread into the forums. That would be the ideal action. Else explain the reason for deletion.

The joke thread was locked, deleted and contents hijacked. Not available to have a look at the jokes shared by Pattabhi, a member famous for Joke threads.

@ The Managing editor was present here at 1914 hrs to announce the paper winners. Did she not notice this thread lying idle without any editor's response?

No life without Sun

Jokes are also supposed to follow the posting guidelines. We have been allowing Ramachandran Pattabiraman's jokes off and on just to encourage him but he is not at all receptive to our suggestions and hence we do not allow it as a rule.
    Jokes, by any member, if they are original and are not copied from anywhere and is within the limits of our guidelines, will certainly be allowed subject to the terms mentioned above. I don't feel that the matter needs to be explained any further.
    Sun, it was amusing to note that you have come up with his point when even the author himself did not even bother to post a response here. That's good.
    Another thing I would like to remind you once again is that it is not necessary for an editor to respond to all the queries. We may overlook the same if some other member has provided a convincing answer or at times when it appears irrelevant or old wine in a new bottle.

“It is better to change an opinion than to persist in the wrong one." – Socrates

Saji sir,

I want a clarification regarding my post deletion too. It was regarding California wild fire. I too thought there is some policy change in ISC forum section. Since I visit ISC forum after a long time, I am not sure why it has happened. It was not a copy pasted one for sure.

If I get a proper reason, I will make necessary changes in my post, else I will consider the advise for my future posts.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

This is my forum post link
    California wild fire

If the reason for deletion is the violation of forum policy, then please let me know the specific reason. It would be helpful for my future posts.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

Malini, your thread was primarily rejected because it is just a piece of information and is like a news report. You have not brought in any points for discussion there. Forum is a platform for discussing points. But I must say that your content was well presented. So keep writing. Let me check whether your post can be replaced after some edits.
    “It is better to change an opinion than to persist in the wrong one." – Socrates

Sun at #709938, please refer the sub-heading 'What topics can I post on' in this Guideline thread. And I remember our ME conveying this point about your predictions earlier too. We are not here to propagate superstitions.

Thank you for your clarification sir.
    Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

Mr. Saji,
    If the jokes were copied or duplicated or like old wine in a new bottle, you could have made a simple response stating the reason and got it deleted. But you locked, deleted and hijacked the information. Members would have read the jokes and enjoyed, and not responded with a comment.

Deletion should have a reason that should be available to the author and other members. It is too much and discouraging. Not expected from ISC.

No life without Sun

Sun, please read my response at #709981.

Saji,
    We say ISC is a transparent site. But it is not the transparency in ISC, but and adamancy of the editors not willing to explain what went wrong with the thread. It is not a smooth going attitude of ISC. It is a blind action that discourages the members to contribute further. What else can be said more than this?

I will not hesitate to say this - Because of the indifferent attitude of the editors, many good intelligent members of this site have left ISC. A change in attitude is a need.

No life without Sun

I am really sorry for interrupting in your discussion. But if I post this somewhere else, then it would be confusing for other members at ISC.

Thank you Saji sir for bringing back my post alive as mentioned in 709985.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

I really wonder why this thread is not locked but allowed to respond. Generally, such controversial threads used to be locked by the editor.

Can the editor explain the jokes of the author whether they are copied or duplicated? if yes. Can he quote the source from where the jokes were copied by the author?

I expect the editor not to say 'Editors are not required to quote the reason or give any explnation'. I hope he will respond to my request positively.

No life without Sun

Thank you all my friends for defending me. At the same time, I wish to state that I am not attaching a copied content of jokes but I send them by typing after reading from various books of different languages. I do this only with the intention of sharing the entertainment I enjoyed on reading them.

Ramu,
    I really appreciate your good efforts. A copied content is one that is posted as it is. If we are translating something from a different language is a original content of that language. ISC failed to understand this concept.

'Ramu posted a joke at ISC' is different than ' At ISC, a joke was posted by Ramu.'

My humble request to ISC is - For heaven's sake, don't lock or delete the threads unless proved copied or duplicated from the English language exactly without any change.

Kindly allow the ISCian to have the liberty and freedom to post and enjoy jokes, at least.

No life without Sun

Two simple queries:
    1. Did the editor at any time state that the thread was deleted because the jokes were copied? Read response #709981 very carefully and understand.

2. Did the author of the deleted thread, this thread or any of the responders here bother to look at the deleted thread?

The editor does not give a reason, you complain.

The editor gives a reason, you complain.

An editor does not respond, you complain.

An editor responds, you complain.

We lock a thread, you complain.

We don't lock a thread, you complain.

Who is creating the real controversy!!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.