You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

We are duped by hiding the details in fineprints. MBps and mbps is not small and capital letters.

Few days ago I had posted a thread wherein I had discussed about the T&Cs which we rarely read and accept. Many members felt that its okay to accept them as it is because they are just in favour of the seller and some details for the consumers. One of the marketing funda which I came to know recently about broadband service by ISPs is what I wanted to discuss. ISPs usually promote their plans by pr0moting that we will get blazing fast internet speed if we opt for 100 mbps speed plan or 200 mbps or more and so on. Also the speed will be measured including downloading, uploading and data packet lost in transmission.

When we look at 100 mbps or 200 mbps speed we feel that it will be great speed but in reality we never read the fine print and there is the catch. We never noticed that how loosely we read 'mbps' and 'MBPS'

'mbps' is mega bits per seconds and 'MBPS' is Mega bytes per second. Now 1 byte = 8 bit, thereby the speed we are offered is always 8 times lower than the one we see i.e. 100 mbps or 200 mbps. For a 100 mbps plan, the download speed will be around 8-10 MB per second and so on as the speed is measured in terms of uploading, downloading and data packet loss combined.

Those who are technical will be aware of it but, most of us are not and get really impressed when we see such plans and shell a bomb to buy such plans.

For us mbps and MBPS was just small letter and capital letters but the difference is 8 times the speed of internet. Members having more details or clarity can share their views.
    Mbps stands for Megabits per second. MBps stands Megabytes per second.
    These two terms are similar, Mbps is used to specify Internet connection speeds,
    MBps is used to specify how much of a file is downloaded/uploaded per second.
    I know the connection speeds will be always in Mbps only not in MBps.
    The internet service provider will always say Mbps only and we should not take this as MBps.
    For basic internet usage like sending emails or growing the web 0.5 to 3 Mbps is sufficient. For a moderate usage like downloading SD video or mp3 video, we may require 6 to 18 Mbps. If we want to connect numerous devices at once we may require an internet with a speed of 25+Mbps.
    MBPS is the speed at which the file downloading will take place.

drrao
    always confident

For the people who are not aware of the internet speed would certainly fall prey for these kinds of manipulations and that is the reason being so we must hire the reputed internet provider no matter we are charged little extra . I am having the air tel hotspot which caters to the internet requirement of our four members of the house and the speed is very good. We are not concerned about the speed but the internet should not be interrupted or stopped. So far no issues were faced and it is working even during the heavy rains and worst climate. Whereas the internet through wire is always confronted with the weather problems and whenever strong winds happens, the wires gets snapped and for the company like ACT they take 48 hours to attend the complaint and thus I opted for the Air tel hot spot which is good and affordable.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A little bit of clarification regarding Mbps and MBps. M stands for mega and in both of these abbreviated terms, it is in uppercase, for ps, it is per second and that is in lowercase in both the abbreviated terms. The only difference is in the letter B. When it is in the lowercase it denotes bits and when it is in uppercase it denotes bytes. Till now, I have never seen an ISP advertising their connection speed in MBps and they advertise with the usual way of Mbps which is Megabits per second which is the unit to specify the speed of the internet connection in terms of upload and downloads. This is different when it comes to upload and download files. In that case, it is referred to as the rate of data transfer. The size of any file is measured in Megabyte, MB, and the transfer rate indicates how much MB is uploaded or downloaded per second. That's why when a file is transferred it is mentioned in MBps as the rate of transfer of the file.

In the title of the thread, I think it will be Mbps and not MBPS.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

• Sign In to post your comments