You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

Oh ISC! Find a device to lock all the threads older than 10 days automatically.

Dear ISC,
    ISC's forum index is filled with locked threads from top to bottom with newbies or spammers pulling up threads older than 10 days. One cannot step into the Forum section.

In the past, I had been reiterating that ISC should lock the old threads to avoid members pulling up threads.

Oh ISC! do something. It is an Emergency.
    I think the first page of the index is full of locked old threads only on Saturday and Sunday that has become the second page. Today the locked old threads might have gone to the third page. Intentionally somebody has pulled all these old threads and created this problem. Editors promptly locked them. Otherwise, we might have last a lot of time without seeing the date of the thread.
    It will be good if there is any system to lock the threads which are more than 10days old. But the feasibility of the same is to be seen. The webmaster may be working on various options. Let us hope something will happen on this front.

drrao
    always confident

Since yesterday it was happening and I thought the online editors would fix the problems but the spammer is pulling all the old threads and giving illegal contents in it. This is high time our webmaster Tony should devise ways and means to delete the threads that are not syncing with our educational or general information or views. It seems the spammer has bent upon pulling selective threads and append his comments so that it gets highlighted in the internet and his high handedness must be stopped as we have to seen each and every thread before appending our responses for the same.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Oh mt God. this spammer also been awarded the badge for his spamming our forum. Webmaster should delete the account immediately and have tow on his IP address.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

You mean the member who's been placing posts about organ donor. That's a spam alright. Why are editors not banning this member??

It seems to be over now and things are back to normal. Sometimes spammers would do havoc in the site and the site administrators will have to place some anti virus or software protection walls to protect the system or server. That is a complicated thing and requires help from professionals. The hackers, spammers, and other evil elements are all well aware of the computer systems and it takes time and techniques to remove them from the site and its peripheries. Let us hope that the site administrators have already taken care to that extent. Smooth functioning of the site is important for all of us.
    Knowledge is power.

Appropriate action, including banning of members and blocking certain keywords, is being taken by the Admin as and when there is a spam attack. As has been rightly observed by Umesh, spammers sometimes create havoc and they do so at such times when the site administrators may not notice.

Regarding automatic locking of threads, I don't think it would be possible considering active threads, including GDs and other contest threads, that has to be kept open for the members.

While it is agreed that our endeavour should be to lock threads that are older than ten days and are inactive, I don't see any reason to get panicky. If the opening page of the index is full of locked threads, I fail to understand why a member should find it difficult to go to the second page or even to the third which is just a click away.

Will keep this thread open for the author to post his response and then lock it as required.

“The door to wisdom is knowing yourself." Anonymous

Dear Editor,
    I do not think any active GD goes beyond 10 days. Also there are only a few threads that are required to be kept open for a long. If that is the case, all threads older than 10 days can be locked, and the required threads can be opened and kept for an extended period. Everything is possible if there is a willingness to do it. Technology is advanced.

It is not hard to look into second or third or fourth page, but Forum looks awkward with locked threads in the first page.

No life without Sun

Sun, without going into more details, let me conclude that an automated locking system is not practical. Let us not get perturbed by off and on intrusions which can't be helped. And finally, looks don't matter as long as our intentions are clear. If the first page has nothing for you, go to the second or third or even further. Look for threads that have been posted within ten days and have not received the required attention and post a sensible response there. That should be our aim. By bringing up good threads, the locked threads or spam threads will automatically go down the pages thus giving you a good looking opening page of the index. And yes, efforts will be made, from the editor's side to lock old threads.

On that note, I am locking this thread. No more, no less.

Please note that fresh threads or responses on this point will not be encouraged.

“The door to wisdom is knowing yourself." Anonymous

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.