You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Rao Sir, here is the answer....

Very recently, Rao Sir, a highly respected Member of this website had responded to my thread about our feeling helpless about the condition of those who are, unfortunately, not as lucky as we are. They are quite poor. So, what do we do?

I did discuss this with a couple of friends. They do agree that small drops make an ocean. But doing something ambitious, does not help at all. Here is what seems to be emerging as a possible idea. For implementation.

The logic is simple. Let us work together by talking to like minded residents and some rich people (including merchants) for doing something to just two or three families. Call it "Society for VoluntarySocial Action (SVCA). Let this be a registered society, under law. Let us pool cash through donations and in kind as well. For example, if there is a slum, let us start a dialogue with just one of the poorest families. If the bread winner is dead and the widow is untrained, the next logical step is to train her in some skill like tailoring or basket weaving and so on. Let she not only be supported with the sewing machine, but also let us talk to some gated community members to support her in terms of business. For example, let the women get all their blouses stitched only through this woman. One family, some support. Some real action.

The managing trustee members should not touch a pie of the corpus for their needs. If I need to take an Ola taxi, let me do it at my expense. If it means that some donar some twenty kilometers away wants to donate, I meet him at my expense. The accounts shall be audited and everything should be transparent. All records should be maintained. The scope can be expanded to planting of trees, free education of poor children of chosen families, free tuition with interested senior citizens and so on. When things start to happen, let the momentum pick up. Everything should be done through voluntary help. In Chennai, volunteers ( many IT professionals included) involved themselves in deeping of ponds.

Rao Sir and others, what do you think about this proposal?
    Easy to dream, think and announce, but very difficult to perform action. It is the duty of our government to take care of the poor. You should suggest something to the government for the betterment and uplifting of the poor avoiding any middlemen or agents interference. If there are very selfless, generous, sincere and dedicated government servants, and politicians we can come out of poverty.
    No life without Sun

The proposal appears to be good. But the problem is the area of operation appears to be very wide. Already many of us are doing something similar to this. My elder daughter in law is an active member of an NGO. She works on her own in that NGO. She arranges donors for some patients and also people go and write examination as an attendant to blind students. Occasionally, I also donate to some NGOs where they help to the needy. What you proposed also similar to that. We can plan it. But a lot of work will be involved. So somebody who can spare time should be involved. If somebody does the initial work of registering the society and all that, then we can donate or get donations. I have no problem to work without taking any compensation from society. I have no problem to bear the expenses of my travel etc., within my city to collect the funds. These days we need not go round to get the donations. We have phones. emails and WhatsApp etc. Only thing is that selecting the correct beneficiaries is a big challenge. Many fake requests may come. We should be able to verify the correctness and then only we can go forward.
    Let us wait for the opinions of other members.

drrao
    always confident

My appreciation and best wishes to the author and Dr Rao for teaming up to start a new initiative to help the poor and the organization name thus arrived at is also good. Get into action.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan, you can also join if you are interested. This is the idea given by Sivakumar and he asked the opinions of other people also. A long way to go. This can't be done by 2 or 3 people. Help from more people is required and there should be many active members. So you can give your opinion on the proposal. I have given my idea in my reply. The same way you can also give some good ideas.
    drrao
    always confident

In Hyderabad seeking donations is not that easy as during this pandemic time many started donations and traders are vexed when we ask further cooperation. So if the organization is new then there would be recognition problem and the local leaders has to be involved and in that case the work would be not satisfactory. Therefore all these hick ups would be there initially and once the people start believing the work can get on. At present people are giving donations to Akshaya Patra and ISKCON and that should be the level of any NGO to whom the people believe and given donations.
    K Mohan @ Moga

The idea to work for the upliftment of the poor is not only good but it is appreciating if anyone does it. India, where most people are poor and live a miserable life due to poverty, need swift and appropriate action to help the needy families.
    I appreciate any such idea that inspires others to come forward and help the needy and miserable. ABSivakumar is right for the idea to help needy people. I think we should always be ready to help poor people as per our capacity and donate to some legal organisation as well for the betterment of needy families.
    However, if there is no voluntary organisation present, contributing to bread and butter for the poor should still be a priority. The least we can do is to look around in the close vicinity and contribute in whatever way one can to enrich the lives of poor people with some hope and positivity.

India is not a small country with very less poor to care. India is second large populated country with 2/3 of the population living below poverty line. Just by helping a few poor won't do any good. Each and every village, town and city should have broad minded people to help the poor. As long as corruption exists, the poor can not be made comfortable. There are many corrupt NGOs who collect and eat away the funds.
    No life without Sun

What Sun said is right. When we enter the market with new name and seeking donation, that would be seen with soar eyes and the doubts would be much to convince them and at the most we can try donation from our known people and that would be meager and not rewarding to our task. And the big philanthropists are already doing their cause through one way or the other and they will not care new organization surging to help others as there is no past record of helping the poor. In this situation one has to take the help of existing organization and align with them for the cause for that we have to agree.
    K Mohan @ Moga

If every two persons help another two persons, many poor people will get benefitted. If we have the capacity of helping more also is possible. Helping in the sense not that giving free food or house etc. We should help them and show them a way to help. In that way, if we help the poor to acquire some skills, using those skills they can earn and take care of their family. If there is a qualified man is there and if you show a place to perform and get a salary, that will be a very good help for him. Somebody wants to go for ITI and they don't have money we can help him by giv9ng some money for paying the fees etc. he will get the certificate and get a job. That we should think.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments