You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Usage of 'thou', 'thine' and 'thee'

I want to understand the usage and implementation of pronouns 'thou', 'thine', 'thy', 'ye' and 'thee'. Please provide suitable examples for better understanding.
    It is a Bible language representing the words you, your and yours. Our dear ISC Christian friends who read the Bible should be able to explain them in detail with examples.
    No life without Sun

No SuN it is not biblical language. These words were used in ancient versions of English. The reason why you find them in Bible is because Bible was translated from it's orignal language that is Aramic and hebrew during the time when this version of English was used. It had many latin words too. Infact much of the terminology in medicine is derived from this ancient version of English and latin.

Thou means you, thee means you in a collective sense thine is a more superlative degree of thou. Ye also means you but in a more individual sense. Also these words are still used in poems. Infact I use these words to create a kind of superlative impact on the reader.

Since I am not English, I don't understand the words Thy, Thou, Thine & Ye. However, from my childhood I know only one word among the above words. That is - Thy. I always say "O My lord! Thy Kingdom come"
    No life without Sun

Thou is a pronoun. This will be used generally for a person whom you are addressing. Friends will be using this to address each other especially among themselves.
    Thee is also a pronoun, It is a dialect form of you. It is the singular object of a verb or preposition.
    Thine is also a pronoun and means yours. The thing or things belonging to or associated with thee.
    Thy is a determiner. Yours means to belong to you. similarly, thy means to belong to thou. It is also a pronoun.
    ye is the plural form of thou. When we are addressing more than one person we can use Ye in place of you or thou. This is also a pronoun.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments