You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

God created man, and man created God.

Members,
    God created the live creatures on this earth, and man created lifeless Gods on this earth.

The man who created God on stones and images using materials has never seen God, but created with his imagination and creative mind for idol worship.

Did God leave his image or photo somewhere for the human beings to create? Many religions have created their own Gods with their imaginations.

In reality, God has no image. He is an invisible lord who is omnipresent and omnipotent.

What is your thinking about God and the images/idols we worship in life.
    I think there is no relation between the idols of God with the God Himself. The reason is very simple that it is the imagination of people and different societies perceived Him in different shapes and forms. When the ancients had a feeling in their mind that there is definitely some supreme power in this universe which has not only created it but has a full control over it, then they visualised it in form of God and then it was up to the ancients in which form they wanted to see him when they want to worship and pray him in His physical absence. The biggest thing in this matter is faith and belief and whatever image is made under that faith it remains in the mind of people for generations altogether. There is one thing in this world which is very difficult to analyse and understand and that is the belief and faith of human beings under which they pass their whole life without a tinge of doubt in its rudiments.
    Knowledge is power.

God has created the entire universe. He is one and only one. There is no unto Him. He is Omnipresent, He is Omnipotent. He has no images nor any structure. He created human and envisioned him with mind and heart to reflect and ponder upon the creation of the world by God so you understand His power. Whatever man does on earth or innovates and discover is all due to the intelligence bestowed upon humanity by Almighty God. A man can't create anything without the help of God. There is no idol worship.
    This verse further clarifies about God :

112:1 Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,
    112:2 Allah, the Eternal Refuge.
    112:3 He neither begets nor is born
    112:4 Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

(Al-Quran)

Different religions, dogmas, concepts, creed are accepted and followed in the world. Concerning Creator of all universes/worlds, all living and non living objects we have two concepts i.e. Monotheism and rest all others like polytheism, paganism, anthropomorphism etc

Following are some references:

The opening verse of the Guru Granth Sahib, known as the Mool Mantra signifies this:

Ik sakgr sat ngm karatg purakh nirabha'u niravair akgl murat ajuni saibha gur prasgd.
    " One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace"

"Chant, and meditate on the One God, who permeates and pervades the many beings of the whole Universe. God created it, and God spreads through it everywhere. Everywhere I look, I see God. The Perfect Lord is perfectly pervading and permeating the water, the land and the sky; there is no place without Him." (SGGS 782)

Guru Arjan, Nanak V, says, "God is beyond colour and form, yet His presence is clearly visible" (SGGS 74), and again, "Nanak's Lord transcends the world as well as the scriptures of the east and the west, and yet he is clearly manifest .

Says Guru Nanak, "budhi pathi na paiai bahu chaturaiai bhai milai mani bhane" which translates to "He is not accessible through intellect, or through mere scholarship or cleverness at argument; He is met, when He pleases, through devotion" (SGGS 436).

Bhagavat Gita 7-[19-21]: All those who do idol worship, All those who worship demigods are materialistic people.

Bhagavad Gita 7:20: Those whose intelligence has been stolen by material desires surrender unto demigods and follow the particular rules and regulations of worship according to their own natures.

Bhagavat Gita 7-22: Endowed with such a faith, he endeavors to worship a particular demigod and obtains his desires. But in actuality these benefits are bestowed by Me alone.

Bhagavat Gita 7-23: Men of small intelligence worship the demigods, and their fruits are limited and temporary. Those who worship the demigods go to the planets of the demigods, but My devotees ultimately reach My supreme planet.

Bhagavat Gita 7-24: The ignorant believe that un-manifest Para Brahma (One God) incarnates or takes manifestations, because they do not completely understand My highest, immutable, incomparable, and transcendental existence.

Yajur Veda 3:32: Of that God you cannot make any images.

Yajur Veda 32:3: na tasya pratima asti
    There is no image of Him.
    God is formless and bodiless

Yajur Veda 40:8: shudhama poapvidham
    He is bodyless and pure.
    All those who worship the uncreated things, they are in darkness, and you'll enter more into darkness if you worship the created things.

Yajur Veda 40:9: andhatama pravishanti ye asambhuti mupaste
    They enter darkness, those who worship the natural elements (Air, Water, Fire, etc.) They sink deeper in darkness, those who worship sambhuti. (Sambhuti means created things.)

Rig Veda, Vol.6,45:16: There is only One God, worship Him.

Rig Veda, Vol.8,1:1: All Praise are to Him alone

Chandogya Upanishad 6:2:1: ekam evadvitiyam
    He is One only without a second.

Svetasvatara Upanishad 4:19: na tasya pratima asti
    There is no likeness of Him.

Svetasvatara Upanishad 4:20: na samdrse tisthati rupam asya, na caksusa pasyati kas canainam.
    His form is not to be seen; no one sees Him with the eye.

Svetasvatara Upanishad 6:9: na casya kascij janita na cadhipah.
    Of Him there are neither parents nor lord.

Isaiah 44:6
    Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

Deuteronomy 4:35
    To you it was shown, that you might know that the Lord is God; there is no other besides him.

Isaiah 43:10
    "You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.

Deuteronomy 6:4
    "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Isaiah 45:5
    I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me,

Mark 12:29
    Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Psalm 86:10
    For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God.

Psalm 83:18
    That they may know that you alone, whose name is the Lord, are the Most High over all the earth.

The Hindus pray the God through idol worship, the Christians pray through the statue worship and the Muslims pray through the Quran worship. Why we created idols because it is the remembrance to the making as to there are so many Gods and one should not get confused about which God he is praying for. And you take the mentions of Alwars in puranas the looks and postures of the Gods are mentioned and taking a cue from it the modern sculptures made the God idols to resemble what it was mentioned in the puranas. For example how the Vishnu God looks like has been clearly mentioned and how Lord Ram would portray has been well mentioned. Likewise even the Goddess looks has been described and that is why Tamil Nadu takes the credit of making some wonderful God and Goddess idols through which we bow our heads.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Members are requested to discuss the point raised in this thread with due seriousness and come up with valid and relevant points only. While you are free to bring up points as per your personal opinion and views, please ensure that you do not hurt the religious sentiments of anyone and also that you substantiate your views.

No one needs to take the views expressed by members as a person. We are having a general discussion.

'Knowledge is knowing what to say. Wisdom is knowing when to say it.' -Anonymous

Who created the universe is an unsolved mystery, it is a big question that is difficult to answer in a proper way, but then I believe that God created man and not man created God. However, there is no direct evidence that any such power exists. Man does devotion and makes God even in stone. He is a human being, but without the grace of God, this cannot be possible. God created man, God made us play in the same world, we are all human beings. Every living being, whatever it may be, of any condition, inanimate or alive, here or there, in or out, up or down, simple or difficult, everything is God in every word. It is a creation made by itself.
    Swati Sharma

Keep your Face to the SunShine

If the search is for a physical evidence, then no you will not find a physical material evidence of what is called as God anywhere. It is not only not possible but rather illogical to find physical evidence of the object that is called God. However if you were to broaden the criteria of what an object means and remove the physical dimension from it. God as a meta system an absolute meta entity becomes possible. Regarding wether man created God or God creates man. This statement seems difficult to prove on the ousted. But on a closer look we find that it is not the case. God as a meta entity is not constrained to logical formalism and hence it's degree of freedom is greater than the logically constrained human. Thus the statement God creates man is to be held as closer to being true than the statement that man creates God.

God is one but different religions and societies have their own ways of praying him and we have to respect all the ways equally because they lead to same supreme power. It is foolish to say that one way is better than other because the objective, aim, and goal is same. The people who consider all the religions as equal and respect them are the true humans and God would only like such people and bless them. All religions preach this thing only but some of us interpret it wrongly to get misled in our lives. Understanding religion requires a logical and analytical mind and not a biased and prejudiced one. The main use of praying God is for the peace, calm, and eternal bliss.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

God is omnipresent and omnipotent. This is true. God is not having any defined shape or size. God is everywhere. God will not be there separately. God is in you. This is what Advaita says.
    Everyone believes that there is no defined shape for God. But when we have to pray God with focus and concentration unless otherwise, we have an object in our front. Keeping this in mind various shapes and names were created and started worshipping them. But a person who deeply gets involved in praying God will forget the shape of God and pray him. That is the best way of worshipping. This is known as Niraakara worship. When we reach that level is the biggest question. Even when we sit before the idol of a God we are not able to concentrate on our prayers. Whatever may be the shape you give or whatever may be the name you give as long as you concentrate and pray God, He will be there to protect you. This confidence we should keep in our minds throughout our life.
    There are many lakes, ponds and rivers but finally, all the waters will go and mix in an Ocean only. Same way whatever name you call him, the prayers will reach HIM as long as you are true to your prayers.

drrao
    always confident

If the God has no image as per some sects, then why should they have the structure and feel that something present in it. Those who follow the Sun has the compulsion to believe that God is there and it has many avatars as per mythology and we pray as per our wish. And those who follow the moon does not feel that there is a image or idol as such and they say God is one and nobody else. And there are those who follow the fire and they have their own apprehension and regards for their own sect. So if we start differentiating between the religions and the Gods being followed then the discussions would take different level of if's and but's.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,
    God is omnipresent and omnipotent. He is in Sun, Moon and all the Grahas. He is fire, air and water. He is present in a pillar and in a stick. God is in any image that we think and see.

God has created religion too. God never wanted all to think about one God and worship. Without religion, there won't be any fun in our life. God is one with different branches, for ease and convenience for people to think and worship.

God plays the game.

No life without Sun

It is said that paths might be different but the destination is same. That is very true in the context of the God. So right from the evolution of the intelligent humans on this planet, many groups were formed and lived in habitable places across the accessible parts of the world. But they lived in isolation because there was no way to communicate. At most one group could go to other and fought and whoever won took the property of other. So, this was the only connection that those tribes had. Either kill others or get killed. What that long isolation did was the birth of so many parallel ideologies which later became the guiding forces for different cultures their way of life and their religion. So they started from the same primitive people but ended in a set of different tribes and societies. That was avery unfortunate part as different sects and societies instead of loving each other started to fight in between and the irony of all that conflict was that they even started to hate each other's Gods. It was in a very bad taste and unpardonable but the ways of human confrontations are like that only. They do not follow any logic or rule and only rule is to take others under oneself. So fight is for material and land and they bring the name of religion in between to create confusion only.
    Knowledge is power.

This is explained in a very easy comprehensible and practical way by the Tamil writer-Lyricist late Kanndaasan.
    He said that God will exist as far as the two main things - birth and death- remained a mystery and man cannot predict the exact time of birth or death. Once these two things come to the control of man then there is no necessity of God for him.
    At a very basic level I believe that man has created God in his own image and imagination. That is why if we visit the worship places in our own country at different places, the idols are different.
    Even for an atom which can be now seen by a high efficiency microscope (or some such instruments), we have created a model to enable its study and comprehension. Similarly for a concept like God whom no one existing now has seen, we have to create some form, for our own comfort and comprehension.
    As far as there exist many things beyond the comprehension and control of human beings, the concept of God will continue to exist. And there will be more new uncontrollable things emerging after humans control some existing things -is super-evident from the current pandemic.

I would add one more quote to what Arafatuzzafar#713226; as mentioned.

"Ekam sat Vipra Bahudha Vadanti", ( Rigveda 1.164.46; and the Upnishads.)
    It literally means "Truth is one, the wise perceive it and describe it differently" . Or it can also mean that God is one, but the learned or the enlightened or the wise experienced people understand and address Him or call him by different names .

God created man is correct. And man created God is not correct but man realized God through his experience. God is giving many things to us as an asset. Our whole body is an asset given by God. When a kidney failure find in a person, their kith and kin are about to spend more money, that is in lac, for replacing the kidney to him. By seeing or hearing such situation we should appraise the God and convey our thanks by praising him through our prayers and rituals for giving invaluable two kidneys to us.
    One traveler on his way, lied under a tree for rest. He saw above him some tiny fruits are in the tree and also he saw big pumpkins in a creeper near him. He thought himself,'What a foolish God, he made big pumpkin in thin creeper but small fruits in big tree'. By thinking like this he slept. But suddenly he got up with shock as a small fruit fell on his forehead and got small pain. Then he told himself,'Oh God! you are really Great. If the tree has big fruits as I told earlier what would be my position?'.
    We should realize God in us.

• Sign In to post your comments