You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Memories of my experience in our college club ‘Book Club’

I did my under graduation in Pithapuram Raja Govt College,Kakinada, E.G.Dt. Andhra Pradesh. My Second language in degree was Telugu and our lecturer used to take a very good interest in various activities involving students. He encouraged us to start Book Club. I and other classmates started the same and many members joined. The club ran under the guidance of the Telugu Lecturer. The joining fee was kept very low. The money collected was used for purchasing books.

Our college was having a very good library. There were many books in the library. These books were related to academics, technology journals, newspaper and aptitude.

So, in the Book Club novels, politics and entertaining books were kept. These books will not only refresh our minds but also enhance communication skills.

We used to purchase second-hand books so that more books can be purchased. Our lecturer discussed with the principal and got some matching grant from the college. This activity started when I was in the first year and the club was active for all the three years. The members used to take the books and read and return. A special room was also allotted for this club.

During our free time, our Telugu lecturer used to come to the club. He used to participate in discussions with the club members. He taught us Telugu grammar and encouraged us to write poems in Telugu. The club committee used to decide on the books to be purchased. The Telugu lecturer used to see the list and approve the same. He used to maintain the accounts. The secretary used to maintain the register of books and he used to record issues and receipts of books. The club used to operate during lunch hour and one hour after the college hours. Non-members were also allowed to come read the books. But books were issued only to club members.

During my final year, I was made the secretary of the club. We conducted some competitions like essay writing, quiz programmes and elocution competitions and distributed prizes to the winners. We used to call some experts and arrange lecturers on various general topics of interest. During the college day celebrations of that year, our book Club was adjudged as the best club and the committee members were given gifts.

This is my entry for the contest-
    Innovative College Campus Clubs – creative writing contest
    Very good share from the author connecting to the creative writing contest and it indeed a great help to start a book club for the exclusive use of students and even outsiders. By purchasing the second hand books the club has given the cushion to many students who want to study but does not have the money to purchase the book could have used the library books to their hilt. My appreciation to college management for getting the grants to purchase books and also maintain them in separate room. Some small ideas which emanate from our minds become great actions in future to which the support would be superlative.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Interesting narration about the college book club by the author. We also had a magazine club in our school and by contributing a small amount we were getting a number of magazines for reading. My mother was very happy with the ladies magazines that we got from there time to time for reading and we usually kept them with us for 4-5 days as they were to be given to others on rotation. We had a large number of magazines right from the children magazine to ladies magazines. That time they were very precious things as there was no TV, no mobile , and no internet.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.