You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Earth Campus Club: The Environment Saviour

When I was pursuing my post-graduation in Environmental Sciences, there were some clubs in my college for Arts and Cultural activities. But my friends and I want to get involved in the activities of our interests. We had a group of six friends who wanted to do something creative in the field of Environment conservation. So we decided to start an environment club in the leadership of one of our friends Radhey Shyam and under the guidance of our Professor with the aim of cleanliness drive and maintaining the environmental quality in the campus and named it "Eco-club." We prepared a draft on the vision, mission and objectives of our club and decided to discuss and finalize it by getting feedback from learned personalities working in the field of environment. So Radhey Shyam suggested organizing an event in our department. We all forwarded this agenda and discussed it with our professor, and he suggested inviting some environmental activists, professors from universities, colleges and NGOs on upcoming Earth Day. Radhey Shyam distributed responsibilities among all of us to identify some local experts in the area and send them invites through our Professor.

On the eve of Earth Day Celebration, we arranged a programme for the inauguration of our club. The programme was started with the ribbon-cutting ceremony followed by the other events. Our club leader Radhey Shyam gave a presentation to guests and participants on the vision and objectives of our club to get their feedback following the Earth Day Celebration. After collecting all this feedback, we finalized the vision, mission and objectives of the club. One of the senior professors suggested renaming the club to distinguish it from other clubs as it was a very common name. As our club was inaugurated on Earth Day, we renamed it, "Earth Campus Club" following his suggestion. We all pledged to do our best for the club. After this ceremony, many students joined and took membership in our club.

In our club, some small but important projects and activities were carried out like pond cleaning, tree plantation etc. Besides, one of our brilliant projects was on the Environment Audit, which we ran on our campus. In the Environment Audit, we covered all the five attributes. To carry out the audit on the campus, club members were divided into five groups. One group did Water audit, the second group Air audit, third one Waste audit, the fourth group Energy audit, and the fifth group did Land audit. In the whole environment audit, our club did rainwater harvesting; monitored water consumption, waste generation and composting, a plantation on the campus.

Besides, one team monitored energy consumption and aware the students about the energy-saving measures. As ours was an activity-based club, we conducted several activities in our club. Our Environment Audit project was so much appreciated and awarded as the "Best Club" in the Annual Programme held in the college.

Later, this smaller club grew larger and many more students joined our club, and then the club also broadened its objectives and visions. Hence, we decided to work at a large-scale to take care of the earth and help the community by involving volunteers of the National Service Scheme (NSS) and still the club is doing well and undertaking many activities.

My Entry for the Innovative College Campus Clubs – creative writing contest
    A nice piece of writing by the author bringing out importance of environment and it has also highlighted the ways to preserve and maintain it. This is an excellent way to preserve nature and revamp our habitat.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

Nice. The objective of the club is very good. The need of the hour is to maintain eco equilibrium and not allowing nature to get spoiled. Conducting audits and knowing where we are and in which areas improvement is required is a good practice and this monitoring will keep us on our toes to see that we will not spoil the environment. If this awareness is created at the student level itself people will become more conscious. During my university days, I have the fortune of working with great scientists in the field of Environmental Sciences like Prof. Sivaji Rao and Prof. Bhairava Murty. We used to monitor the particulate matter in the air at very busy centres of the city.
    drrao
    always confident

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.