You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Delivering my first academic lecture in a college science club

When I was doing my post graduation in Physics we had a science club in our college. Many students were members of that club and it used to arrange lectures by the students, making science models, scientific excursions, and other related activities. I also became its member and started to particite in its activities. Being a new member, I was briefed by some senior members about the various activities and was given some alternatives to consider to take part in the coming month. One of them was to give a lecture on some scientific topic. I had never given an academic lecture so far and was a little bit apprehended about my performance. I did not commit immediately but told them that I would come back on that by the next week.

That day in evening when I went back to my rented room in a student lodge, I just went through the various topics that I had prepared well during my B.Sc. course. I found that my preparation on the topic 'gravity' appeared satisfactory. So I could very well prepare it for that lecture if I decide to take up it next month. Next day, I told to those senior members that I would be able to deliver a lecture on 'gravity'. They were happy to hear that and told me that they will inform the exact date and venue. After 2-3 days I was given a date and time and was informed that it would be held in the big lecture theatre.

On that day, I delivered my lecture and it evoked much interest and there were so many questions from the audience. Though I answered some of them satisfactorily but for some questions I had to simply say that I would find out and then only will be able to clarify. Anyway, it was a good experience and I found that these college campus clubs are very useful for the overall development of the student's personality. The experience we gained during the science club activities had helped us in our career building and in mitigating the challenges in our professional lives.

This is my entry for campus college club creative writing contest.
    There was a science club in our degree college and we used to attend lecture sessions organised by this club and they used to invite lecturers from other colleges and experts from nearby industries and they used to give lectures. Our chemistry lecturer was the chairman of the club and he used to participate in the activities of the club very actively. Science quiz programmes were being conducted and I participated in such programmes and for prizes. Such experiences will give us confidence and exposure to various people.
    The author narrated his experience with the science club in his PG college very nicely.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments