You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How to inculcate dignity of work in our youths?

Generally people are very selective for the types of jobs they are seeking. Most of us like white collar jobs using computers and online working. There are less takers for manual working job opportunities. In advanced countries due to a good match between employment opportunities and population the remuneration for manual or menial jobs is also quite satisfactory and so people do not mind working in that field till they get a better prospect elsewhere. Unfortunately, in the developing parts of the world the lowly jobs fetch so little an amount that people are discouraged to go for them even temporarily for some time. Due to this big bottleneck our unemployed people are stuck in their houses living on the earnings of their parents or family members. They do not consider the dignity of work and are not ready to go for these jobs even just to engage themselves or as an interim measure. What measures can be taken to improve this situation? Members may like to opine their valuable suggestion.
    The dignity of work or dignity of labor is the greatest traits and not everyone gives the thought on the subject. What ever work is given, that should be completed within the span of time and there should not be complaint on that count. And a dignified worker or labor is one who gets the salary before his sweat goes dry. And how to create work habit and dignity of work among the youth is always associated with their convenience and preference because youth wants the job as per their qualification and strength and would not go for just jobs or under employed. They want right employment and would make them to enjoy the job forth with and also give their fullest cooperation. But normal youth cannot be induced to go for any job of our liking and they would either sulk or go for few days and discontinue and that is the reason we see jumping jacks every where.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think we need to change our perceptions and thought process about labour. As long as we discriminate between different type of jobs, I don't think it would be possible to inculcate the dignity of labour on anyone. We still look up at certain jobs and look down on others. We consider people engaged in menial jobs as inferior and the white-collared ones as superior. People who are in high-level jobs still consider those who are in lower positions as inferior. We have knowingly or unknowingly created classes among people on the basis of the jobs they are engaged in. While we praise youngsters abroad for taking up part-time jobs, we still find it difficult to recognise or encourage our youth to take up such jobs. Instead of feeling proud that our child is doing something so as to add up to the family income or to cater for his tuition fees or maybe for his pocket money, we tend to discourage such engagements. So, until and unless we encourage youngsters to take up any job so that they do not remain unemployed and are able to earn some money and also respect all jobs equally, considering that no job is unimportant, I don't think it would be possible to inculcate the dignity of labour in our youths. That is because they are worried about their status and the respect connected with jobs more than being concerned about their livelihood. So, as the first step, we need to change the way we perceive and think.
    'Knowledge is knowing what to say. Wisdom is knowing when to say it.' -Anonymous

I think parents have a great role in this to play. If they themselves are feeling that their children should not do any menial or labour type jobs then children will also follow suit. The dignity of labour cannot be realised until one undertakes such tasks.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

In some countries, I have seen the driver who drives your car is allowed to sit by the side of you in the restaurant and allow him to eat. In India, how many of us will do that? We get into an AC hotel and give Rs.100/- to the driver to eat somewhere else. As long as this attitude is there in us it is very difficult to think of the dignity of labour. Irrespective of the work they are doing or the money they are drawing, they are also human beings. Unless otherwise, the rich start thinking in those lines we will not inculcate dignity of labour. The main problem is populations I think and another point is differences in the income levels of people.
    Another aspect is the wish of staying with comforts. An engineer never wants to work on a shop floor but he prefers an AC chamber with a Laptop. People who are working in an IT company may think that they are well than other engineers and start looking at them with a different attitude.
    But these days I am observing a change in some places. During this lockdown, even qualified persons started working in unskilled works on daily wages. I then thought if there is a necessity and a do or die situation comes we all understand the dignity of labour.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments