You must Sign In to post a response.
Want to write a story book? Well, you can write at least one chapter for our special Diwali E-Book!
  • Category: Reward Programs

2020 Diwali E-Book Contest - registrations invited

After a long gap, we're back with an e-book contest. We've had e-book in previous years for the festival of Diwali and have got some of the best creative writing entries for this occasion. So let's continue that ISC festive tradition.

Let's start with the basics for members who are new to this concept: The e-book is basically a story with members writing one chapter each. First, those who are interested must register for it, expressing his/her interest to write a chapter, in a response to this thread. Next, chapters will be assigned to you by the contest organizer (that is myself). After a certain number of chapters have come in, a new thread will be put up where you will be told what is the theme of the story and the rules, general instructions, prizes, etc. Each participant, in the order of the chapters assigned, have to submit a chapter in a respose in that thread. The chapter should be submitted within 24 hours of the previous chapter. In case a participant fails to do so, then the next participant will pick up the story.

The challenge of this story-writing e-book contest is to be able to give a flow to the story, reading carefully what went before (and not just the previous chapter), ensuring no mistakes are made in the names of the characters already put in. If you find that someboy has given a wrong name or made an error in the timeline or some incident, then you should be smart enough to be able to still continue the story, ignoring the mistakes and correcting the plot line. There may also be a few tricks and sudden instructions to create mayhem in-between!

So are you game for it? Quick! Register your name as a participant in a response to this thread. Registrations will close after maximum 20 chapters.
    I am interested to write and be a part of the Diwali e-book story contest.
    Lead the leader

I am interested to take part in the Diwali e-book story contest and want to write a Chapter.

I am also interested in participating in the Diwali e-book contest.

I am also having an interest in participating in the Diwali e-book contest.
    drrao
    always confident

Note that those who are registering here should be clear that they will be available to participate and submit their chapters within the time frame, otherwise the flow of the e-book goes haywire. I also mentioned some tricks and sudden instructions, so be prepared for a challenge thrown to you during the course of the contest. The instructions/challenges will be mentioned in both, in a response to the main contest thread, and also in a response to this thread. Hence, participants must keep track of both threads.

Sharada, Dr Deepali, and Gouranga Kumar Basistha - as the first three authors to register, you will get early bird incentives (advantages). These will be revealed later to you.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I would like to participate in the upcoming Diwali E-Book Contest. I would request the organisors to kindly provide an approximate starting date so that other members can be more clear of their availability and try to participate in the contest.
    “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz

I am interested too. Kindly consider my name.
    shampasaid

Varghese,

Since we've got at least six registered so far, we can begin tomorrow. I will announce the theme and mention the rules in the annoucement.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Me Too. Let me also contribute an e-chapter.
    No life without Sun

I am interested.
    Sanjeev

" The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

I am also interested to write a chapter of this ebook. Please include me.
    Knowledge is power.

I am also interested to write a chapter for the ebook. Please consider my name also for the same.
    Honesty is the best policy.

Right, then, with a fairly good number to start off the e-book, let's begin penning the chapters. Firstly, here's the order in which you will write the chapters and the advantages for the three early birds. Each author will also be given one word that they must include in their chapter (this is a challenge for each participant) , each word in some way related to the festival. The word need not be exactly as it is given (it can be a noun, adjective, verb form, singluar or plural, etc) and need not be literally used as it is (e.g. if the word is light, it need not be Diwali lights, but can be used, for example, with the words 'light of my life' or a word given can be used as a name of a character).

1. Sharada - you have a double advantage as the first registered participant, namely (i) you will get to write an extra 100 words more than the maximum no. mentioned in the rules; and (ii) you can use up to three of the words assigned to the other authors. Your challenge - your opening chapter should have the setting of a bookstore.
    2. Dr Dipali - your advantage is that you can opt not to use the word assigned to you and, instead, select any of the words given to the first 10 authors. Your word - sparkle.
    3. Gouranga Kumar Basistha - your advantage is that you can opt not to write the third chapter and, instead, write the last, closing chapter (with the same word assigned to you). Your word - cracker.
    [In a response to this thread, please confirm whether or not you will write the third chapter, because if you do not, then Dr Rao will be ready to write it]
    4. Dr Rao - pattern
    5. Varghese - diya
    6. Shampa - gift
    7. Sun - puja
    8. Sanjeev Gupta - wealth
    9. Umesh - savoury
    10. Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala - greeting

The contest theme and rules will be announced in a few minutes in a separate thread. Any queries related to it can be submitted in this thread itself, but nobody should put in any comments about anybody's chapter submission.

This is in response to Vandana Ma'am's last post. Ma'am, I would like to write the third chapter itself.

Alright, Gouranga Kumar Basistha, we'll keep, then, to the order of the authors mentioned.

The contest is now open: Diwali Books ebook contest. We are looking forward to some scintillating entries and announcing winners for all the prizes!

I am also interested to participate in this ebook contest by penning down a chapter.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

I am interested to participate in the contest and write a chapter in the e-book.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

@Vandana ma'am,
    Should I mention the words that I have selected for my story.

Chapter 1 - (Title)
    Word Challenge- Word1, Word2, Word3.

Is it correct, give me your suggestions.

Lead the leader

Yes, Sharada, I saw your entry just now. It is fine.

Neeru and Sankalan, thanks for expressing your interest. Your chapters and words will be assigned to you later.

I am willing to register myself for this contest.
    Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

Thank you Vandana ma'am, I was a bit unclear about the word challenge. After reading your words once again, the idea flashed.
    Lead the leader

Neeru Bhatt will write Chapter 11, Sankalan Bhattacharya Chapter 12, and Padmini Chapter 13. It would be best to curtail the e-book to 15 chapters and not 20 as originally announced, otherwise it will stretch out way too much!

The words for the three participants who registered later -
    Neeru - sweet
    Sankalan - decoration
    Padmini - glow

Vandana Ma'm,

It is to let you know that I submitted my chapter on time, but today I found three/four silly mistakes in tenses and punctuation, so corrected them. Well, I have not altered the text at all. Thought to inform you.

Thank you

shampasaid

SUN posted his chapter yesterday at 12.18. So 24 hours are over. But the next writer has not posted the chapter. Now the next author has to post the chapter before tomorrow 12.18. This is just to alert the next writer on the list.
    drrao
    always confident

Chapter 7 was concluded by me with a surprise to know. Till 1218 hrs today (after a lapse of 24 hrs), the next author in queue Sanjeev Guptato to write Chapter 8 did not turn up with his surprise and wealth . Hope to see Umesh coming up with some savoury to serve positively after breaking the surprise.
    No life without Sun

Count me in too. Hope I'm not late.

Sorry I could not write my chapter because of some issues. My elder brother is tested covid positive so all my family members had to take the test and luckily no one is positive.
    Sanjeev

" The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

Sanjeev Gupta,

It's alright. Sorry to hear about your brother testing positive and wishing him a speedy recovery. As a special case, we can allow you to write a chapter with the same word that is assigned to you after Ryyu. Let me know if you wish to do so.

The re-ordered list of authors and the ones to follow -
    8. Umesh (submitted)
    9. Hakimuddin Kuwakhedawala (submitted)
    10. Neeru Bhatt
    11. Sankalan Bhattacharya
    12. Padmini
    13. Ryyu - word assigned to you is lights

Yes I am ready to write a chapter here. Pls consider me.
    Sanjeev

– Mark Twain

Sanjeev,

That's good to know. Go ahead and write the closing chapter. Let's wrap it up! No further registrations will be taken.

Ryyu - you were supposed to submit your chapter within 24hrs. of the one submitted by Padmini. Since you did not do so, as per the instructions, your later entry is invalid. Sanjeev has closed the story and the e-book is now completed. Thanks to all who participated. Look out for a related contest.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.