You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Foreign Affairs

Kamala Harris has her root in India

Kamala Harris was born to a Jamaican father and an Indian mother Shyamala Gopalan, a leading cancer researcher and activist, who was born in Chennai before she moved to the US for further study. Harris's maternal grandfather was born in Thulasenthirapuram, located about 320 km south of the city of Chennai. Shyamala was the daughter of PV Gopalan, a high-ranking civil servant. Kamala Harris grew up in Oakland and earned an undergraduate degree from Howard University followed by a law degree from the University of California, Hastings. Harris emerged as a fierce advocate for police reform and social justice in the Senate.

55-year-old Kamala Harris made history when Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden picked her as his vice-presidential running mate. Harris is the first American of Indian and Asian descent to run for vice-president.
    California Senator Harris, if elected, would be the first woman vice president ever for the US. Harris is the first Indian-American to be elected district attorney of San Francisco, the first South Asian American to become a US senator and if elected on November 3, she will be the first person of Indian descent to hold a major political office in the United States.

Will she be hailed as a daughter of India.?
    Kamala Harris herself does not take much pride in her India connection via mother's rots. Whatever she has said may be taken as just the election time formal courtesy of not antagonising anyone. She feels more close to the nativity roots of her father.
    In her performance as VP also, I feel she may not be much favourable to India. She will have some more influence on the President Joe Biden and may even influence policy decisions. Joe Biden as such will be diplomatic in all sense and we cannot take his word. In that regard Trump was more blunt and sure.
    Especially now with Chinese provocations we would have expected a strong American support to India.
    I personally feel that Biden may not be that aggressive and adamant and would try to be goodie-goodie with India-China-Pakistan; which in effect is not going to help to India. We may have to deal situation like Kissinger's time.
    Double edged cunningness. Modi will find it embarrassing to deal with Biden as there will not be any sure and firm signals-negative or positive.
    I think India need not rejoice much with election of Biden-Kamala team. India has to be business –have my own doubts as to how much cohesive and smooth the Biden-Kamala (P-VP) team work. itself.

She may have Indian origin and India may feel that she is the first women to become VP of US as so far 48 vice presidents were there and none of them are female and she would get the honor of first women VP. But she was more anti India in her statements and speeches especially on Kashmir issue and there fore her line of towing is understood that Biden team under her wll not favor India even in future. However PM Modi would certainly make possible great hand shake with US and the new President Biden as past is past and both countries have the need to grow together. Even Biden has been saying that lets unite to make new America and like that lets unite to make new India post covid. I think the world knows capability of India and US cannot discard our relations no matter who occupies the post of Presidency.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Thanks to both of you. After reading your posts I googled to see their opinion about India. Their opinion are not good. But I hope that Our government is capable enough to deal with them .

Kamala Harris, though a daughter of an Indian mother, her blood is of Jamaican father. Also, she is married to Douglas Emhoff an American lawyer. I being a Tamil, feel proud of a Tamil mother's daughter becoming the Vice President of the United States of America. Does she know Tamil or any Indian language? Can't say. What she would do for India or for the Tamils? Can't say. Let us be happy and feel proud of her, but don't expect any favour from her. She can't do and won't do. She is a world leader to care for the US which is her motherland.
    No life without Sun

We need not be very happy to say that a lady who have some roots in India through her mother. I am making this statement after understanding that this lady is not very sympathetic towards India. So expecting any favour from her to India is futile. In a way, it is problematic also.
    But the present government will continue its efforts to see that the relations between the two countries will not suffer a setback. As a matter of fact, what type of relations the new President wants to maintain with China, is the important point. If they want to maintain a distance with China they should be close to India. I think they can't go against both these important countries in Asia.
    As mentioned by the other authors, we all should feel happy that a lady has become the US VP and she had her roots in India through her mother. More than that there may not be any other advantage.

drrao
    always confident

But the latest statement from the President elect Biden testifies that the new US government would be fair for the states in US whether red or blue and their foreign policy with many countries including India should not change much. For US it cannot discard the ongoing trade agreements or what so ever economic packages as India is not a bad partner unlike China which earned the wrath of world and US. So the new President and VP elect Kamala Harris has to change their stand for the good of America as most Indians have now voted for a change and that gratitude has to be given the respect.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

When a person takes the citizenship of a country then only for a reference purpose one can quote the country of one's origin. That is all. Now all the patriotism, nationality etc are for that country where one is residing. This is a very fundamental concept and those who are not following it, are doing a grave error of judgement. So, we can only say that she is a person of Indian origin from her mother's side and that is the maximum credit that we can take for her. She has to favour the policies of US only even if they are against India. She has her affiliations and dedications to that country only.
    Knowledge is power.

PM congratulated her: "Heartiest congratulations @KamalaHarris! Your success is pathbreaking, and a matter of immense pride not just for your chittis, but also for all Indian-Americans. I am confident that the vibrant India-US ties will get even stronger with your support and leadership"

• Sign In to post your comments