You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Cricket

Let's cheer the ladies too! - T20 Women's Challenge in UAE

With the ongoing 2020 IPL, I had completely forgotten that there was also another cricket tournament - the T20 Women's Challenge in UAE. Only when I got a WhatsApp message about it that I remembered so missed out on the first two matches and saw the one yesterday. I must say it was really, really exciting, what with runouts, smashing hits and superb bowling. Unfortunately there were only three teams, the curtailment due to the pandemic situation.

In yesterday's match my heart went out to Deandra Dottin. She jumped in the air to take a catch, the ball heading for a six, but was forced to let it go after realizing that she was too close to the boundary; then dropped an easy catch and was quietly seen later during a pause with what looked like tears in her eyes; yet again later tried to take a catch which was really tough as it was going for yet another six. I felt like jumping into the screen to hug her in empathy.

Then there as Taniya Bhatia - I waited anxioulsy when an incoming ball thrown by a fielder hit the side of her helmt and she crouched over, holding her helmeted head for a while, then adjusted it and got back behind the stumps. Thank goodness she was wearing a helmet.

It was wonderful to see the spell of bowling by the likes of Sophie Ecclestone and Shakera Selman. Then there was Harleen Deol, a veritable dynamo all over the field.

If you haven't watched the ladies play, do so tomorrow - the final is between Trailblazers and Supernovas - even the names of the teams are more interesting than the boring IPL ones.

The two teams in the finals (as taken from the Espn website) are-
    Supernovas squad: Harmanpreet Kaur (capt), Jemimah Rodrigues (vice-capt), Chamari Atapattu, Priya Punia, Anuja Patil, Radha Yadav, Taniya Bhatia (wk), Shashikala Siriwardene, Poonam Yadav, Shakera Selman, Arundhati Reddy, Pooja Vastrakar, Ayushi Soni, Ayabonga Khaka, Muskan Malik.

Trailblazers squad: Smriti Mandhana (capt), Deepti Sharma (vice-capt), Punam Raut, Richa Ghosh, D Hemalatha, Nuzhat Parween (wk), Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Harleen Deol, Jhulan Goswami, Simran Bahadur, Salma Khatun, Sophie Ecclestone, Nattakan Chantam, Deandra Dottin, Kashvee Gautam.

The third team which got eliminated was the Velocity squad: Mithali Raj (capt), Veda Krishnamurthy (vice-capt), Shafali Verma, Sushma Verma (wk), Ekta Bisht, Shikha Pandey, Devika Vaidya, Sushree Dibyadarshini, Manali Dakshini, Leigh Kasperek, Danielle Wyatt, Sune Luus, Jahanara Alam, M Anagha, Meghna Singh.

Let's cheer for these cricketers as well!
    It is good to note that T20 women's challenge is going on in UAE. This was not advertised much as compared to the IPL taking place there. Recently we were discussing in a post about women participation in sports like football where we discussed whether they should play it or not. Now it is clear that women can play any game and participate in any sports as T20 itself is a strenuous one. Anyway, that is a separate discussion and let us now see tomorrow the final match where Supernovas squad and Trailblazers squad will be fighting for the first position. It would definitely be an interesting match.
    Knowledge is power.

In the midst of on going IPL matches for men and the new excitement being unfolded we have totally forgotten the T20 women challenge game being held in UAE. Thanks for the author to bring this to the notice of the other members and now this thread would be trending equally on par with the main thread on IPL. But I would blame the organizers for arranging both Men and women tournaments at the same time as we cannot concentrate and appreciate the efforts of great players. Though we know that cricket playing was long over due and the fans were going restless due to pandemic lock down and its after math but the games should have been arranged without the clashes of dates so that appreciation and glory of players can be hailed. Hope next time this kind of mix up should not happen to confuse and deny our excitement.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

True. Because of IPL, many people not concentrated on T20 Women's Challenge in UAE. Earlier also we have T20 matches for women cricket. Those matches are no way less than T20 men cricket. There are very good players in women also and they try their best to perform well. These days women are also coming and actively playing all types of games.
    As mentioned by Mohan because of organising two big events simultaneously is really a problem. Many game lovers have to sacrifice one tournament as time is a big problem. Better planning of schedule may help us to see these matches also.

drrao
    always confident

I was not aware that women's T20 was also going on in parallel to the IPL. As other members have pointed out the timing of the same was a poor thought by the organisers but at least our women players got a good chance to play in the T20 challenge. I found that the team Trailblazers won the match by defeating Supernovas by 16 runs. Congratulations to the winning team.
    Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

In the final match, the spinners are on their top. The captain of Trailblazers, Smriti Mandhana did her job in batting and her performance is the only difference between the two teams. Her knock made her team to win the finals against Supernovas by 16 runs and made them lift the trophy in their maiden Women's T20 Challenge trophy in Sharjah on Monday. My congratulations to the winning team. Smriti Mandhana was adjudged as the Player of the Match. A good event and well-conducted
    drrao
    always confident

It had actually been scheduled early this year in India, but due to the pandemic striking, it got cancelled at that time. Even this current schedule clashing with IPL was criticized as it clashed with the Women's Big Bash League (WBBL) in Australia, which meant that most star players would not be available. Anyway, it was jolly good fun! If you missed yesterday's final, watch the highlights to see one of the best boundaries' save that I've seen - Nattakan Chatham ran at full speed, lunged at the ball as it hurtled towards the boundary, and pushed the ball back, practically landing upside down on the other side of the boundary. Jaw-dropping awesome! The cricketer from Thailand saved two runs for her team.

With a five-wicket haul in this match to take her tally to eight, Radha Yadav bagged the Player of the Series award.

It is possible that a future IPL series will be launched for women cricketers. Looking forward to it!

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.