Nothing is 100% safe theoretically.
But practically if we take prudent steps we can avoid risk to the maximum possible extent.
The card usage is protected by three-level control.
1. Physical possession of the card/Card number and name and the entry password for your device.
2. The CVV
3. The OTP coming to your mobile phone.
If all these are breached only the risk comes.
So the precautions are:
1. Keep your mobile or laptop or desktop password protected. Erase the traces of the transactions after completing the same.
2. Keying in the password. Keep your password very unique with a proper combination of alphabets, numbers, special characters and using keys from different levels in the key board. Change password periodically. Use virtual keyboard for entering password for transaction.
3. Never answer to any mail or phone enquiries about your card, CVV, OTP or PIN.
4. Never be in a hurry while doing an online transaction. Be calm and look for the 'lock' symbol on the address bar.
5. Some internet security software give protected windows for such transactions.(Example- 'Safe Money" in Kaspersky Internet Security). If so use them for such transactions.
6. After completing the transaction ensure you get confirmation of your orders in email. Also visit your account page in the website of the shopping portal and ensure the order confirmation and details are there as per your transaction.
7. In case you do not get order confirmation from the shopping portal and your money is taken from the card, you take up with the shopping portal and inform the transaction and ask for order confirmation.
8. Some shopping portals save your card details. If so, after completing the transaction, come back, log in to your account in the shopping portal, and delete the saved card details.
9. As an abundant precaution to reduce the risk, limit per day and per transaction amount to some low amount. You may even de-activate the card after usage and activate it when needed as per your needs (this varies with service providers)
10. In the case of POS transactions, never allow your card to be away from your sight, and let the swiping etc done in your presence and get the card back immediately. Ensure SMS received in your mobile for the transaction.
Install good Internet security software and keep it updated always.
If we follow these prudent precautions we can avoid maximum possible risk as per the current knowledge and situations.