You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Problems/Complaints

What is ISC's policy on locking threads?

Dear ISC,
    Yesterday 19th Nov, I raised a thread on Indira Gandhi's birthday. Dr Srinivasarao raised a thread on International Men's day.

Both are the subject of celebrating a day. A birthday and an international day.

While ISC has promptly locked my thread on Indira Gandhi's birthday, Dr. Rao's thread on International Men's day is still left open. Both the days are over yesterday. Why ISC is partial to someone?

I want to know what is the policy on locking of threads.
    I guess birthdays are time bound and once that date is gone then it's of no use to discuss on it.
    Sanjeev

" The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

I don't think it's anything to do with partiality. It could be any logical reason which certainly editor will write while clarifying your misconception.

Our editors are given sweeping powers to delete any thread which is against the earning potential of this site and thus they are rejected immediately without even assigning any valid reasons.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think your heading was the reason for locking the thread as November is to remember Iron lady Indira Gandhi. Today is her Birthday, implies that nothing happened in this month at all in the past.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Sun, it is very easy to cast aspersions but it would be nice if you could exercise some magnanimity and thoughtfulness while doing so. It is amusing to note how you had effortlessly concluded that the editors are partial. Just think why we should be partial to anyone? It may be noted for prudence and posterity that we, the editors, have no special liking for any member. Let this be etched in your mind because, if I am not mistaken, this is not the first time that you are raising such an allegation.

I am not here to justify the editors or to try and bring clarity to your thought process but would certainly like to say why your thread was locked and the other one was not. Without discarding the possibility of overlooking (quite possible), let me give you another reason. Your thread was to remember Smt Indira Gandhi on her birth anniversary and the thread would naturally lose significance once the day is over. The thread on International Men's Day had a few more details about the day and it is a topic that can be generally discussed. In such cases we generally allow such threads to remain open for one or two additional days. Otherwise, threads on special days are locked the next day unless we miss it out.

As a rejoinder, I would like to suggest members to avoid coming up with commemoration threads unless you have some details to add for discussion.

'Knowledge is knowing what to say. Wisdom is knowing when to say it.' -Anonymous

Mr. Saji,
    It was not the birthday of yours or mine. It is Indira Gandhi's birthday, a lady who cannot be forgotten in a day or two, but can be discussed 24x7. Members who were not present at ISC on her birthday could see the thread later and post their views about Indira Gandhi. I am sure, International day for men may not have that importance. The next day could be women's day or any other day. The previous day loses importance the very next day.

No life without Sun

Though not as a complaint, but more by curiosity, I also refer to this thread which got closed after three responses. It is interesting that all the three responses scored'Duck'. Mine was one in that.

I am curious why the thread was closed. I think all the respondents missed to understand the subject and hence gave invalid response. I feel that if the thread was not closed at that time and allowed to continue probably some valid responses would have come. Anyway I feel, I missed the target.

Venkiteswaran,
    There is a valid reason for locking the thread you referred. It was an old thread of 03 Nov 20 that received no response, but pulled up by Sharada on 19th November (After 16 days) to receive three responses on 19th Nov 2020.

You are wrong with your perception about the thread on Mirror.

No life without Sun

SuN, I accept your explanation per se, as per guidelines.

The thread somehow escaped attention of all. There was Diwali and other matters related thread and some contest threads. So this went down and did not come to anyone's attention. A few days deviation could have been condoned.
    Anyway I am not for any hairsplitting discussion on the matter.

Venkiteswaran,
    ISC is very firm and doesn't show any mercy or leniency with regard to threads older than 10 days. I appreciate ISC on this aspect. There is nothing like condoning such deviations. A thread is considered dead after 10 days. No one has the right to disturb the dead.

No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.