You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Engineering courses in the mother tongue - how feasible and practical is it?

Would you be ready to study an engineering course in your mother tongue? Discuss the practical aspects of doing so in this discussion.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to study engineering in your mother tongue?

The Central Government has announced that from next year, engineering courses will be started in native languages in selected IITs and NITs in the country. In the first phase, it is planning to start engineering courses in the mother tongue at IIT-Banaras Hindu University. A committee has been appointed to prepare an outline for the study of engineering in Hindi.

Is engineering study practical in the mother tongue? What is your opinion about this?
    This seems to be a good topic for an active GD, hence we will temporarily lock it and discuss with the admin.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I agree with your opinion.
    Sobha Wilson
    Lighted to Lighten

We are opening this thread for general discussion but not as an active GD and will reward good responses with enhanced points and cc after 10 days or when it gets locked, whichever is earlier.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

I don't agree with the author to have engineering studies in the regional language. When everything we have to do in English at workplace then what's the use to studying engineering in regional language. We are expected to speak in English even in the interviews then how can someone expect from the person who has studied engineering in regional language even to pass the interview.
    Sanjeev

" The two most important days in your life are the day when you are born and the day you find out why? "
    – Mark Twain

I think it is not a good idea to study technical courses in the native language. The students will be deprived of the opportunity of continuing their studies in other countries. After completing my degree in the native language, if I am interested in continuing my studies in a foreign country, in the first place they may not consider my degree valid. Even if I want to do PG in India itself, it will become very difficult for me to understand the subject. I will not have literature in the native language and we don't know what is the equivalent word in English for a word used in the native language.

I remember those days when B.Sc was started in Local Language. For namesake only it is local language medium. But all teachers used to tell in English. Books are recommended by the University were in local language and students were suffering a lot to understand the subject properly.

English is a universal language and all books and advances in the subject are being published in English only. There is no way to publish your work in the local language. I feel this is a futile exercise. Where is the acceptability for this degree in the world?

drrao
    always confident

The teaching of professional courses in the local native language is an old issue and many people who are well versed in their local language but not comfortable with the English language will welcome such measures of teaching professional courses like engineering in their favourite mother tongue. But there are some issues in this proposition which are to be understood in the very basic way in this matter. First is that each language will have a different word for an engineering term and it will not be easy for the student himself and what to talk of the general people who will be supposed to use them in that form. Today English is not a sign of slavery of Britishers in any country but it has established as the most popular and common language in the world and we cannot escape from learning it proficiently. Another aspect is that in our country, there are so many prominent languages and different students in different places will have to learn different terms and when they go for centralised services or job in a multinational company they will be supposed to talk and act in English only, irrespective of in which language medium they had done their degree course. So, practically what will happen is that though the student will study in his native language, he is supposed to know the things in English also. One thing which I can imagine right now is once the learning of engineering stream starts in the main local languages then some of the basic common terms used in engineering in English will be adopted by all the local languages and at least up to that level there will be no distinction whether the student studies in local language or English.
    Knowledge is power.

It is better to study the subjects in the mother tongue itself. In particular, technical topics that require in-depth understanding. Knowledge is important - not the language. Language learning and subject learning are two different things. Knowledge gained by studying in the mother tongue will not be the same as in any other language. It is good to learn English only for communication.
    Sobha Wilson
    Lighted to Lighten

Many terms especially technical terms will be in English only. Unless otherwise, we use those words commonly we can not follow the subject. So the subject will become a kichadi with some words in English and some words in the local language. All the teachers who will be teaching will not be conversant with the local language. So they can't teach properly in the local language. So the student will be at a loss.
    The number of subject books in the local language will be less or even may not be there. So the student has to study the books in English. Practically he has to study in English medium only. What purpose the change is going to achieve? Only for the sake of telling, we can say the study is in local language medium.

drrao
    always confident

Teaching of technical subjects in the engineering colleges may dilute the standards of the passed out candidates since the translations from English Languages to the other languages may not be appropriate matching the exact meanings of the terms. Hence prior to introduction of technical education in other languages, a committee should be formed to examine whether the transalated terms in the different languages don't loose originality of the original words. Such a process may take inordinate time in standardising the entire texts of any stream of engineering.
    Again we will have to see its impact because of the changing system and needs some assessment how far they will be in a position to compete with the standards adopted by the foreign universities. This would be required if they are interested in persuing their studies in a foreign country.

I appreciate this step of the government if they are planning to give an opportunity to students to study in their mother tongues but practically, it's not possible. Hundreds of languages are spoken in our country. Some of the languages like Bengali, Tamil, Kannada, Punjabi etc are main languages which are mother tongues of large number of people in different regions but some languages which are also the mother tongues of large number of people like Haryanvi, Bhojpuri, Gharwali, Kumaoni, Pali, Biraj, Rajasthani, Maithili etc. Will the government facilitate all students to study in their mother tongues? I doubt because it requires to cover a vast network of mother tongues spread in the entire country. However, it is feasible to start imparting education in states official languages.

But what about other courses besides engineering? Will English be continued for them?

An Engineer should have more mathematical calculations and should have technical knowledge. Mother tongue, state language both are necessary for him to start up his career in his own native place. There will be problems for students whose mother tongue is different from the state language as they cannot speak and convince customers. Presently, English is a common language used in most of the states, in some Hindi too. If the course is only taught in the mother tongue, the groups of engineers from all the states cannot come together for any conferences where a common language will be used. Hence it is the need of the student to look out for the words relating to his mother tongue, to understand the subject and then specialize on it. This may not be a good thought as suggested by the Government. If such a drastic decision is considered people may have to stay within their own state for their livelihood.
    Lead the leader

I do not appreciate the idea of Engineering course in Mother tongue for varied reasons. That we have not studied the basic education in mother tongue and we do not know the extensive use of technical names in the Engineering and that can have the translated version in mother tongue. The Engineering is the high end course which need to be interpreted and implemented through the field studies that does not have the support of mother tongue language. Moreover the major setback is the teaching faculty and the labs that needed to be upgraded to the mother tongue language level for which no state has either has the expertise or know how to move about. And most of the qualified engineers are wanted across the globe and if we are in the frame of our mother tongue qualified level, then the opportunities lost.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Engineering is a technical course and to study it in a native language is not a good idea. There are many reasons for the same.
    1. The teaching staff including professors and others would be comfortable with teaching in English only as they studied the course in English.
    2. Apart from textbooks, students also need to refer to other books as references. And all books for engineering are in English only.
    3. The internship is required to be done in related firms and companies as a part of the curriculum of the Engineering and there also the students need to perform in English.
    4. After graduation, if a candidate wants to go for higher studies, he or she will not be able to manage the course in English.
    5. Lastly, for jobs, knowing English is an important aspect as most of the technology firms are multinationals and their work is based on the English language only.

Apart from all the above points, the student will face a big problem in learning the technical terms in their native language as many of such terms are more commonly used in English only. After allowing the engineering in native languages, we will lose the uniformity of the qualification even in our own country and students will not be able to compete with the students belonging to different regions. Although the main syllabus will be the same as the teaching, and the reference books studied by them will matter a lot.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

We have noticed that there are competitive exams for technical courses. If all engineering students from various states learn through mother tongue, may be conducting competitive exams will be a difficult task. The paper cost will be high and we cannot get evaluators from all the states for correcting a few students answer scripts.
    Lead the leader

To answer the question first, on being interested in pursuing an engineering course on mother tongue -

1) I feel on a practical scale this would be tad bit difficult for students who have completed their basic school education in an English medium. On the other hand the students from Government school background, mostly receive their education of all subjects in mother tongue, so engineering degree in native language should be a boon for them in this way.

2) Another aspect is, students from all over India apply for admission in the engineering colleges and this is not region specific. How many native language professors can we arrange on a single campus? If we arrange for teachers who are versed in Hindi/Punjabi etc, the students coming in from the South will face difficulty and viceversa.

3) Going forward, we also need to think over the job opportunities available for the students who receive their degree in mother tongue, engineering being a professional undergraduate course.
    Most of the students land up with jobs in MNCs and English not being the mode of their graduation degree will again be a challenge in the long run.

India is a home to more than 1000 mother tongues. To change the language of Education effectively, this has to be taken forward from the grass roots, not at the intermediate level.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.