You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A unique weekend activity - cooking MAP!

We've had some Make A Prediction (MAP) activities for sports' events, so I thought, why not one for cooking?! We'll upload a photo only of the ingredients that we are going to use for a dish about to be made and ask a few questions, including what was the dish. Thus, members will be predicting what dish you were going to prepare with those ingredients.

Note that this is not a reward program. It is just something enjoyable to do over the weekend and you can get your family involved too, guessing what the dish to be made is.

This is how it will work - you take a photo of the ingredients, post a response asking 2-3 questions (not more), and upload a photo as an attachment to that same response. As soon as somebody gets the answers right to all your questions (not just one correct), you have to say it is the right answer. Then, another member will post his/her response and photo. A member should not post more than three photos totally.

Interested? I'll start off with the first photo and let's hope others join in too (and not just the ladies!).

[Note- kindly do not change your list of answers once you submit it.]
    Here's my first photo and questions-
    1. Other than oil and water, which are the four things put in?
    2. For taste later, which two ingredients that I added to it?
    3. What is the final dish? Be very specific about its name.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Delete Attachment

From the picture given above, my deductions are as follows -
    1. Other than oil and water the four things apparently seen in it are carrot, onion, garlic, and bay leaf.
    2. Bay leaf and garlic.
    3. Vegetable soup.

Knowledge is power.

1. Onion - Tomato - Carrot - Garlic
    2. Salt & vinegar
    3. Carrot soup.

No life without Sun

I think Sun has got it right, we can cumin seeds for flavour too.
    Lead the leader

Sharada,
    It is Vandana's dish. She can only declare the result.

No life without Sun

1. Carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaf

2. Salt and pepper

3. Carrot soup

shampasaid

As yet, nobody has got it perfectly right, but Shampa is so very, very close (hint, hint)! Before I go offline, I will reveal the answers otherwise it will be a lengthy wait for the next dish of another member.
    When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

The answers-
    1. Carrots, onions, almonds, bay leaf.
    2. Salt and Pepper.
    3. Carrot Almond Soup

Enjoy the Soup!

Delete Attachment

I am presenting my first cooking venture, it's photo, and the associated question. This is going to be a partially cooked vegetable dish or say a blanched mix vegetable dish after the cooking is completed. Right now, I have cut some common household vegetables in small pieces and mixed them in this rectangular bowl as shown in this photo. There is no oil or water or spices at this time as I will be adding them later. There are total 8 ingredients, all of them normal common vegetables except one that is bottle gourd peelings which are chopped and mixed in this.
    Now, you have to tell the remaining 7 ingredients there. Remember right now there is no oil or water or salt or spice added so far.

Knowledge is power.

Delete Attachment

My guess of the 7 ingredients in the photo submitted by Umesh (with the last one guessed by my sister)-
    1. Tomato
    2. Green Capsicum
    3. Onion
    4. Garlic
    5. Pink radish
    6. Yellow pumpkin
    7. Paneer

A difficult mix to identify. However, I could guess the following.
    Onion - Tomato - Capsicum - Panneer - Garlic - Coriander leaves - Puthina leaves.
    Let me see my accuracy.

No life without Sun

It is really a difficult one to guess and here is my list of predictions-
    Tomato, Capsicum, Green peas, Garlic, bottle gourd, carrot, onion.

I am late to post a response for the first photo and I regret that as I could easily identify the peeled almonds.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

We have received some good observations and I request the other members also to post their observations or predictions by the evening today as I will be telling the actual ingredients and closing this by 9 PM today giving way to the next person submitting the challenge of his cooking ingredients.
    I think as I had made all the vegetables in almost same sized pieces it might had made the challenge a bit difficult.

Knowledge is power.

Now I am closing this challenge and disclosing the 7 ingredients shown in the photograph. The ingredient in my above challenge were -
    Garlic, Tomato, Green capsicum, Potato, Onion, Green Peas, and Raw banana (which is resembling with Paneer).
    Thanks to all for participating in this interesting 'make a prediction' activity. Will be waiting for next member to upload his challenge.

Knowledge is power.

My Post.
    Q, 1. What are the seven(7) ingredients in the image?
    Q. 2. I would be adding two ingredients, a liquid and a powder to taste. What is the liquid and powder.
    Q3. What is the name of the dish?

Clue: It is a southern side dish.

No life without Sun

The image here
    No life without Sun

Delete Attachment

1. This one is again very difficult to guess at least for me. Still, I would like to try-grated coconut, onion, roasted chana dal, green chili, ginger, and garlic. I am not able to guess the other 1 ingredient.
    2. For the second question, water and salt could be the answer.
    3. Coconut chutney

Padmini

From the clue given it should be a chutney only. I am finding the following ingredients in it -
    1. Chana dal.
    2. Coconut.
    3. Whole urad dal.
    4. Green chilli.
    5. Salt.
    6. Onion.
    7. Rai grains.

Knowledge is power.

Members,
    I received a quick response from Padmini within a few minutes, and I waited. Umesh posted his response after 16 hrs. I am still waiting for others. I will wait upto 1900 hrs to declare the right ingredients, the dish and the results.

Feeling sorry for not seeing ME Vandana's guess.

No life without Sun

I completely forgot about this MAP!!! I was busy completing an article, went to 'New Posts' to check if it appeared there, and popped in here on seeing a response to this thread.

My guess of the 7 ingredients- grated coconut, finely chopped green chillies, chopped onion, chana dal, peppercorns, a few bits of coriander leaves, oil (likely used in roasting dal and chillies).
    Going to add - salt and water.
    Dish- Coconut chutney

Sun - you have to upload the photo as an attachment to the response where you put the questions, and not to a separate response.

Umesh- nobody thought of potato, which is such a common vegetable and often added to a mixed vegetable dish! The raw banana was a tough guess, though. A good challenge from you, well done.

I don't wish to keep the members waiting on line.
    Padmini is right with six ingredients. Umesh is right with 3 ingredients. Vandana is right with 3 ingredients.

The Ingredients are :
    1. Grated Coconut.
    2. Fried Chana Dal
    3. Cut Green Chillies
    4. Cut Onion (Small)
    5. Cut Garlic
    6. Ginger
    7. Tamarind

The other two ingredients are Water and Salt. Add them and grind them in a mixie.
    The dish - Coconut Chutney is ready.

Hearty Congrats to Padmini for winning with a single miss.

No life without Sun

The final product is as shown in the image.
    No life without Sun

Delete Attachment

Sun - I repeat - you need to upload the photo in the same response and not in two different responses.

Members seem to be disinterested in this activity. I was hoping some of the forum participants would join in and sustain this thread till the next weekend. Even if one photo is uploaded, that would be great and, if that also is not possible, they could participate in the guesswork of others' photos, at least.

Sorry Vandana,
    I had difficulty uploading my images along with the response. It did not work. Hence, a separate response.
    Surely, members are not interested in this activity. Because you have not opened your cash box for this activity. Have some cash attached to this to attract members to have a look at it and participate with some interest.

No life without Sun

Wow! I am happy that whatever I guessed for Sun's recipe is correct. I could not locate the tamarind in the photo even now.
    I thought of posting the photo but then I completely forgot to click one while preparing lunch.

Padmini

It was a good challenge. We all eat this chutney whenever we take the South Indian dishes. I have eaten this many times but still I missed some of the ingredients like Ginger, Garlic, and Tamrind.
    Knowledge is power.

Umesh is right - while garlic is not necessarily used by everyone, ginger and tamarind are commonly used ingredients for chutney. Though I do not use tamarind, can't fathom why I did not think of ginger, as that goes into the jar without fail for every chutney that I make.

Looks like total disinterest from members for this cooking MAP. Anyway, let me put up one more photo. My questions are-
    1. Other than salt, turmeric, water, and oil what are the six ingredients in this bowl? (hint - one is a powder and one is a liquid).
    2. To what did I add this mixture?
    3. Putting 1 inside 2, what's the dish I made?

Delete Attachment

My guess:
    1.The powder is - Pepper powder
    2.The Liquid is - Vinegar
    Other4 items -
    1. Lady finger(Bindi),
    2. Capsicum,
    3. Green Chilly,
    4. Coriander leaves.

No life without Sun

I am not good at cooking but still, I will give it a try-
    1. Besan (Gram flour), coriander leaves, green chili, fenugreek leaves, mustard seeds, and Lemon Juice
    2. Maybe wheat flour
    3. I guess, it was a yummy stuffed paratha.

Padmini

This is a tricky one as many things are hidden from us but let me also make an attempt from my limited culinary skills. I am also taking some clues from the guesswork made by Sun and Padmini.
    1. Gram flour, coriander leaves, green chillies, fennel seeds (saunf), small rai seeds, and pepper powder.
    2. The items in 1 will be mixed with or inserted in a thick paste or assemblage of boiled potato and gram flour.
    3. The final product could be a tasty bonda (pakoda type preparation).

Knowledge is power.

The answer-
    Ingredients:
    1. Peas
    2. Chopped coriander leaves
    3. Coriander powder
    4. Chopped ginger
    5. Lemon juice
    6. Jeera

Added to: Wheat flour; put in the centre and rolled out.
    The dish: Peas Paratha

My good lady was about to prepare a good fry dish. I asked her to keep all the ingredients ready. But she went ahead and cooked the dish. I scolded her, but I like the dish she prepared. I am placing the image. Kindly find out the exact dish.

1. An important vegetable with fiber content (White in colour but turned brown after frying )has been used. What is that vegetable?
    2. In addition to Oil, Mustard, Jeera, Garlic, Onion & salt, she has used 5 ingredients. What are they?
    3. What is the name of the dish?

No life without Sun

Delete Attachment

1. Maybe radish.
    2. Curry leaves, green chillies, dhania powder, peas as an additional vegetable, a dash of lemon juice.
    3. Radish=peas mixed vegetable.

Today, the thread would be completing its 10th day and would become old and dead tomorrow. Any response would be considered irrelevant tomorrow. Hence, without waiting for any further response from our members, I am declaring the dish now.

The five additional ingredients are - Chilly powder, Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Grated coconut, Curry leaves.
    The vegetable used is - Plantain stem.
    The name of the dish is - Plantain stem fried (Vaazhai Thandu Poriyal in Tamil). It has medicinal value. It cures Hernia.

No life without Sun

I could not participate in earlier ones but let me now try this one.
    1. The vegetable used is probably raw peeled banana.
    2. Curry leaves, Green chillies, Coriander power, Turmeric powder, and Mango powder.
    3. Name could be - dry banana bhujia.

Thoughts exchanged is knowledge gained.

This one is really difficult as the vegetable is changing its colour. Still, let me guess about it.
    1. It is chopped cauliflower.
    2. Curry leaves, Green chillies, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, and little lemon juice.
    3. Difficult to tell the local name but it may be something like - fried cauliflower vegetable.

Knowledge is power.

Today I am going to prepare a mixed dry vegetable and already cut the required items for it. A photograph of these items is shown as attached to this post. You have to tell the items in this picture.
    Later, when I cook this vegetable then I will add the oil, spices, salt, and some water to it.
    Please identify the items in this picture. There are 10 items in it.

Delete Attachment

Sun has not yet provided the answers.

Neeru - the thread crossed the 10-day mark and it would have been better to raise a separate thread with your photo. We will allow it for now and consider it to be the last one. No further contributions to this activity, please.

Vandana,
    Kindly read my response #178531.
    I already declared the ingredients quoting the reason for declaration. It is ' Plantain stem fry'

No life without Sun

Neeru, My guess
    1. Onion,
    2. Green Peas
    3. Tomato
    4. Ginger
    5. Cauliflower
    6. Meal maker(soya chunks)
    7.Coriander leaves
    8. Panneer
    9. Potato
    10. Grated coconut(doubtful)

No life without Sun

Sorry, Sun. I'm doing what sometimes I scold members for doing - skimming over text!

My guess for Neeru's photo: onions, tomatoes, carrots, peas, cauliflower, potatoes, paneer cubes, soya chunks (nuggets), garlic, and coriander leaves.

I guess, the ingredients in Neeru's dish are onion, tomato, paneer, coriander leaves, soya chunks, green peas, cauliflower, potato, garlic and carrots.
    This time, I found it easier to guess but still doubtful about few ingredients.

Padmini

Good guess by all of you. As the thread is getting stretched longer I close my part by telling the items in the picture -
    1. Onion.
    2. Green Peas.
    3. Tomato.
    4. Grated Ginger.
    5. Cauliflower.
    6. Soya chunks.
    7. Coriander leaves.
    8. Paneer.
    9. Potato.
    10. Carrot.

Thanks. I got 9/10. I missed the carrot and inserted coconut. Others have added Garlic wrongly.
    A good and simple dish. In the south, such dishes will have coconut added.

No life without Sun

Thanks to all for participating in solving my picture puzzle. It was really a great fun activity.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.